Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree698Likes

Handout motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
You see that is the one big mistake ,You dont have to make a motor from only one manufacturer . If the specifications of the motor you want to use are well defined to the point where all the manufactuers parts are interchageable , they could all make the motor.
Ideally.. but come on. These companies do profit dollar wise and status wise on motor sales / development. Every top tier manufacture atm keep revising their very own design each year

Pooling together is a long shot
Old 03-13-2018, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RacinJ
What class needs these most???

Any class that has people concerned about motor of the week. Or, any class that is labelled "Sportsman" or "Amateur" at a large event.

Handout motors worked well for years at big races. Why not try it again?

It's definitely not a perfect solution or a fix-all but worth a shot.
Because motors have evolved. No comparison
Old 03-13-2018, 05:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

its not the motors or ESC or chassis or sponsors...its US, the racers....there is no fix. Racers have to have limits and understand that your limit isn't my limit. You have to be willing to adjust and be honest with yourself about where you belong. But at the same time be aware that you have a real life outside of the hobby that may keep you from being that top guy that you want to be...all I'm saying is that racer are the issue not anything else.....find some new racers and groom them, then you will find your solution
davidl likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
Ok, how about we get the motor costs down around $50 a motor instead of $150 and make ROAR keep a set of specs the same. Once it is set this is what we are going to keep and not go below it.
It's hard enough to build motors with tight tolerances at the current price. If you drop the price that much, quality is the first thing to go.

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
Also, to ensure that the manufactures keep in accordance with the specs and rules, make it so that if a motor is found not to be legal at a major race then that manufacture motor will not be legal for a set amount of time, say 6 months or a year.
You can't ban an entire product range if a single motor is found out of tolerance at an event. Especially if you do that with a cheap motor. They'd all be banned pretty quickly.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Back in the old days in Florida our series sent out bids every year for stock motors. Each racer had 3 motors in the box. If you did not turn them in at the end of the race you could buy another. When I did a Region rave I got 3 cases of motors. Just to make sure every motor worked I tested each one and put them in three groups. The every best motor was keep out of the mix. A motor out of the first box won the region race. Only I knew that information. I was only one of three racers to do 16 laps on our track that weekend. The other 7 racers in the A were in the 15 lap range. I've never told anyone about what i did until now. Oh and I did not work on my motor or charge my batteries. I had other people do that for me as i was running the race.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

A control motor will not fix stock racing because the racer who came first last year will come first this year as simple as that because his or hers success is in their driving ability and chassis setup nothing more nothing less.
The Way to fix Stock is for the top 3 or 5 to move up a class thus giving the others the opportunity to improve.
Control motor may it be fixed timing or not and a fixed FDR gearing will not solve anything.
davidl, dawgmeat, caltek1 and 1 others like this.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by COBRARACING
A control motor will not fix stock racing because the racer who came first last year will come first this year as simple as that because his or hers success is in their driving ability and chassis setup nothing more nothing less.
The Way to fix Stock is for the top 3 or 5 to move up a class thus giving the others the opportunity to improve.
100% spot on Angelo could not agree more.

Definitely “some” validity to have a common motor for entry level - ie: Mabucchi silver can style - but when people then try to work around the system to not treat it as entry level it falls over.

Clive
sohc_427 likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cplus
100% spot on Angelo could not agree more.

Definitely “some” validity to have a common motor for entry level - ie: Mabucchi silver can style - but when people then try to work around the system to not treat it as entry level it falls over.

Clive
Entry level 25.5T Fixed for beginners is the Go.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by COBRARACING
Entry level 25.5T Fixed for beginners is the Go.
Yep - something. It’s the “forcing” people to move up that is hard.

As you know, people *wanted* 21.5 here (not everywhere, but near enough) Let’s see how it goes. We’ve done our best to provide a somewhat “level” playing field with the motors - but it won’t be perfect, no doubt.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cplus
Yep - something. It’s the “forcing” people to move up that is hard.

As you know, people *wanted* 21.5 here (not everywhere, but near enough) Let’s see how it goes. We’ve done our best to provide a somewhat “level” playing field with the motors - but it won’t be perfect, no doubt.
Good luck with it all you are going to need it because the fall out is going to be huge if it doesn't turn out i hope you have done your home work correctly especially with motor setups because myself being an engineer and deeply involved in the design of the G3 series from HW you have your work cut out big time many factors will change with 10-15% difference between each motor that will be 100% out of your control but you will get the blame for it all i know its unfair but thats how it works when dealing with the racers.

Good luck Clive .
Old 03-13-2018, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme
OH boy this one is going to blow up

Which classes need it the worst?
How can the motor manufactures still showcase their product?
Cheap fixed/sealed motor or standard motors all set the same?
Does a specific wind matter or a unspecified motor labeled as "stock"? (similar to 360v2.

I will try not to comment, I want to hear other opinions

let the fun commence
I'm old and slow so when I hear "handout" I think of silver can 20 turns or whoever is sponsoring that events brushed 27 turn with lock tabs. One of the things I was hoping with the brush-less motors is that they would be the same in performance regardless of who they came from. That sure didn't pan out. Even the "spec" stuff is different from one company to another. Even though there are rules about no timing and what kv they are the programming is different from each esc. Til that is addressed I don't feel there is any real spec classes anymore.

But that's me and if you haven't read some of other post I'm a brush motor hold out. There is so much more you could do with them without need a damm laptop!
miller tyme and Lone Drifter like this.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Off Road in Australia has had control motors for Stock for the past year or two.
miller tyme likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Miller_time,

The handout class at the US Indoor Champs worked great. It was a high quality motor that could be used after the race. The racing was very tight and was a lot of fun. I like the idea of handout motors for stock classes: 21.5 TC, USGT, USVTA, 17.5 12th scale and maybe leave super stock as it is. Get back to the brushed days where each race could be a different motor based on bids from the manufacturer.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Some people just completely miss the whole dang point of the post.

EA
hanulec likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have mixed emotions about this. First, I think I am in need of a new 21.5 motor as mine is 18 months old. I think that running mod with any motor more or less evens the playing field as I can always tweak the ESC settings. The problem that I face my is that I really do not belong in Mod at the larger races unless there are B mains etc. To me it is not racing when I have to pull over from what I call the pro's as I want to exude driver etiquette. With Mod I can run any motor and wear tires more.....with 21.5 or 17.5 I have to buy motors and batteries more often..... I kinda like the idea of spec motors and also believe that it will level the playing field a little, but the cream will still rise to the top.

At a club race a guy was running a 17.5 motor and had the same times as good Mod racers. He pulled people down the straight and out accelerated them. Some guys are discouraged by this....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.