Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree698Likes

Handout motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

After witnessing the shellacking that many of the top drivers took at the hands of Andrew Knapp I have to say that there is a serious problem going in the hobby.The motor wars seemed to have heated again just look back as little as 4 yrs ago nobody was running away.No offense to Andrew BTW he kicked ass.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

For those that don't acknowledge the motors are getting faster... The top three 1/12th scale guys at my home track all came in with the newest cream of the crop 17.5 motors this year. We are running on a very small track and are currently knocking down 72-73 laps in 8 minutes (it's a very small track with a fast lap in the 6.2x range). We are running 17.5 blinky with spec tires. The last time we could run that many laps was when we ran open tire, 13.5 boosted years ago.

Do I want to slow it down? Nope
knapster and miller tyme like this.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Tech Lord

I always have wondered how it can be that you have to run a spec class like the 17.5 and may spend thousends of dollars to let it run as a modified (if possible).
I have grown up with the idea that a spec/stock motor is something you take out of the box and mount it in the car w/o any tweaking and changes but even today with brushless that is far from the case.

But yes, look at the ETS, it is a very populair racing series with a 13.5T handout motor running a spec or blinky ESC and all motors are very close the same spec.

No people are whining it is too slow, too fast or they may not tweak the motors, they just run it as it is.
To be honest, that makes the handout so much better.
- it makes racing cheaper due a mass buy of 1 brand/model motor
- all running the same powerplant makes it more close racing
- people will not have questions of what tricks others are using
- people know the differences are comming from the car and driving
Old 03-15-2018, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

money cant be part of he equation.... cause some of us have deep pockets....

1 motor will not fix it if a racer will still purchase 10 to get one good 1....handout motors will not work unless it comes from the top....such as ROAR. They would have to mandate a spec motor with VERY strick build for company to follow.

Not likely to happen unless we feel the rules that were just revised is a fail....and I dont think it is. Some motors are just better than others, just like some esc,chassis, and batteries are////
davidl likes this.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All you youngsters through out the years have been several hot drivers. I've seen most of them. Now your trying to blame AK get real.
SocalSnakeEyes likes this.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
All you youngsters through out the years have been several hot drivers. I've seen most of them. Now your trying to blame AK get real.
Remember when the paradox came out? Not only was it rebuildable but it was so much faster that anyone running it got called a sandbagger. At least till everyone had one.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Tech Rookie

What if there was a small cheap device that would control or "limit" car accelerations? The acceleration limit would be set well below the slowest motor used, therefore eliminating the need for the motor/battery of the week. And frankly you might be able to run any motor you have lying around.

Don't worry about the technical details. Would anybody want to race this class?
Old 03-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This thread has gone off the deep end! You can't win you blame everyone but yourself. Just go out and enjoy your hobby or find a new one!!!!!!!!!
SocalSnakeEyes and knapster like this.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
money cant be part of he equation.... cause some of us have deep pockets....

1 motor will not fix it if a racer will still purchase 10 to get one good 1....handout motors will not work unless it comes from the top....such as ROAR. They would have to mandate a spec motor with VERY strick build for company to follow.

Not likely to happen unless we feel the rules that were just revised is a fail....and I dont think it is. Some motors are just better than others, just like some esc,chassis, and batteries are////
Money has been a main part of spec racing from day one. ROAR had a $50? max on brushed motors in the day to help control casts of stock class racing. If you wanted to spend more for your club racing that was on you. But at big races you got one maybe two and they had a number on them so you couldn't use a motor from your stuff that looked just like the handout.

Even NASCAR does it with there efi systems. They even have fixed programming for each engine type that makes them as close as they can be on the dyno. As I have posted before, spec needs to be everyone running that type of car in the race have the same ESC, Motor and, programming for it to be a true spec class. That is likely why Spec Slash works so well at most tracks. You can't change much so you better know how to drive!

The point for all of this should be do what you want in mod class but, don't complain when the factory guy that has been playing RC car from the time he could stand up passes you with his spec car. And, if his sponsor wants him to run a spec class, that's his job too. Yes, he will be faster then you! Learn from his lines instead of like a four year old about how quick his lap times are.
knapster likes this.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nickoftime
What if there was a small cheap device that would control or "limit" car accelerations? The acceleration limit would be set well below the slowest motor used, therefore eliminating the need for the motor/battery of the week. And frankly you might be able to run any motor you have lying around.

Don't worry about the technical details. Would anybody want to race this class?
You could but that would mean just another $100 part to buy on top of everything else.

A Just Stock ESC and Motor combo goes for about $100. That's less then what I would spend for a good ESC and motor back in the brushed days. Everyone runs that, no one has the advantage. Or maybe I should just go talk to a rock. I think I'll do that.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
well thats sounds pretty good...

so we(us racers) want to slow the cars down to get more racers, and then push the slower motors to crazy speeds that the new guy cant handle it , so then we create another slower class to help the new guys and give the fast guys their class back , then the new class ....OMG......this is retarded....

Mod and VTA sound better everyday.....
Stock class, for both motors and batteries has gotten insane. For a local track, it is a simple thing called “Novice” class or create your own local class for new racers to start in so they can have fun racing while improving their skills if a concern is bringing in new racers. Just becomes an issue when you have a five year "vetran" Novice driver who will not move up to Sportsman. Wish F1 could go back to at least 21.5 where your driving skill could make up the couple of tenths you might lose not having “the” motor and battery and why I am enjoying running mod sedan now because if I want to go faster, I just need to learn to drive better.

Panda 🐼
freebird, NutDriver and scirocco14 like this.

Last edited by Kevin CBR; 03-15-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Stock class, for both motors and batteries has gotten insane. For a local track, it is a simple thing called “Novice” class or create your own local class for new racers to start in so they can have fun racing while improving their skills if a concern is bringing in new racers. Just becomes an issue when you have a five year "vetran" Novice driver who will not move up to Sportsman. Wish F1 could go back to at least 21.5 where your driving skill could make up the couple of tenths you might lose not having “the” motor and battery and why I am enjoying running mod sedan now because if I want to go faster, I just need to learn to drive better.

Panda 🐼
easy way to fix that is to program the guys transponder and everytime he goes thru the loop the computer says "sandbagger"
Kevin CBR and miller tyme like this.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SocalSnakeEyes
You could but that would mean just another $100 part to buy on top of everything else.

A Just Stock ESC and Motor combo goes for about $100. That's less then what I would spend for a good ESC and motor back in the brushed days. Everyone runs that, no one has the advantage. Or maybe I should just go talk to a rock. I think I'll do that.
This is what I did @ my track and its a hit. No more motor of the month and people are leaving with big smiles(even the guys in last). I even fixed the final drive. We run on asphalt 90x50 low/medium grip track.

We get between 21 to 27 cars a race. Should build up more this year. I'm getting a lot of texts asking about it and they seem excited about it. We'll see what happens this year.

Check out hobbytowninternationalraceway.com
NutDriver likes this.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This thread had a very simple question.. Which classes need spec motors the most. This isn't that complicated
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racermac73
This thread had a very simple question.. Which classes need spec motors the most. This isn't that complicated
and the thoughts on a fixed locked from the manufacture, tolerances included or a standard motor that is built and all set the same, the obvious differences being cost and speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.