Like Tree641Likes

Handout motors

Old 03-14-2018, 12:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Some people will spend whatever it takes to win....period on that.
Roar set a minimum spec now (August) so motors will be a lot closer. Brushed motors aren't the answer. Just look at Titans and The S3D Titan. 30 percent more power WTF??
So two options are left really. Force driver based on skill and win count to move up. The second is break out classes and run what you brung.
Or go way far out there and do competition weight like SCAA does. For ever win you get said weight added. Cool right?
Old 03-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Obviously not married, us married guys don't keep track for legality purposes
LMAO!!!! For a small fee Joe @ Access Hobbies will create a receipt to show your wife what you say you spent.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Obviously not married, us married guys don't keep track for legality purposes
Lol
I bet my box of useless (or slow) motors is much bigger than yours Justin...
Old 03-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Lol
I bet my box of useless (or slow) motors is much bigger than yours Justin...
I'm sure it is . I've ran every motor at some point for a decent amount of time. Lol now 2yrs ago ... When hot motors changed 3-4 times that was a expensive season .... I probably bought 3/4 new motors per race ... In till the reedyM3 came out then bought 6 just for birds ...
Good thing I'm not married or I would probably pimp her out to buy more toys 😝
RBLove likes this.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Let's not overlook those lucky folks that have access to motors in every increment of resistance that can game the system by taking progressively better motors through tech until they find the limit and settle in just above it.
Jack Kloeber likes this.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Volksford View Post
Some people will spend whatever it takes to win....period on that.
Roar set a minimum spec now (August) so motors will be a lot closer. Brushed motors aren't the answer. Just look at Titans and The S3D Titan. 30 percent more power WTF??
So two options are left really. Force driver based on skill and win count to move up. The second is break out classes and run what you brung.
Or go way far out there and do competition weight like SCAA does. For ever win you get said weight added. Cool right?
Your right about todays brushed motors they are absolute crap, I was not always that way.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Part of the reason I have always felt for the motor wars is tied to what I like to call the "dumbing down" of American RC racing. The drumbeat the last few years has been how the motors are too fast, we have to slow things down so 13.5 TC disappeared and was replaced with 17.5. 17.5 TC became 21.5. 21.5 F1 became 25.5. When you drop down in motor power, that little, tiny, itty bitty difference is magnified. You never hear about motor complaints in mod. I just started running mod sedan at our local indoor carpet track that is about 85' x 45' using a two year old 4.5 motor and two year old 6200 mah batteies and still more power than I can handle. If sedan went back to say 10.5 and 13.5 or F1 to 21.5 or even 17.5, now it comes down to the person with more skill who can handle say 80-90% of the power available vs the guy who can only handle say 70% of the total power. When you have a power band that 50% or more of the field can handle the full power, then having that "little" advantage via motor makes a big difference. Motor companies are a business and will push the envelope to be the best motor as that generates sales. Drivers will also look for that little advantage that puts them ahead. Racing in any form, whether RC cars or real 700HP 1:1 scale, push the envelope to win. It's all about win on Sunday, sell on Monday. I still run 17.5 sedan locally but will try mod sedan at the MHIC race in April. So to those also running Mod at that race..... I apologize in advance.

Panda
davidl, jiml, Thunderbunny and 3 others like this.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (99%+)

There's always lawn darts and bowling.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR View Post
Part of the reason I have always felt for the motor wars is tied to what I like to call the "dumbing down" of American RC racing. The drumbeat the last few years has been how the motors are too fast, we have to slow things down so 13.5 TC disappeared and was replaced with 17.5. 17.5 TC became 21.5. 21.5 F1 became 25.5. When you drop down in motor power, that little, tiny, itty bitty difference is magnified. You never hear about motor complaints in mod. I just started running mod sedan at our local indoor carpet track that is about 85' x 45' using a two year old 4.5 motor and two year old 6200 mah batteies and still more power than I can handle. If sedan went back to say 10.5 and 13.5 or F1 to 21.5 or even 17.5, now it comes down to the person with more skill who can handle say 80-90% of the power available vs the guy who can only handle say 70% of the total power. When you have a power band that 50% or more of the field can handle the full power, then having that "little" advantage via motor makes a big difference. Motor companies are a business and will push the envelope to be the best motor as that generates sales. Drivers will also look for that little advantage that puts them ahead. Racing in any form, whether RC cars or real 700HP 1:1 scale, push the envelope to win. It's all about win on Sunday, sell on Monday. I still run 17.5 sedan locally but will try mod sedan at the MHIC race in April. So to those also running Mod at that race..... I apologize in advance.

Panda
You keep them scared in TC and I will be the rolling chicane in 1/12 pan car. I only grazed Kevin Hebert in a qualifier last year, maybe this time I can do better.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would not be opposed to running a non blinky class in 17.5 or 21.5 TC. This may be an equalizer. Thoughts???
brad996 and miller tyme like this.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[QUOTE=MUDVAYNE;15182538[U]]Ok, then how did they keep the tight tolerances when they were making brushed motors? You still have the winds to consider, and the winds were the parts that were spinning[/U]. IMO there was more to go wrong in a brushed motor then a brushless./QUOTE]

They would take your motor and unwind it to count how many turns it had. This would of coarse destroy the motor. A real good reason not to cheat. Also costly if you where often tagged for cheating. With stock motor pre '99ish, they had locking tabs that discolored when pried on. With rebuild-ables they had tags in the winding that broke if you tried to remove any wire.
About all you could do was change brush types and spring strength. If you
had bucks you may have had a Magnet Zapper. But you had to take the motor apart to do that. Or you could turn the com down to almost nothing to get a few more rpms. You may get 3 races out of it doing that.

And now you know.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
You keep them scared in TC and I will be the rolling chicane in 1/12 pan car. I only grazed Kevin Hebert in a qualifier last year, maybe this time I can do better.
Deal !

Panda
Old 03-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR View Post

Panda
well thats sounds pretty good...

so we(us racers) want to slow the cars down to get more racers, and then push the slower motors to crazy speeds that the new guy cant handle it , so then we create another slower class to help the new guys and give the fast guys their class back , then the new class ....OMG......this is retarded....

Mod and VTA sound better everyday.....
davidl likes this.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post

so we(us racers) want to slow the cars down to get more racers, and then push the slower motors to crazy speeds that the new guy cant handle it , so then we create another slower class to help the new guys and give the fast guys their class back , then the new class ....OMG......this is retarded....

Not far off ...
USVTA
Usgt
Spec handout
Mod .
Only 4 classes needed in TC...
mooby64 and xps800doo like this.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post

Although this is a common refrain, there is little evidence that slowing cars down will bring in more racers. No matter how many classes there are, you're always going to have sandbaggers driving people out.

On the other side of the coin, Mr. Hanulec and Mr. Lia have implemented a handout motor class, with very strict rules on the motors. The motor selected for 360V2 is a 13.5 motor. The turnout for this class is exceptional. And from what I hear, the racers are having fun again.

I totally get your point, and once thought as you do, but not every good idea works.
Kevin CBR and gigaplex like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service