Like Tree698Likes

Handout motors

Old 07-27-2018, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post

so because cheating is the norm now, we just accept it and carry on?

Weíve already covered how it works on a local level. Itís really not complicated.
The norm now? Iíve been doing this since the early 90ís and it was the norm then. If we didnít have to worry about it, can am wouldnít be a thing, tech inspections wouldnít be a thing. Itís an unfortunate part of this hobby and racin in general.

I completly agree that if you feel you need to cheat to win, that Iíd rather you stay home, by that, regrettably, is not how things work. Those guys still show up and the rest of the rule abiding community has to deal with them.

In regards to not banning manufacturers because all that would be left is Motiv, thatís the point. The only thing that drives any business is money, and when they lose it, and loose market share, the market will self correct. They will build the best legal motor they can to gain that share back.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
How does any of this apply to a sealed, tamper evident brushless motor?
It shows where we've been, and highlights why the new idea will work.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post

The norm now? Iíve been doing this since the early 90ís and it was the norm then. If we didnít have to worry about it, can am wouldnít be a thing, tech inspections wouldnít be a thing. Itís an unfortunate part of this hobby and racin in general.

I completly agree that if you feel you need to cheat to win, that Iíd rather you stay home, by that, regrettably, is not how things work. Those guys still show up and the rest of the rule abiding community has to deal with them.

In regards to not banning manufacturers because all that would be left is Motiv, thatís the point. The only thing that drives any business is money, and when they lose it, and loose market share, the market will self correct. They will build the best legal motor they can to gain that share back.
Lots of truth in this post. I'll only add that the more rules you try and add the more some will attempt to bend those rules to gain the advantage. It's no different in life, we have speed limits on highways for a reason but I'm willing to bet that not one person here can truthfully say that they have not been passed while going the posted speed limit. Instead of jumping the shark and coming up with all these kneejerk organizations and new rules what we should be doing as a racing community is supporting the new ROAR rules, and ROAR itself. But this does give me some good comic reading so please carry on.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

Racers supporting ROAR??? Now that's funny.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Racers supporting ROAR??? Now that's funny.
Why aren't the US racers supporting Roar like the European racers support the EFRA/IFMAR ???
Old 07-28-2018, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Why aren't the US racers supporting Roar like the European racers support the EFRA/IFMAR ???
The same reason this thread has 42 pages of posts, no one can agree on anything.

RC racing in Europe is way different than here. Not sure why. BTW EFRA is Europe, IFMAR is the international organization that covers everyone. They're the ones that put on the world championships.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

The same reason this thread has 42 pages of posts, no one can agree on anything.

RC racing in Europe is way different than here. Not sure why. BTW EFRA is Europe, IFMAR is the international organization that covers everyone. They're the ones that put on the world championships.
maybe is because of the classes they offer no need for everyone to get a trophy lol
Old 07-28-2018, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
maybe is because of the classes they offer no need for everyone to get a trophy lol
Isnt the F1 a handout class ?

Old 07-28-2018, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
Isnt the F1 a handout class ?
I have no idea I like the simplicity of the classes
Old 07-28-2018, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Lol, I remember a stink where if you had a Novak ESC running on one cell with a two cell receiver pack (AKA, racing carpet oval, or 1/12 scale) and you plugged in the pack with the switch on, power from the receiver pack would bleed through to the motor. Not a lot... but enough. I didn't believe it so I had to try it with mine, and like magic the motor would turn with no main battery hooked up at all.

I think this lead to some regs where they had you pull your ESC's red lead wire from the receiver.
So did the x-pak make it through the entire run or did it dump? The reason I pulled the red wire in my car was to eliminate radio problems. My car was not drivable till I removed that wire.

Last edited by davidl; 07-28-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post

I have no idea I like the simplicity of the classes
Ive been trying to find info on tue classes bit it seems ifmar F1 is handout . so that does keep things simple . mod or handout ....

Marcos.J likes this.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hopefully folks here in the US can get together and agree on something soon or else participation will continue to go down....
Old 07-28-2018, 05:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
its an interesting question. As a newer racer I think the simple answer is the sheer size of the States. And the wide range of different racing groups. Itís very easy for someone to race for years and never attend a ďROAR sanctioned eventĒ. Actually probably the majority donít. Local clubs allowing Hpi tires for VTA to make members happy. Being flexible about bodies for classes. My group didnít care that couple of us didnít use USGT bodies for most of out first year. They just wanted us racing.

I could be wrong but it seems the European groups do more then just create rules. They seem to help promote the hobby more. From those I race with that having been racing for 10-20+ years. They see roar as just a rules maker. And only concerned about ďbig eventsĒ.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
its an interesting question. .
Is it?
From what I have experienced is that most alternitive competitions are setup due a dislike of the rules of the main organisation like ROAR. Athough rules are proposed and voted in a democratic way many racers find themselves unheard. And from what I have seen wit many AGM's I have attended in my country and on EFRA level is that most people at the AGM are not backing their drivers, in some cases they think they do right but in other cases it is most of the time for themselves or their sponsors. And do not forget that many drivers have no idea or have no interest to have an infuence on how the vote must be done.
Weird enough competitions like ETS and ENS have no democratic influence from drivers and are yet most populair.....

Another reason has to do with starters, they think they have no fun with a 100 page rulebook while only a few pages are important for the basic rules like weight, dimensiones, motorrengine limits etc. The rest is needed to close gaps in the rules and outrule other possibillities.
Funny thing is that I have seen a starting competition close by. Finally the feeling of competition did pop up with many drivers and they did see that some things could be unfair so the list of rules did became larger......
Old 11-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I remember in the old days of sealed stock igarashi motors. We would do two things to them. One was water dip them to break them in and the second was to wrench them to increase the timing (had to be careful because you could break wiring). Also some motors were just plain faster out of the box.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.