Old 07-26-2018, 12:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

sounds like this was sorted out...
Xpress and jlfx car audio like this.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post

with all due respect, if you were buying 3 motors hoping to get one through inspection. You were part of a very small percentage of racers. Same for those that travel to big events. And great to read itís working at 4 tracks across the States. Thatís what about 100-150 people, givec or take regular turnout.

I havenít got the impression that those that are skeptical are ďhating on handoutsĒ. Just skeptical that this concept is going to instantly take over and replace the current methods. Iím all for finding a easier way to keep cost down. Though most of the guys Iíve met in my almost 2 years of racing donít spend crazy. Run the same motor. And donít travel. Few race at different tracks in the Chicagoland area. But not traveling out of state or across the country.

I think a lot of us need to see more. 4 tracks is great. Iíd think youíd see a more positive response if that number was 20,30 or up. Even if it was just a single ďhandout challenge classĒ.

Just my opioion as one of the newer racers here. And Iím still hesitant to call myself a ďracerĒ till I run at a track outside the local group.
either way, it is not right that people have paid $100+ For a motor to use at a ROAR event, untouched, and told it does not pass tech. Effectively a $100 paper weight for the weekend at that point.

The folks posting in here lately have not given me the impression of being haters. Just simply addressing a ďconcernĒ before the haters start chiming in.

There are more than the 4 tracks I have listed doing handout motors, I just donít know enough details about them to list them here, so I didnít. Sure it would be great if 20-30 tracks did this, thatís what Can-am is trying to achieve.
Johnny Carey likes this.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
Well if you continue to use a motor you paid for over 1.5yrs ago at a big race lets assume your cutting yourself short on your finishing order.
No one set of rules will make everyone happy ... Theirs actually less resistance to go to handout than stay open so thats whats happening ... Folks need to be complaining to the manufactures that have been cheating there way into sales not the move to remove them (can am) . besides a handout motor is only 30-60 to own based on motor and track ... If racing against Porsche cars with your jetta is what you want to do just run mod ... You will lose for the same reason but can run what you currently have .
Btw how can you be faster than most with a 90%epa on a 21.5 and win ? Sounds like you might have a illegal motor already,no decent strait , or in the wrong class . why even run your car at 90% ... Your not even racing if your only pushing 90% . but thats for another topic
There are too many variables with the current handout system that benefit only a small group of manufacturers even more than open 17.5t blinky of old. $30 to $60 per weekend event per track, and then throw the motor away is alot more expensive than one currently legal roar $100 17.5t that can last forever with care...The motor of the week has become the handout of the event...Unless you never go to events, you will be spending alot more for unusable stuff after the event. I can already see handout esc's coming in the future, further separating the core rc racer group, and killing the participation...
The best and longest lasting possible handout system is the proposed esc/motor spec combos from several manufacturers(all over the US for all spec racing events under Roar) with spec gearing !!!

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 07-26-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:45 PM
ASM
Tech Master

One solution led by Dave Vera for FSEARA - a 38yr old series to crown state champions. This is a very viable option for any club or series. Simple and cheap. FSEARA on FB has additional information as well.

Of course, this assumes one can afford an extra $5 for state level race.

FSEARA On Roads New Handout Stock Touring car class.
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ASM View Post
One solution led by Dave Vera for FSEARA - a 38yr old series to crown state champions. This is a very viable option for any club or series. Simple and cheap. FSEARA on FB has additional information as well.

Of course, this assumes one can afford an extra $5 for state level race.

FSEARA On Roads New Handout Stock Touring car class.
whats really impressive is that multiple tracks worked together.
ASM and jlfx car audio like this.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
There are too many variables with the current handout system that benefit only a small group of manufacturers even more than open 17.5t blinky of old. $30 to $60 per weekend event per track, and then throw the motor away is alot more expensive than one currently legal roar $100 17.5t that can last forever with care...The motor of the week has become the handout of the event...Unless you never go to events, you will be spending alot more for unusable stuff after the event. I can already see handout esc's coming in the future, further separating the core rc racer group, and killing the participation...
The best and longest lasting possible handout system is the proposed esc/motor spec combos with spec gearing !!!
I'm going to venture to say that at smaller races there will be a rental option for the handout classes ... We are using a handout motor for our can am class andnif a new guy was to pop in it would only cost $5-10 for the day rental . the locked gearing thing is for this very reason , it keeps motor temps low enough to keep that out of the equasion allowing FL to be set on any given lap (depending on car setup) battery and esc will be NO more important that it has ever been in the last year's ... Also I'm sure there will be track owners looking to buy these handout motors after events to bring them home and use them as there handout so that will be a thing as well ... Not to mention these motors should be competative in open class races (on the club level ) cause they will not be damaged by racing it as can am intends they will be even better to use than a old 5yr old motor since they dont get hot and fatigue the wire/rotor inside like all past racing does

Old 07-26-2018, 01:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
TRINITY
its far more companies than just Trinity so I'd add all the names of each company that has had motors to be found illegal. And th as ts ALL OF THEM BESIDES MOTIV
jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:42 PM
ASM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post

whats really impressive is that multiple tracks worked together.
Billy, all of the tracks are on the FSEARA schedule and the series dictates the rules for the event when it comes to town. Everyone involved and all the tracks are very good at working together....and they've been doing it for a very long time. This series has pioneered many ideas the other racing series and big events have followed.

Races 1 - 4 are on asphalt at various tracks throughout the state and use a spec tire (still TBA). This crowns the asphalt champs in the various classes.
Races 5 - 8 are on carpet at various tracks throughout the state and use a spec tire (Jaco blue). This crowns the carpet champs in the various classes.
There will also be an "over all champion" crowned for each class using total for all 8 races.

Also, not sure if you read all the posts, but a couple of individuals have stepped up and agreed to pay everyone's rental fee for this new class at the first asphalt and also the first carpet race. What a great way to kick off the new class! There has always been some VERY dedicated individuals behind the leadership of this series and hence the reason that it is the longest, continuous road racing series in U.S. You should try and make it out to an event if you can. Lots of fun and great racing for sure....and not a bad place for a vacation either!
jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know I said I was done with this, but it seems like Im not the only one that thinks this is the right direction.... a few key things to look at

1. what to do with the 100's...1000's or 17.5 motors already being used across the country that are legal in every way?

2. why not ban cheater motors from events?....the track owner or promoter can do so with no issue.?

3. who will benefit from this?...obvious it always comes down to money.

4. if you make the switch to handout, you will increase the the battery esc and chassis needs 10x's fold.

5. the chance that racers created the "issue" and still the classes that claims needs handout motors, are the largest classes at any given event. Why?

6. and finally, nobody said you needed to buy a new motor every time a company drops a new one....thats your fault. The racers want the best, and some can and some cant. Thats just life and economics. Some of you have $800 chassis that you upgrade every year?....som of you have servos that cost $200?...some of you are able to travel to Vegas and drop $200 per entry, every year, and so on.

remind me again why we need handout motors?
Old 07-26-2018, 01:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ASM View Post
Billy, all of the tracks are on the FSEARA schedule and the series dictates the rules for the event when it comes to town. Everyone involved and all the tracks are very good at working together....and they've been doing it for a very long time. This series has pioneered many ideas the other racing series and big events have followed.

Races 1 - 4 are on asphalt at various tracks throughout the state and use a spec tire (still TBA). This crowns the asphalt champs in the various classes.
Races 5 - 8 are on carpet at various tracks throughout the state and use a spec tire (Jaco blue). This crowns the carpet champs in the various classes.
There will also be an "over all champion" crowned for each class using total for all 8 races.

Also, not sure if you read all the posts, but a couple of individuals have stepped up and agreed to pay everyone's rental fee for this new class at the first asphalt and also the first carpet race. What a great way to kick off the new class! There has always been some VERY dedicated individuals behind the leadership of this series and hence the reason that it is the longest, continuous road racing series in U.S. You should try and make it out to an event if you can. Lots of fun and great racing for sure....and not a bad place for a vacation either!
Iíve read the posts. Florida long way from Chicagoland. Itís just very different from what seems to be normal. We ended up with 3 groups all running on Saturdays. And some with identical schedules so those that want to run different places have to choose.
While at times I forgot that most have lives ď outside of RC ď. And scheduling weekends months ahead canít be a simple thing. Itís impressive to see that it can be done. And tracks donít have to deny the existence of others.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Handout motors are needed so a few can go around the already established roar rules, and make as much money as possible from the vulnerable racers... It's deja vu all over again !!! We need a DOJ investigation on this ASAP !!! ....Cheers....
davidl, DARKSIDE and scirocco14 like this.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Myron, #3 is right on the nose, #6 is a close second. And how is any of this easier than #2?

edit: to understand how this is better than #2, please reference #3
DARKSIDE and scirocco14 like this.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:07 PM
ASM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
I know I said I was done with this, but it seems like Im not the only one that thinks this is the right direction.... a few key things to look at

1. what to do with the 100's...1000's or 17.5 motors already being used across the country that are legal in every way?

2. why not ban cheater motors from events?....the track owner or promoter can do so with no issue.?

3. who will benefit from this?...obvious it always comes down to money.

4. if you make the switch to handout, you will increase the the battery esc and chassis needs 10x's fold.

5. the chance that racers created the "issue" and still the classes that claims needs handout motors, are the largest classes at any given event. Why?

6. and finally, nobody said you needed to buy a new motor every time a company drops a new one....thats your fault. The racers want the best, and some can and some cant. Thats just life and economics. Some of you have $800 chassis that you upgrade every year?....som of you have servos that cost $200?...some of you are able to travel to Vegas and drop $200 per entry, every year, and so on.

remind me again why we need handout motors?
The approach of our series was to offer it as an option for 1 class only. We will use a 17.5 with locked timing and spec'd gearing to replace the former 215TC class. At the same time, we will maintain a 17.5 "Super Stock" class which will continue as it was under ROAR rules. So that a racer's 21.5 current isn't deemed useless, the series will also run USGT for those wanting to enter. Outside of the series, your normal 21.5 can still be used at every club race throughout the state. As far as I know, we'll only see handouts at state level events. It's my belief that this is pretty good start at exploring the idea. Do I believe I'd like it a club level - probably not. And I've held that view since the start. I know others are thinking differently, but like any business, DEMAND will drive the success, no matter how bad someone wants to sell the idea or product.

As far as batteries and high dollar chassis needs, to some degree that's already in play. It's my belief that if you want to run up front in 17.5 (especially) on carpet, you better have 1 of the two top brands which I don't need to name. Asphalt, though close not exactly the same. The racers who have the money will spend it if necessary. Those who don't are probably losing in most cases already to those who have one of those two brands. However, I believe there's a certain segment who believes if they had the same motor they could beat, run with, or run closer to some of the normal front runners. If they learn this is not the case, it'll be up to them to decide what to do next. But in our case, one can spend $5 at each race to test out their theory over the course of a season on both carpet and asphalt. To me, that cost is worth evaluating the motor variable. Again, this is from the perspective in which we're using it - at the state racing level.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Carpet season must be getting close, everyone brain f#cking things that haven't happened yet.. Give it a chance people. It can't end up any worse than a ton of other ideas like 235, front wheel drive, foam wgt, front wheel drive, ect, ect. At least this is only a 50 dollar motor and not a kit
jiml and iTz Nicholas72 like this.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

And with Racermac73's last post, I move this thread be closed, before any more stupid stuff gets posted. All in favor?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.