Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree698Likes

Handout motors

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i agree w/ EA -- the goals are to make a level playing field w/o ESC magic happening. EA and his upcoming race in September - USVTA Souther Nationals at Apex Raceway - have already signed up to support this rule set. Donny is also signed up for the October Mon-Tech NYGP. Who will be the next major series to get onboard? Hopefully our friends in Middle River, Cleveland, St. Louis, Kissimmee, and Denver all jump in!

the document link from FB is https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IX5...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 05-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
There will not be any open speedo classes. Its for SPEC to keep cost low and keep all cars the same speed. Speedo crap just causes more drama and kills the driveability of the cars.
Originally Posted by hanulec
i agree w/ EA -- the goals are to make a level playing field w/o ESC magic happening.
See, I don't agree with that. Yea in the beginning of the brushless era to get the latest SC software you needed to buy a new one. That's not true any more. Today we have SC's you can program with your smart phone! If you go to a race and team X has new software, if you're running the same SC in about 5 minutes you can update yours to the new software. There's no more magic to SC programming than there is to setup. Like I said I think we're missing something curtailing SC development.

However, it would have to be an advanced level class that only the best racers could run. Slow no talent racers like me would stay in blinky.

Everything else I 100% agree with. I think what you guys are doing is great.
miller tyme likes this.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

That class you are refering to already exists at every major event ... Its called modified
Run any motor you want and any esc settings you desire . these guys are normally the faster guys in the sport.
If you want to run a motor thats old/illegal/black sheep or whatever ,go for it . tune those ESC's settings to further develop them .
Love the CAN-AM idea for sure
Old 05-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
See, I don't agree with that. Yea in the beginning of the brushless era to get the latest SC software you needed to buy a new one. That's not true any more. Today we have SC's you can program with your smart phone! If you go to a race and team X has new software, if you're running the same SC in about 5 minutes you can update yours to the new software. There's no more magic to SC programming than there is to setup. Like I said I think we're missing something curtailing SC development.

However, it would have to be an advanced level class that only the best racers could run. Slow no talent racers like me would stay in blinky.

Everything else I 100% agree with. I think what you guys are doing is great.
A lot of people run an ESC like the Justock because it's cheap and performs just as good in blinky. If you open up the speedy wars, a lot of people will need to go out and buy a new one.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
That class you are refering to already exists at every major event ... Its called modified
Run any motor you want and any esc settings you desire . these guys are normally the faster guys in the sport.
If you want to run a motor thats old/illegal/black sheep or whatever ,go for it . tune those ESC's settings to further develop them .
Only in TC, 12th does not have ANY class for open ESC
Old 05-01-2018, 05:40 PM
Tech Lord

No, its called open. Stock and modified went away a long time ago. And its not the faster guys in the sport, its the fastest guys in the sport. There's only a handful of people running at that level. And it's not the major events that drive the hobby, it's weekly club racing. It's the local level where most of the money is spent.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:48 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gigaplex
A lot of people run an ESC like the Justock because it's cheap and performs just as good in blinky. If you open up the speedy wars, a lot of people will need to go out and buy a new one.
Then don't run that class. Stay in the blinky classes. I said one spec motor open speedo class, not all of them. I just think we're missing something without it.

It's just an idea. Maybe something in the future, when more people want to try it.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec

I’m curious to see how this develops.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Interesting....

One thing I think these handout motors will create is a battery war, we'll be all trying to run 8000-10000mah packs before long to minimize voltage drop over a race, even though we only use 1500-2000mah

So $180 battery packs will be in order?

I wonder if I can make this fit my tourer?

https://www.maxamps.com/lipo-22000-2s-7-4v-battery-pack

Also I notice Can-Am is checking kv on a motolyser. Wrong unit for the task (check the motolyser FAQ page)

Last edited by nexxus; 05-01-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nexxus
Interesting....

One thing I think these handout motors will create is a battery war, we'll be all trying to run 8000-10000mah packs before long to minimize voltage drop over a race, even though we only use 1500-2000mah

So $180 battery packs will be in order?

Also I notice Can-Am is checking kv on a motolyser. Wrong unit for the task (check the motolyser FAQ page)
Eh, some people will get into a battery war, some people have been doing it already. The people with money are already having spending wars on all components, it's just not as visible as the performance impact isn't as large.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Eh, some people will get into a battery war, some people have been doing it already. The people with money are already having spending wars on all components, it's just not as visible as the performance impact isn't as large.
I'd disagree, didn't the winner have a 8500mah pack or something?

We cut the cost of racing from a $150 motor to a $120 motor, but now you need a $200 pack not a $80 pack.

2 steps forward 3 steps back
Old 05-01-2018, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Negative . if the correct handout motor is chosen it will not be a battery war cause we will not even use as much mah as we currently do in 17.5 and have basically the same lap times .
Not to mention motors will be way cheaper than you think
jiml likes this.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Negative . if the correct handout motor is chosen it will not be a battery war cause we will not even use as much mah as we currently do in 17.5 and have basically the same lap times .
Not to mention motors will be way cheaper than you think
Incorrect

It's not how much mah you use it's the fact that you get voltage drop over time.

See below this is a 6400mah LCG pack over a 6 minute race (and warm up) max amp draw is from the dead start. Only used 1150mah total but the voltage drop is evident. Higher MAH = less voltage drop = more speed

= BATTERY WAR!

A higher mah pack will have a flatter discharge curve (more horizontal) as it has a higher capacity. I will still use the same mah over the run
Old 05-01-2018, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
No, its called open. Stock and modified went away a long time ago. And its not the faster guys in the sport, its the fastest guys in the sport. There's only a handful of people running at that level. And it's not the major events that drive the hobby, it's weekly club racing. It's the local level where most of the money is spent.
first off . modified if what most tracks call it ... Tho open is fine as well . the faster guys do run mod along with the fastest and some that just refuse to play the motor of the month games ...
Mod/open has started running at our track and even tho only 1/2 are capable to putting a car in the A main at those large events we still enjoy running mod . I've found its more about respecting the power vs using it ... Unlike spec racing . they each have there part and ill continue to support both. But the days are numbered on motor of the month .
Old 05-01-2018, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nexxus
I'd disagree, didn't the winner have a 8500mah pack or something?

We cut the cost of racing from a $150 motor to a $120 motor, but now you need a $200 pack not a $80 pack.

2 steps forward 3 steps back
That doesn't mean the only reason he won was because he had a bigger pack. I've tried borrowing expensive packs and compared against my cheap Turnigy ones and I didn't go any faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.