Like Tree698Likes

Handout motors

Old 04-04-2018, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

One thing you can count on, spec motor racing will ALWAYS have the same problems. These "discussions" have always been the same as long as I can remember. The technology has changed but in 40 years the complaints haven't .
Old 04-04-2018, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Not certain how it could have been prevented. Asian business practices seem to disregard filling contracts with the product that is actually specified. Instead they do as they please to try to make up profits on low bid contracts. In the end(no pun intended) our American resellers(read manufacturer) take it up the "poop chute" from the racers and the sanctioning body. We piss and moan about motor costs. Can you imagine what they would be if the whole process was done in the U.S.? That little included spec sheet would be the size of the Chicago telephone directory.
Antimullet and massenb203 like this.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
... Hell I've heard from multiple sources that manufactures who make for more than 1 have asked another customer "were doing it for them do you want it?"
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
Not certain how it could have been prevented. Asian business practices seem to disregard filling contracts with the product that is actually specified. Instead they do as they please to try to make up profits on low bid contracts. In the end(no pun intended) our American resellers(read manufacturer) take it up the "poop chute" from the racers and the sanctioning body. We piss and moan about motor costs. Can you imagine what they would be if the whole process was done in the U.S.? That little included spec sheet would be the size of the Chicago telephone directory.
you must have missed this, this is intentional, and when it comes to oversize wire, that cost more, copper is not cheap. Those asian business practices are not giving away more than asked for
Old 04-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Technically, no. But if you're looking for a handout motor you might as well start with ROAR legal.
Why? When choosing 1 motor from 1 brand it is only important that all are the same. They even do not have to be a 540 size or need to have a 12~12.5mm rotor. With something stock it is even better that the motor is not something normal so people can not try to mount other rotors, sensors etc.

well indirectly YES
1st it's not "trouble passing tech" because their stuff as originally submitted would easily pass, in most cases it's basically a completely different motor in the same can
Is it ROAR its fault that manufacturers are changing their products?
As mentioned the manufacturers and drivers are searching the limits of and the holes in the rules and there are those who think they can get away with it to go beyond them.

I do not know how it is with your ROAR but our EFRA has a technical commission with most manufacturers. From what I have seen is that manufacturers can play with the EFRA guys when they are not that technical on their own, I have seen the most stupid sugestions to lower the noise with gas racing.

And yet again, for an handout motor no ruling is needed but only the wish of low tolerances between motors produced now and in the future.
jlfx car audio and 30Tooth like this.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
hope antimullet reads this /\ /\ /\
all this could have been prevented unfortunately ... after the d3.5 crap roar should have added a rule about revoking approval if more than 1 of a given motor wind was found to be out of spec based on initial approvals . to keep any lawsuits from happening when it happened again as it has......
the d3.5 was pushing the rules within a grey area ......kind of
this time is just complete disreguard for the rules .... cause " its hard to tell in tech lines with just a set of calipers and a meter.
Circumstantial evidence is not valid in the court of the Internet. Especially when someone like me enjoys trolling you guys caught up in this spec motor 17.5 "slow boring puke in my mouth a little at when I race, but I have to or no racing cause everyone is too much of a mangina to race mod" crap...
Old 04-04-2018, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Antimullet View Post
Circumstantial evidence is not valid in the court of the Internet. Especially when someone like me enjoys trolling you guys caught up in this spec motor 17.5 "slow boring puke in my mouth a little at when I race, but I have to or no racing cause everyone is too much of a mangina to race mod" crap...
I only participate on these threads to see what you'll say next.. Keep hoping politics will surface just for entertainment. In the future you should sign up at all races as antimullet rather than Aaron since your the only one that also says all of this face to face lol
Old 04-04-2018, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Hell hath no fury like a melting snowflake...
jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

you must have missed this, this is intentional, and when it comes to oversize wire, that cost more, copper is not cheap. Those asian business practices are not giving away more than asked for
I didn't miss it. You are right, They won't give more than needed but they sure as hell will go to something they probably bought for pennies on the dollar from somebody that back doored it from somewhere else and then snip a 1/16th of an inch off each winding until they have enough to build a free(to them) motor that can be counted against the contract. I don't feel that the whole blame for what has happened should fall on our so called motor builders(more like tuners actually). They spec a product in good faith. The blame falls on them for either ignoring or just plain being nave about what is happening. Just remember the old melamine in the milk trick from a few years ago. I believe the word that best applies would be "unscrupulous."
Antimullet likes this.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Hand out

Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
I didn't miss it. You are right, They won't give more than needed but they sure as hell will go to something they probably bought for pennies on the dollar from somebody that back doored it from somewhere else and then snip a 1/16th of an inch off each winding until they have enough to build a free(to them) motor that can be counted against the contract. I don't feel that the whole blame for what has happened should fall on our so called motor builders(more like tuners actually). They spec a product in good faith. The blame falls on them for either ignoring or just plain being nave about what is happening. Just remember the old melamine in the milk trick from a few years ago. I believe the word that best applies would be "unscrupulous."
Only thing I have understood is if you are going to race stock 17.5 is buy a trinty they are allways the fastest legal or not that is the motor to beat in my local club racing so if you cant beat em join em.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duck999s View Post
Only thing I have understood is if you are going to race stock 17.5 is buy a trinty they are allways the fastest legal or not that is the motor to beat in my local club racing so if you cant beat em join em.
If your track doesn't go by ROAR motor rules or you like expensive paperweights, that is exactly what I would do. I remember when my D3.5 became a paperweight.
jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

if ROAR legal carried any weight, there would not be a need for this thread
I thought you said almost 400 post previous that you were not going to post anything. Why this?
Old 04-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KE4PJO View Post
One thing you can count on, spec motor racing will ALWAYS have the same problems. These "discussions" have always been the same as long as I can remember. The technology has changed but in 40 years the complaints haven't .
And that's why we now have handout motors.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Why? When choosing 1 motor from 1 brand it is only important that all are the same. They even do not have to be a 540 size or need to have a 12~12.5mm rotor. With something stock it is even better that the motor is not something normal so people can not try to mount other rotors, sensors etc.
Because most tracks and clubs do not have your extensive knowledge of motors or electrics. If they're starting from scratch, ROAR at least gives them a starting point.
davidl likes this.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Oh, I'm enjoying all of the disinformation everyone is posting about the D3.5 situation. I love the way some of you are lawyers suddenly. It would take far too long to explain what really happened, and many wouldn't believe it anyway. Remember this, the bottom line was Trinity sued RC racing.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by davidl View Post
I thought you said almost 400 post previous that you were not going to post anything. Why this?
Because when you try to get out, they suck you back in!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.