Like Tree698Likes

Handout motors

Old 04-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

There was a shipment of 17.5 came thru a local shop today and ALL were below ROAR's minimum ir.... And these are std motors !
Old 04-03-2018, 05:11 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
easier said which ones were not. I know of only 1 manufacturer who choose not to even submit a motor so that they would not have to go to the extremes.
Basically, many motors (from several manufacturers) are coming from the same factory in China, this factory in China is now producing motors that don't meet the previous specs from when the motors were submitted for approval and/or within roar guidelines? Do I have that about right?
Antimullet likes this.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ike View Post
Basically, many motors (from several manufacturers) are coming from the same factory in China, this factory in China is now producing motors that don't meet the previous specs from when the motors were submitted for approval and/or within roar guidelines? Do I have that about right?
Different factories. I'm pretty sure at least 2 of the culprits utilize different manufactures. And copper is expensive, when the cheap Chinese try to pull a fast one it's not with more/bigger wire. And there are small other things that do not seems right from a "manufacturing tolerance" perspective.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

And thus the reason for handout motors.. Or a 1 year ban from roar on approvals from repeat offenders, either is fine
Old 04-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
There was a shipment of 17.5 came thru a local shop today and ALL were below ROAR's minimum ir.... And these are std motors !

Were the motor motors that didn't pass spec at the big races limited to 17.5's, or was it more widespread?
Old 04-04-2018, 01:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ike View Post
Were the motor motors that didn't pass spec at the big races limited to 17.5's, or was it more widespread?
I saw 25.5, 21.5 and 17.5's not pass. Heck, watched a guy bring up 5 motors and not 1 passed.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:41 AM
Tech Champion

Does an handout motor need to be ROAR legal? The main thing of an handout motor is that they all have to have a same performance, all from the same brand/model. At that point the ROAR rules does not matter.
1fastdude likes this.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Nah I’d say a spec motor is set by the race director or designated motor tech, raffled at the start of the race and returned at the end of the day. Regardless of roar legal. We don’t run roar legal 17.5 in our spec class (Motive MCR) and racing is really good and close.

Or run mod and end the drama.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Does an handout motor need to be ROAR legal? The main thing of an handout motor is that they all have to have a same performance, all from the same brand/model. At that point the ROAR rules does not matter.
Technically, no. But if you're looking for a handout motor you might as well start with ROAR legal.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Technically, no. But if you're looking for a handout motor you might as well start with ROAR legal.
if ROAR legal carried any weight, there would not be a need for this thread
Old 04-04-2018, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

For 17.5 "spec" I'm fine with using the cheaper 13.5's so we have current 17.5 performance while still having handouts that are much cheaper. I'm not in favor of 17.5 handouts that perform like a 21.5 or 25.5's
miller tyme and Antimullet like this.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The truth has been spoken.
jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
The truth has been spoken.
Really. So it's ROAR's fault motor makers are having trouble passing tech? It's ROAR's fault the motor makers are constantly trying to make the "World's Fastest Stock Motor" regardless of what the rules are?

Maybe if racers didn't mercilessly bash ROAR for the last 20 years, we wouldn't need 50 thousand threads about motors, batteries, tires, or anything else where people are trying to cheat the system just so they can say they won a toy car race.
davidl and EricF like this.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Really. So it's ROAR's fault motor makers are having trouble passing tech? It's ROAR's fault the motor makers are constantly trying to make the "World's Fastest Stock Motor" regardless of what the rules are?

Maybe if racers didn't mercilessly bash ROAR for the last 20 years, we wouldn't need 50 thousand threads about motors, batteries, tires, or anything else where people are trying to cheat the system just so they can say they won a toy car race.
well indirectly YES
1st it's not "trouble passing tech" because their stuff as originally submitted would easily pass, in most cases it's basically a completely different motor in the same can

they refused to listen to many people in the know when the 1st rules were drafted and we ended up in the Duo 3.5 fiasco
they did not listen again when the rules were rewritten
they do not have (as far as I know) a re-submission/verification REQUIREMENT for existing approved motors (hell they do for bodies !!), so now they find themselves, again, in a situation where they should ban something they previously approved.

AND the manufactures are to blame as well
they know damn well they requested oversize wire, or changes to the stator stamping. Hell I've heard from multiple sources that manufactures who make for more than 1 have asked another customer "were doing it for them do you want it?"

And yes the racers are to blame too. Everyone wants a level playing field but many refuse to support / maintain membership in the one governing body that maintains the rules. This leads to low funds for things like testing and litigation.
jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

hope antimullet reads this /\ /\ /\
all this could have been prevented unfortunately ... after the d3.5 crap roar should have added a rule about revoking approval if more than 1 of a given motor wind was found to be out of spec based on initial approvals . to keep any lawsuits from happening when it happened again as it has......
the d3.5 was pushing the rules within a grey area ......kind of
this time is just complete disreguard for the rules .... cause " its hard to tell in tech lines with just a set of calipers and a meter.
miller tyme and 30Tooth like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.