Like Tree698Likes

Handout motors

Old 03-28-2018, 03:57 AM
Tech Elite

How many people on here that are anti-handout motor have actually run handout motors in the past 2 years?

I know of 1 person in particular on here, and I know his experience was bad because some of the motors were nowhere close to even. I don't know who exactly takes the blame for that particular event, I wasn't there. Only heard stories after the fact from friends that were there, and that the issue was only discovered once the event was over.

I haven't heard any complaints from people that tried it at Halloween Classic, US Indoor Champs, or Stock Wars. Also, 360V2 is thriving with handout motors for weekly club racing. Jackson RC in NJ and both of our tracks in MD (180 Raceway and John's Mobile Raceway) made stock racing super simple over the past year. The template is out there. It isn't hard.

I see so many people on here posting their fears over handout/spec motors when I don't see them posting their experiences except when it's from 10+ years ago. Brushless is not Brushed.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Handout

I’m not opposed to handouts. We do a spec motor at my local track. But going forward I am moving to mod because those illegal ROAR approved motors are out there in cars, on shelves at tracks I go to. This recent event and ghost cheater blinky software has ruined stock racing for me. Miller said it best. “Like taking a squirt gun to a real gun fight “
SocalSnakeEyes and DARKSIDE like this.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Carey View Post
Vta used to be alright, but when It’s a beginner class that has sponsored drivers and $600 chassis involved. Not a fan.
who told you VTA was a beginner class?
SocalSnakeEyes and NutDriver like this.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
How many people on here that are anti-handout motor have actually run handout motors in the past 2 years?

I know of 1 person in particular on here, and I know his experience was bad because some of the motors were nowhere close to even. I don't know who exactly takes the blame for that particular event, I wasn't there. Only heard stories after the fact from friends that were there, and that the issue was only discovered once the event was over.

I haven't heard any complaints from people that tried it at Halloween Classic, US Indoor Champs, or Stock Wars. Also, 360V2 is thriving with handout motors for weekly club racing. Jackson RC in NJ and both of our tracks in MD (180 Raceway and John's Mobile Raceway) made stock racing super simple over the past year. The template is out there. It isn't hard.

I see so many people on here posting their fears over handout/spec motors when I don't see them posting their experiences except when it's from 10+ years ago. Brushless is not Brushed.
Halloween classic was my favorite race by far this year. Handout motors were great. I’ve heard nothing but good things about 360v2 and stock wars.
hanulec, Antimullet and Racermac73 like this.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
who told you VTA was a beginner class?
No one did. I used my noggin
Old 03-28-2018, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Carey View Post
No one did. I used my noggin
if more people did that we would not need this thread
RBLove, Tempest2000 and DARKSIDE like this.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
yuck...you brought him up...you know Im black right?
Wow, just when I thought this thread had already gone full retard you come up with that gem. Nice work!!!
DARKSIDE likes this.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post

Robbie is 100% correct. Several of us from HoBMax in Durham, NC attended his Stockwars event and we liked the format so much that we came home and convinced our club to copy the very same handout motor format for our series races. Ever since, our racing has been closer and more fun than ever before and our participation (that was previously stagnant) has been steadily growing. Running spec motors has worked out great for our club.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I wouldn’t mind handouts if they did it like this:

1. Set all equally regarding power.
2. Draw a motor each race day in a raffle format.
3. Return motor each race day.

Additionally may consider limiting FDR to a specific window.

I know some clubs do this and it seems to work well.

I race at Ho B Max with Perry and am getting my butt kicked again with everyone running the same motor so it must work. Lol.

I still would rather see a 10.5 or at least 13.5 handout locked timing motor rather than an adjustable timing 17.5 spec though. Just to retain the man card.

I mean it’s boring after a while to just turn the wheel. The trigger is there for a reason and if it’s always on that takes away from driver talent imo.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Antimullet View Post
I wouldn’t mind handouts if they did it like this:

1. Set all equally regarding power.
2. Draw a motor each race day in a raffle format.
3. Return motor each race day.

Additionally may consider limiting FDR to a specific window.

I know some clubs do this and it seems to work well.

I race at Ho B Max with Perry and am getting my butt kicked again with everyone running the same motor so it must work. Lol.

I still would rather see a 10.5 or at least 13.5 handout locked timing motor rather than an adjustable timing 17.5 spec though. Just to retain the man card.

I mean it’s boring after a while to just turn the wheel. The trigger is there for a reason and if it’s always on that takes away from driver talent imo.
Thumbs up!
Old 03-28-2018, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
Several of us from HoBMax in Durham, NC attended his Stockwars event and we liked the format so much that we came home and convinced our club to copy the very same handout motor format for our series races.
Can you describe this format in more detail? Our club is interested in something like this too.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by VanBee View Post
Can you describe this format in more detail? Our club is interested in something like this too.

Thanks!
We all run the same excellent 17.5 Motiv motor ..... the very same unit that was used as handouts at 180’s StockWars event. But, to make things simple and mostly to avoid the need for frequent tech inspections, we do allow endbell timing adjustments. The main thing is that everybody runs the same motor ..... which completely eliminates the whole excessively costly “fast motor of the week/month” phenomenon. Like Aaron has said, the same guys are still fastest ....which probably won’t ever change much. But the speed differentials are way closer than before, guys seem to be enjoying the resultant more competitive racing, and the main thing is that nobody has to worry about getting “out motored”. IMO It really wouldn’t matter much which motor a given club settled upon, just so long as everybody runs the same one. Thankfully Paul Lemieux at Motiv hooked us up with a great deal on a batch of his non-Roar legal 17.5s. They work perfect for our application.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Again, what happened to braking classes down by skill as well as car type?

Is a intermediate VTA race a hard concept to grasp? Or Pro Stock Sedan?

Or is that brushless and LiPo taken all the skill out racing so now only the cars can be used to brake things up?

I miss the days where the fast guys were fast because you know they had mechanical tuning skills as well as driving skills.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SocalSnakeEyes View Post
Again, what happened to braking classes down by skill as well as car type?

Is a intermediate VTA race a hard concept to grasp? Or Pro Stock Sedan?

Or is that brushless and LiPo taken all the skill out racing so now only the cars can be used to brake things up?

I miss the days where the fast guys were fast because you know they had mechanical tuning skills as well as driving skills.
If you go to a vta race you will notice after a resort all the pro or better drivers are racing each other in the last few races of vta... So no need to split a vta class into 2 groups . ? Do you not want to see where your abilities rank you vs the all time fastest racers in the class? Or are you just wanting them to be out of your class so you have a better chance of winning ?
Trophies coat money andnthe more deluted the classes are the more cheesy the trophies are . I could care less about them unless they are unique . I just enjoy the race . no proof of partisipation necessary
davidl, miller tyme and dave-man like this.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SocalSnakeEyes View Post
In a way the "brushless and Lipo" has taken a skill out of it, the ability to manage a race has been lost. The need to manage your "fuel" supply has been lost to the ages.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.