Like Tree698Likes

Handout motors

Old 03-22-2018, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If the handout motors cost $40 each, and the track buys them then rents them, it pays them off pretty fast. I doubt they even cost that much depending on the motor. The team powers sealed end bell motors I don’t think do.

At 180, it’s $40 for the season or $15 for the day. So if you’re planning on racing more than 3 times, it’s better to just pay for the season obviously.

Racer didn’t have to spend $150+ on a motor and the track has gotten its money back. I don’t see a downside to it.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racermac73 View Post
The argument that spec motors are to keep newbies or the average racer on a even playing field is nonsense.. The idea that after paying your dues and getting good you've earned the right to spend 200 on a motor is even dumber. Spec motors are for the greater good in spec classes, 360v2 is having club races with more spec 12th scale guys than the roar nats just had in 17.5.
And ever since we decided to go with a spec motor, our participation at HoBMax in Durham NC has steadily grown week by week. Besides the initial goal of simply containing escalating costs, the added side benefit has been that guys do seem to be having more fun....probably because our races have been closer than ever.
Lone Drifter and slackinoff like this.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What is the motor selected as "spec" and how and where have you been applying it? Cost to the competitor?
Old 03-22-2018, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
What is the motor selected as "spec" and how and where have you been applying it? Cost to the competitor?
I don't think it matters what motor it is ... Every track has the option to select what ever motor they can work a deal on that fits the speed wanted and skill required foe that given class ... Some will use 10.5 some will use 21.5 you will need to speak with the track owner and track director and figure out what deals are available and what sites the track
Tracks need to also consider other tracks near them so that those that travel between them are not hurting bad
Old 03-22-2018, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
Pretty sure it's the Motiv MCR 17.5T.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
I don't think it matters what motor it is ... Every track has the option to select what ever motor they can work a deal on that fits the speed wanted and skill required foe that given class ... Some will use 10.5 some will use 21.5 you will need to speak with the track owner and track director and figure out what deals are available and what sites the track
Tracks need to also consider other tracks near them so that those that travel between them are not hurting bad
Which is precisely why I asked what I did. That track is 2 hours from mine and runs on a different day.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Justin,
Mike (MLeemore60) is owner/operator of Kannapolis Raceway Park, a new track north of Charlotte, NC. I think he was asking to see what others are running.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
Justin,
Mike (MLeemore60) is owner/operator of Kannapolis Raceway Park, a new track north of Charlotte, NC. I think he was asking to see what others are running.
Got ya . yea if we had more tracks in our area and shared racers we wouod need to get with them about both tracks using same motor. I know opinions are .... Everywhere on the topic so might be a hard choice to narrow down but considering the few that do travel maybe the tracks can help those guys out if there both choose to run handout motors but are different ...

Last edited by jlfx car audio; 03-22-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ho B Max is only using the handout motor for 12th scale.

Mark C
Old 03-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My track does not use spec motors. It think that is a good idea. From traveling (if you do) from track to track it might be hard figuring out what motor they want you to run and transferring motors. Sure, it is a great way to see the equalized competition, but it's a burden for a beginner coming in to realize the motor they used at one track isn't allowed at another.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Right now we are limiting speed with tires. Our catch all class can run anything, period, but must run on the spec USGT tire. That takes pretty good care of running and gunning. So far our fastest lap is a 25.5 set by a VTA car on the 633 foot road course. Our best oval lap is in the mid 6's for our open comp late models on drift tires. That lap is 180 feet. We don't allow tire prep at the track. Zero, nil, zip. We are running on a sealed tennis court and don't want to risk pulling the sealer up. Racing has been pretty even.

Thanks Mark, I wasn't aware what they have been doing until I saw the post about it. Thanks Scott for the call out.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

We are moving to locked timing motors in our pan car classes for next year. Currently running open ROAR-approved 17.5 with stripe tires in 1/12th scale and open ROAR-approved 13.5 with stripe tires in WGT. Both classes will run the Reedy Sonic 13.5 FT motors for next year in an effort to slow down WGT a tick and hopefully keep 1/12th scale at the same pace. We are betting the locked timing 13.5 is on the same level as a current top-performing 17.5.
Everyone buys their own motor for ~$50 at our shop/track. The motors will be pre-inspected and have tamper proof measures installed. I believe this is going to work well for us. Wish we could have gone with the lighter TSR locked timing motors, but they don't currently offer a 13.5 and the buy-in requirement is too steep for a club our size.
jetnjme likes this.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

so if a club goes with a said handout motor...say Reedy lock 17.5 for a class... what happens when they travel to an event or club that uses a different lock time motor like the Trinity or HW or still running ROAR 17.5's.

What will the racer do?...buy that motor for that race, then keep it as a trophy when he returns home?....cause it will not be legal with the Reedy's.

Or what if your home track does the lock time motor thing....and all the events you are preparing for dont use this method. And if they are in the same boat as me, my club racing is my practice days. So Im running a much slower motor to prepare for a much faster motor at the traveled event.
brad996 likes this.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As a person who is recently returned to the hobby, I don't see what all the gnashing of teeth is over motors. In every class at my club you can buy a motor off the shelf that with a basic amount of tuning is _very_ close to what the really fast guys run, and the fastest guys still win every week.

I guarantee 100% that if I gave our fastest GT guy my car, he's still be our fastest GT guy. If I built a 17.5 TC car, with setup help from here and nice guys at the track, I could build a car without excessive motor shenanigans that the fastest 3 17.5 TC guys would still be on the podium with.

Hell, I pit right next to a guy who is at the track about once every other week, and at the last minute he decided to race GT in the ROAR NATs last week (that was at our home track). He didn't even have a GT car set up. He grabbed his 2nd TC chassis, went through it, and borrowed my off-the-shelf, never touched TSR 21.5 motor, and oh, pardon me, put it in the A Main. We both had to ask for help when it came to tech because neither of us had ever disassembled a brushless motor before.

Is this really that much of an issue?
brad996, NutDriver and slackinoff like this.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
so if a club goes with a said handout motor...say Reedy lock 17.5 for a class... what happens when they travel to an event or club that uses a different lock time motor like the Trinity or HW or still running ROAR 17.5's.

What will the racer do?...buy that motor for that race, then keep it as a trophy when he returns home?....cause it will not be legal with the Reedy's.

Or what if your home track does the lock time motor thing....and all the events you are preparing for dont use this method. And if they are in the same boat as me, my club racing is my practice days. So Im running a much slower motor to prepare for a much faster motor at the traveled event.
Our club has purchased extra “loaner” motors for the few times people come from out of the area to race with us. It’s not too common but we have provisions for this rare occurance. Btw, ours is a spec 25.5 class, not a “stock” spec class. So it’s not meant to fragment the ROAR “open” motor stock classes like 17.5,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.