Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
PROTOform F26 Responds to Popular Demand >

PROTOform F26 Responds to Popular Demand

Like Tree63Likes

PROTOform F26 Responds to Popular Demand

Old 03-08-2018, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Impressed with the Epp’s work. More bodies were coming to the market with the nose carved out concave to create more front downforce (opposite the big cars). In finding the FW26 they’ve got the perfect excuse to maximize that nose channel under the guise of replicating a real chassis. They’re using the limitations of lexan molding to their advantage. A real heady design choice.
G-rem likes this.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:59 AM
Tech Addict

It should be banned from racing. That is how ugly that protoform body is.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CBear3 View Post
Impressed with the Epp’s work. More bodies were coming to the market with the nose carved out concave to create more front downforce (opposite the big cars). In finding the FW26 they’ve got the perfect excuse to maximize that nose channel under the guise of replicating a real chassis. They’re using the limitations of lexan molding to their advantage. A real heady design choice.
Sometimes I forget there’s another side to the hobby besides scale looks, that detail and scale take s back seat to performance. And I also have to remind myself that our F1 cars don’t always follow the same rules and logic as the full size cars. If this body has benefits like added steering and more cooling, it might be worth a try. I might have a spare Tamiya Williams BMW decal sheet lying around...
alecladanga likes this.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CBear3 View Post
..... More bodies were coming to the market with the nose carved out concave to create more front downforce (opposite the big cars). In finding the FW26 they’ve got the perfect excuse to maximize that nose channel under the guise of replicating a real chassis. They’re using the limitations of lexan molding to their advantage. A real heady design choice.
CBear3;

So nice to know that I had a chance to live rent-free in your head for a little while - LOL. You nailed that explanation perfectly.

Our first three F1 designs were aimed mostly at realism and style. Like every other class in rc racing, it starts off as an "enthusiast" driven class. Inevitably the "speed at all cost" guys show up with one objective - to TQ and WIN regardless.
The body development for the "cool new class" suddenly become a source of controversy as they evolve - mainly because bodies have a huge influence on speed and handling. (look what's happening right now in the USGT / GT10 class)

So far we at PROTOform have catered to the F1 "fan and enthusiast", and now the F26 is our way of reaching out to the guys that are all about speed and winning. If we had brought out this body as our first F1 body, PROTOform would be accused of bastardizing a great class for our personal gain.

Incidentally, have you seen some of the weirdly concocted F1 bodies that are used in the ETS series? They represent "nothing" from any era of F1 racing - yet they are approved for racing.

Thanks for listening.

Dale Epp - PROTOform
Old 03-09-2018, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Funny, this is a love it or hate it body for sure. I think it's fantastic.
simple and gigaplex like this.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've always had a kink for designs that veer way off the grid, progress has never been made by looking over someone else's shoulder...
Old 03-09-2018, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease View Post
Funny, this is a love it or hate it body for sure. I think it's fantastic.
Agreed. I think I fall into the hate it camp (aesthetically), but I can recognise the effort that went into it.
bennytheblade likes this.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

I particularly like the over the spur design... This greatly improves the appearance of the rear IMHO - I hate seeing a giant spur gear sticking out on my F1.
vivo quevas likes this.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:39 PM
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Dale and I have certainly had a difference of opinion previously, but in this case, I don't even run F1 and even I really like what PF has brought to the racers. You know, I watch this class run over and over and over, both on asphalt and carpet, mostly from a turn marshal perspective and at times I'm waiting for you guys to finish up your heat so I can get on the stand. The one thing that is glaringly obvious, 90% of you haven't quite figured out how to get the push out of your car. Those that have are consistently faster and usually find themselves on the podium. None of that is a bash by no means, it's just a realistic observation. Other than the cool factor, the first thing I noticed with this class is the cars just struggle to turn and rotate. Yes, I know it's much more than the body causing the issue but maybe it will help to a degree. And any help is better than nothing, right? It doesn't really matter how the car looked or performed in real life because it's not going to apply to R/C racing.

I'm not sure bashing with negative comments produces anything constructive. BTW, the sales of the body will provide PF with all the opinion numbers they need.

To me, it looks like PF may have produced a body that can functionally be a possible tuning aid. If for no other reason, that in itself should be welcomed because from my uneducated position I see pushing problems, diff problems, and a lot of traction rolling unless you have the exact right tire on the car just to name a few......and despite all that, this body almost wants to make me give the class a try.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've been in this class every time it has been introduced. Criticizing the body that you have NOT even run yet is foolish. You don't like it buy any other brand or one of PF other bodies. Dale keep up the good work- a PF body racers for years. As soon as I order my new car it will have this body mounted to it!
vivo quevas likes this.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good work again Mr. Epp! I'm digging the Haas like paint job.

To the crowd worried that the nose generates more downforce than other current and past bodyshells rest assured it doesn't. Please stop spreading false accusations this bodyshell isn't akin to cheating.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm wondering when ANYONE is going to provide enough room at the back of these new bodies to accommodate the NEW style of F-1 chassis?? Their WIDE and fairly TALL in front of the motor. Yet most of the bodies swoop DOWN and get narrow back there--necessitating cutting most of the body away at the back for side link and side dampening rod clearance??
Old 03-10-2018, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim Neja View Post
I'm wondering when ANYONE is going to provide enough room at the back of these new bodies to accommodate the NEW style of F-1 chassis?? Their WIDE and fairly TALL in front of the motor. Yet most of the bodies swoop DOWN and get narrow back there--necessitating cutting most of the body away at the back for side link and side dampening rod clearance??
This is quoted from PF about the F26

"The area surrounding the rear pod has ample clearance For batteries, side tubes and motor wires, making the F26 incredibly easy to mount."
mackin and Tim Neja like this.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think its great that someone has tried to do a body that adds performance> F1 is all about ingenuity. and its not too far from realistic
Old 03-11-2018, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Have to respect the ingenuity

Take a car that was a failure in its time, and exploit the weird design to create a "handling" shell for RC that is still convincing as a "scale" replica.

No wonder Dale and Protoform have been at the leading edge of racing for so long.
Qatmix likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.