Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Considering getting back into RC - Guidance required. >

Considering getting back into RC - Guidance required.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mleemor60

Considering getting back into RC - Guidance required.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Default Considering getting back into RC - Guidance required.

I've been out of the game for the best part of 10 years. My local club runs 13.5 and 17.5 so I would want to be able to run both of these classes.

Current (outdated) Setup:
Yokomo MR4TC BD (not the 7 or 8 etc, just the BD 2005 I think )
Novak GTB brushless system
KO PROPO PDS 2343 FET Servo (was the one to have in it's day) https://servodatabase.com/servo/ko-propo/pds-2343-fet
KO PROPO Esprit II Type R
KO PROPO KR-301F Receiver (40MHZ)
AMBrc DP Personal Transponder
Integy INDI 16X512 Lipo charger (early Lipo charger) http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=3654#.WpG3NHzLi20

I will be replacing for definite:
Chassis
ESC/Motor

My question is, of the remaining gear, what will be ok to use?

You used to be able to buy a module for the Transmitter to convert to 2.4 ghz, can this still be done? Think is was a Spektrum module.

Will the servo still be ok for competitive use?

Can I still use my personal transponder?

Will this charger work for modern day Lipos?

I'm interested to see what's the "Gear to have" these days in terms of ESC/Motor and battery.

If I can help it, I want to avoid having to buy new radio gear and charger.

Any help appreciated
Old 02-24-2018, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pheyhoe View Post
I've been out of the game for the best part of 10 years. My local club runs 13.5 and 17.5 so I would want to be able to run both of these classes.

KO PROPO PDS 2343 FET Servo (was the one to have in it's day) https://servodatabase.com/servo/ko-propo/pds-2343-fet
Integy INDI 16X512 Lipo charger (early Lipo charger) http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=3654#.WpG3NHzLi20

Chassis
ESC/Motor

You used to be able to buy a module for the Transmitter to convert to 2.4 ghz, can this still be done? Think is was a Spektrum module.

I'm interested to see what's the "Gear to have" these days in terms of ESC/Motor and battery.

Any help appreciated
Even though your radio isn't 2.4 it will still work. Servo will be fine for awhile. Lipo charger will still work.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by faqcya View Post
Even though your radio isn't 2.4 it will still work. Servo will be fine for awhile. Lipo charger will still work.
Interesting about the 40mhz radio, I assumed it would have all gone over to 2.4 by now..
Old 02-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Rarely do you find anyone using 40MHz these days however they will still work fine with today's other electronics. Most people don't use them because of the whip antennas and they are no longer offered by manufacturers.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Not to mention the FCC rules.
ddd228 likes this.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I got back into the hobby after a 6 year break myself, stopped in '06 and started racing again in '12. my advice is this, use your existing radio/receiver/servo- you wont have problems with interference as most are on 2.4. depending on your budget id recommend a hobbywing juststock and I'd find a used 17.5 on the for sale forums. I'd recommend getting a new charger and battery, I personally like the icharger and would recommend the 106b/206b ones best bang for the buck there. smc batteries are very good for the $$. you could probably use your car but lots of good used cars on the for sale forums.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

The biggest issue of using your existing car is parts availability. Since your skills will be rusty I'd recommend holding off on buying many new items until you reaquire your skills.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jump in feet first. See what you need after the first day and go from there. I jumped back after 4 years and am doing the same. The skills come first
Old 02-28-2018, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I jumped back in after over 10 years off. I couldn't believe the improvements. The 2.4 radios are fantastic as you no longer get hit when someone accidentally turns on with your frequency. The batteries are no long an issue and they all seem fine. The motors are bullet proof, no more com truing. I originally dusted off an old TC3 and ran in VTA, it was a blast, but it didn't take long before I bought a used TC6.1 and now 3 years later am sitting on two TC7.1's and a TC7.

I started with a used 17.5 turn motor (Trinity D3 at the time) and a Hobbywing Justock ESC ($50 and best value in RC). I also bought an entry level radio, the Airtronics/Sanwa MX-V. Great little radio. I have since upgraded to a used M11X transmitter, the latest and greatest Hobbywing XR10 Pro Stock ESC. I have also stuck with Futaba Servos (BLS551 and BLS571 with spare S9551's. I have had great luck with SMC batteries and I use an inexpensive HobbyKing Turnigy Reaktor charger that will charge at 20 amps (even though I won't go above 10 amps). Get the dual charger if you plan to run more than one class. And there is really no need to buy spare batteries, I run one battery per car. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pheyhoe View Post

Chassis
ESC/Motor

Any help appreciated
The GTB isnít terrible, but buy a current motor. Transponder should be fine. Donít waste $ on upgrading radio. Doubtful you can any longer anyway. I would run it as is or buy new. Charger will work but you balancing cells is important IMHO. Early LiPo chargers werenít balance capable. Servo is more than adequate.