Wiki Posts
Search

Looking into a Brushless...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Default Looking into a Brushless...

Hello,
I am looking into getting a brushless. Please tell me what you think of them and which one I should look into. Also if you can post pics of your car with on that would be great.
Thanks,
John
Old 01-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

What kind of racing are you planning on doing?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

I'm currently doing the same. I'm wanting it for my 1/12th corally which runs on 4 cells.

To me at present the most powerfull set-up looks to be an lrp sphere with a reedy Neo One 4 star motor(susposedly like a 7t brushed) but i'm also having trouble finding some where with a 4 star instock........

Anyone with some knowledge in running brushless with 4 cell 1/12th cars , please step in here and help me out/ put me straight......

Cheers

Rod
Old 01-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Mamba Maxx is coming soon and with the PHX-link it is easy to setup on your pc using their free software. I have great expiriences with KV8000 for my Xray M18 and it is worth waiting.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Go with the Novak GTB 5.5 if you are going to run mod class. From experence they have enough power to run with the low turn motors most of the time, but in some cases just not enough. They are great for maintance. Near zero. No more turning the comm. Only pull it apart every few months, blow it out, and lube bearings.

The one thing I also found was with the Novak 5800ss, you are better off turning your throttle end point down to adjust the top speed if your are running in stock class. Dont set the ESC to the sportsman mode where it limits it to 24k rpm. Leave it in unlimited mode. The motor would hit so hard coming out of the corners it would break lose annd try to spin out. Problem gone when reprogramed the ESC to unlimited mode.

Last buy the BEST batteries you can get and use Deans. I told my friend to use deans with his 5.5, but chose to use the Tamiya connector. Melted it! Cant wait to try a a Kokam 6400mah Lipo. With that maybe practice and run to heat races and then recharge to finish out the day??? Best of all . No more dischargers, equilizers, single charger. 90% charge in 20 minutes. hmmmm
Old 01-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When it comes to brushless there is somthing to be said about, the car never changing its power output during a race. I drove better because I didn't have to think about the motor or how much power its got. the brushless never changes
25% less energy loss for the same power of a brushed motor sounds good to me. its way nicer on the batteries

stop messsing with motors and batts and drive the car!!

touring car
Old 01-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

hmmm just thinking about 8-12 minute mains
Old 01-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Tech Regular

i would say either a reedy neo1/ sphere or a GTB system (with the velocity motor or something like that)

but if ur going to race for serious amounts of cash and u have some cash get two epic shock motors (or something as good as a epic shock)
one flat wire for short tracks
and the other round for open tracks

or as said be4 wait for the mamba like me
its supposed to be pretty sweet
programable
and a low turn euivealent
Old 01-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

I think i will wait to see whats up with the mamba. I plan on doing som racing but also a lot of pratice. I really don't want to get into motor upkeep...I tend to just go by a new motor...that gets expensive.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Tech Rookie

I got a Novak GTB but I don't know how to set the Electronic Trigger Throw Adujstment on my Futaba 3PK, can anybody pls help?
Old 01-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've owned both the ss5800(original) and the gtb 5.5r

I LOVED my 5800.. tons of torque, lots of fun for bashing around with. And of course, no maintenance ever.

The GTB that i have has been run on a track lately. I've spent enough track time to say that it does NOT match up to a strong mod motor.
I really, don't want to say it because i love my gtb. No maintenance, just run after run. And damn is it smooth. Much much smoother than a brushed motor. It's so easy and linear to contorl that you can drive straight past others guys who are busy buzzing their throttles to get around a corner.

However.. at my local track... it does NOT keep up with the new v2 series of 9t motors. Not even close.

I'd say it's roughly equal to a 12t in good tune.
If you follow the recommended gearing i think you'll find it undergeared for most tracks. We run our tight technical infield UPHILL!! and i run it significantly "overgeared - as per manual) and it still keeps up..

Personally i'm waiting for novak to bring out the rumoured 4.5.. because this system is a gem. Great system that i would recommend to anyone. But do not buy in and expect to keep up with a well tuned 9t mod.

hope that helps..
Old 01-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We ran a GTB/5.5 at the Novak race and I thought it was as fast as any 9 turn and a touch slower than a good 8 turn... but it seemed as fast at the end of the run as the beginning while the brushed motors lost some speed in the last min. It was WAY faster than any 12 turn.
Charly told me the 4.5 should be out next month
Old 01-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ottoman
We ran a GTB/5.5 at the Novak race and I thought it was as fast as any 9 turn and a touch slower than a good 8 turn... but it seemed as fast at the end of the run as the beginning while the brushed motors lost some speed in the last min. It was WAY faster than any 12 turn.
Charly told me the 4.5 should be out next month

Yap,I thought it was about there.I was running an 8 turn with a friend on the GTB 5.5...My 8 turn was a slight faster than the 5.5...Surely thats faster than any 12 turn...

Maybe the 4.5's speed would be in between a 7 and 8 turn.That'll be great...
Was wanting to get a GTB 5.5,but after seeing that it couldn't catch up with an 8 turn,I was a little turn off. Lets see how the 4.5 will fare...
Old 01-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

Any Pics?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

Can I make the GTB as slow as a 24 turn if I want to race in stock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.