R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #91
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default SP12X

I have enjoyed reading just about every post on these three pages, and I have to say, some of the best enthusiasm for a 12th in some time, or shall I dare say, the era of the touring. Now this is my two cents, I think I deserve to blab it, I have been racing a Corally, in some form for about 25 years. the 12x, AMAZING, Corally, you done good. Progressive caster front end with some old school anti roll middle brace. Still "tweekless" centre shock to dampen forward roll, sp12 love to hop down the straights. Not a big fan of the damper tubes, they love ozite fibre bunnys, but I would think you could if you wanted to, swap to the "baloon" damper plates. Simple ridged rear pod, and don't that look like the easiest pod in the whole world to get a motor in and out of.
Everyone, remember this. Corally is always been based on a few simple plans, be simple, light, fast, well built. Don't change to some other rear diff just because of tires, and compounds. Touring cars have got everyone caught up in mass assortment of compounds, I still use to this day, Corally silver & gold tires, and play with the traction juice, if any at all, our track is very sticky. There is not to many CRC's that compete. And, Corally bar none has the SWEETEST diff on the planet, remove wheels without touching the diff, and without a tool, in seconds, If you hurry, I like that one.
Just about the last 5 versions of the 12 line is interchageable, old school front ends, with Ahoniemi rear ends, with shocks, without, hell, Iv'e reconfigured my front end 3 time in the last couple of weeks just to try things. "T" plates, glass, GRP, carbon, chassis can do the same, whatever, they have it, you can get it, Superior Hobbies, Florida, they got it.
Don't worry what the Doesek's and Tossolini's of the world are running, find your own groove, this car lets you do that.
I can't wait to order one, I can't wait to drive one, it will probably please me like all the rest, all the rest I still have, run, and will never sell, because they are the best, AND UNIQUE, all the rest are just copies of Associated 12th's.
Long live the 12th scale, I hope that this thread is a showing on how the RC community is thinking, because the day of the over rated, over hyped, OVER PRICED, touring car must come to an end. It is not good for the sport, nor the hobby. Bring back, where it all began, 12.

Peter $.02
superjet701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:08 PM   #92
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Maybe this will be the car that breathes new life into 1/12th scale? There certainly are a lot of benefits to the class. While I don't share your disdain for touring cars, I can definitely appreciate the simplicity of 1/12th scale racing in comparison, especially during those weeks when I don't have enough time to give the sedan the love it requires between meetings.

If the Corally wheels are as good as people are saying, I won't fret over using them, especially if availability is good.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #93
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Boy
I think Pink rears and silverstar fronts..... I could be wrong though. I just remember seeing something like that on a setup sheet.
hey Korey... usually on my Euro car its silver front, pink or silver rear, depending on bite of carpet.... dont forget the corally specific truer arbor!

i for one like the Corally wheel types... ease of removal, super strong, as the rear wheel is supported at inside and out, instead of just the center.

i guess if some want the standard compounds, you can get just the wheels, and mount whatever donuts you need.

ill catch jeff this week as well... that car is just drop dead sexy lookin'!!!!!

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

just wished Corally would switch the color of the rims from black to white or a another brite color.

When is expected release date.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #95
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I wish Jaco didn't use rims that break if you look at them wrong
subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:25 AM   #96
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
just wished Corally would switch the color of the rims from black to white or a another brite color.

good point, carl... what i did was to get some bulk vinyl, any color you want... cut a circle with my body circle cutter, and stick that in the center, and voila! i used some in chrome, and a holographic design. ill get a pic later to illustrate.

im not a big fan of the black wheels myself, either... but they are different.

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:30 AM   #97
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonium
good point, carl... what i did was to get some bulk vinyl, any color you want... cut a circle with my body circle cutter, and stick that in the center, and voila! i used some in chrome, and a holographic design. ill get a pic later to illustrate.

im not a big fan of the black wheels myself, either... but they are different.
I've seen guys doing this in the past...it actually looks really cool. I'm definately going to get the new Corally...and get back into 12th scale. When is it going to be available?
Old 03-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #98
HK
Tech Apprentice

I used to work in the sticker printing industry, i have lots of sticker sheets with various colours that i use to cut and stick them onto the corally rims to match the bodyshell theme, any fav colour silver gold pink, here is one example
Attached Thumbnails
New Corally SP12X-white.jpg   New Corally SP12X-chrome.jpg  

Last edited by HK; 03-02-2006 at 12:13 PM.
HK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #99
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
Is that a no.
jrrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #100
Tech Regular

Default 12th vs Tour

Syndrome, thanks, but I don't really have a distane for touring cars, I just don't think it is the best thing to intoduce the hobby. I love driving my tourer, carpet road course, we have started oval truck with them, and looking foward to the summer on the ashphalt.

But, my heart lies with the original.

Peter
superjet701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #101
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
I do not own a Corally. But I had a chance to take a close look at the Corally wheel setup from the gentleman who runs my LHS. All I can say is while sure..the corally wheels arent "common", I find thier design genius. The engineering of the wheels definatly gives the impression that it would be alot harder to break a Corally wheel than it would a standard wheel. Not to mention how easy it looked to remove them...*clip* and its off. I dont think the wheel thing would keep me from buying one.

**U hit the nail on the head!

AMEN Brother!
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:19 PM   #102
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Back in the late 80's, an small aftermarket company (can't remember who) use to make a conversion kit which allowed you to use TRC type front tires and an associated diff / axle in the rear.

Basically, the kit includes an aluminum sleeve which the ID was 3/8 and OD was 8MM or 9mm (whatever the OD of the corally rear axle bearing was)

Basically, the sleeve would go over the associated flanged bearing and fit snug into the corally rear-axle bearing holders. Worked great. But the downside was having to shim the hell out of rear axle to space it properly and you had to run either extra long pinions gears or a pinion gear spacer (made by niftech) in order for the center mounted motor to reach the spur gear.

For the front. You got two new alum axles. One side would clip into the hub carriers as the stock one, the other side was machined to to fit the wheel or 5/16 OD. Because of the larger size, the clips no longer held the wheel in place, you used an o-ring.

I really liked my Corally....I actually think C. Doseck ran a corally this way back in the day...That's how I found out about the conversion kit.

The manufacturer was called "Du-Mor Racing"... I still have that conversion kit, but I think it was available only of the SP10 (1/10th scale).

Last edited by tbeardmore; 03-02-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #103
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
So, what are the compounds of choice for Ozite carpet in Corally's tires? Maybe it's time to buy them now while they're easy to find.

You guys might want to place a big order if these are the only tires we can use. Since I don't have any 1/12th tires, I guess I don't care who makes them or what their design is, so long as they work and can be easily obtained.

Syndrome - My preference is Gold Rear (similar to Gray's) and Silver Fronts (similar to Purple). I have had success running Silver/Silver -or- Gold/Gold whenever I've run into a "GREEN" track situation. >meaning the groove hasn't developed yet<
Old 03-02-2006, 08:34 PM   #104
Tech Fanatic

Talking

Quote:

FYI - Availability is supposed to be this month (Probably after the 15th)

I just placed my pre-order Last Friday with Corally USA! (First order in the Country - I think)

Call: 407.681.5905 ask for Jeff Brown to place your order NOW and be one of the first in the country to own the New SP12X...!!!

Last edited by tbeardmore; 03-02-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:50 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What is the street price on the kit? Also, what do they charge for a set of tires?