R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Just out of curiosity, has anybody tried fitting rear wheel hubs for Associated style wheels? And front axles for that matter...
MartinSorlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #32
Tech Fanatic

hi all;yes i have heard that 12th pan cars are more of a handfull to drive than say 10th pan cars or sedans.i will say this though 12th pan cars and sedans are cheaper to buy in most cases and require less space to run than 1oth pan and sedans do.just my $0.02 worth
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This has to be the sweetest 1/12 scale I have ever seen. I might have to run 1/12 next year. BUT, what's the deal on the tires? Corally specific? that's going to be a big turn off in the states if so.

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:44 AM   #34
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Phillips
This has to be the sweetest 1/12 scale I have ever seen. I might have to run 1/12 next year. BUT, what's the deal on the tires? Corally specific? that's going to be a big turn off in the states if so.
thats the only thing thats holding me back. you have to run corally tires and ive heard that the rear ride height doesnt give you wide range of choices either. ohh and you have to use corally pinions (longer). other than that, this car looks awesome!
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #35
Tech Master

You are right, you WILL need long boss pinions, Corally rims and yep, you don't get that much ride height of the 'torque tube' design meaning you can't go that small with the rear tyres! What you will get though is one of the easiest cars to work on ever. Front wheels are held on by a small clip, undo the clip, pull the wheel off (no bearings to fall out because the 'live' axles have the bearings inside the steering block), replace with new wheels and pop the clip back on. Takes about 10 seconds to change front rims if you take your time! Rears have a similar system however you have to take one bearing out of the drive side and a plastic bushing, a drive plate and a plastic bearing out of the non drive side. Rear wheels changes are longer, about 25 seconds if you take your time. For running US style wheels, you used to be able to buy what looked like plastic bearings that you pushed into the front wheels then put onto the axle. Not so sure about the rears although years ago, one of the guys from the local club made something up resulting in an associated axle (and rims of course) running on his Corally chassis. Corally cars really are easy to use and after this posting, I'm wondering why I changed to a CEFX!! Cheers, Chris.
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #36
Tech Adept

If JACO would make the corally wheels the problem would be solved right.

ROnald
mooony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #37
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Don't see how that would make any difference - it would still be a different wheel compared to AE/Trinity.

It is true to say that on the 12M you could be a little limited in rear tyre size. However, to be honest, the car doesn't run as well IMHO with really small tyres. You can easily go gown to about 46mm, but the car doesn't handle that well at the end of the run - at least with the tyres/adative (odourless) we run in the UK. However, that doesn't mean that the new car will be the same.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #38
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

How reasonable would it be to make an adapter or a kit allowing people in the states to run other wheels if they so desire? There seems to be a lot of interest in this car from people over here.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:16 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Corally has a update motor pod, you can run rear tyre as small as 41mm.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW
Don't see how that would make any difference - it would still be a different wheel compared to AE/Trinity.
The problem is not the wheel but to find different foams. Jaco does not sell foam donuts(only to large resellers) anymore so it means you can not use jaco foams. The foam donuts that you can buy from towerhobbies are only a small assortment and not the full range. If Jaco would sell the corally wheels with there foams it will be a lot easier to find tires for your corally unless you have different cars. I only have corally cars so I would not have this problem.

Ronald
mooony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #41
Tech Regular

I have seen a guy made special adapters to use US style front wheel s & rear diff(and wheels) on Corally car. So I'm sure it can be done.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #42
Tech Adept

I have heard that Corally is finally working on adapting their 12th scale to accept standard 12th wheels. That will definitely help get people to buy them.

But, if you don't mind the special wheels, the prices for Corally 12th tires is usually about 40-50% cheaper than PSE, Jaco and TRC. You are limited in compounds, but for club racing that isn't too bad.

As for parts, they aren't that hard to get. I believe that Superior Hobbies in Florida is the US Distributor for Corally. From what I hear, they keep a good stock of parts on hand.

I used to run Corally. I ran the SP12, SP12G and SP12G2. Awesome cars, and absolutely the easiest to work on. Compared to the newer cars, those old Corally's that I ran just won't compete. They were 'tweakless' cars. The rear pod just floated with their little 'goo-pod' for dampening. They didn't even have a shock. This new 12X looks interesting.... might have to give it a try, if just for nostalgia sake!
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #43
HK
Tech Apprentice

corally rims last 20 years they never ever break, you can buy foams of whatever brand, mount it yourself and save money.
you can also remove jaco tyres from its rims easily without chemical or equipment (proline-jaco plastic bag packing only)

corally pinions are good quality the teeth are sharp & runs with any spur efficiently. Torx screws are the best, you can tighten parts to the max securely without damaging its drive head. my ael3 good-for-looks screws keep falling out during runs, and fragile to overtightening.

This new design is very simple & unique, lowest CG in the market i think, a must buy.
HK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #44
Tech Adept

Default Testing....

Simo is testing a prototype at the Snowbird Nationals. If you look real close at the pic of the drivers .... You see Sake, Simo, Chris and David (new driver for the 12x at the Worlds ?).
ECHOLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

http://www.rc50.com/modules.php?name...bum=12&pos=186

That link is a pic to I believe Chris Dosek's car at the Snowbirds. I've heard that this one was going to be a conversion but maybe not even offered now. Notice the pod is much lower then the standard car, has the old style front beam, but the BIG thing is that is uses 3 bolt rear tires as well as normal front tires. In case you were wondering those are John's BSR Racing Tires on the car.
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote