Like Tree222Likes

VBC Ghost18

Old 02-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
In my opinion the G18 is ultra sensitive to tires. On two occasions, my G18 was undriveable with USGT tires that were worn and beginning to show the death ring. Put on new tires and it was good to go. It may have been a setup issue, but if it was I was unable to figure it out. By contrast, I have no such problem with my D09.

Another idea to consider is that when the rear is loose that means that the front has too much grip.
Yeah, the tires are almost brand new. I will try adjusting the front grip level!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:30 PM
Tech Initiate

there could be a number of things that could cause the rear to "whip out": Roll center to high, (like JC3 mentioned) to much front end grip (weight transfer), not enough rear toe, to much droop (not enough over ride height up-travel), or simply tires not broken in.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:51 PM
Tech Addict

What aluminum chassis fits the g18? Us it made yet? Or dk you need it for black carpet?
Old 02-15-2019, 04:18 AM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamThibault View Post
What aluminum chassis fits the g18? Us it made yet? Or dk you need it for black carpet?
This one! You don't necessarily need this chassis for carpet but it may be a useful option.

VBC part number - 41708

Ghost18 aluminum chassis
Old 02-15-2019, 05:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
This one! You don't necessarily need this chassis for carpet but it may be a useful option.

VBC part number - 41708

Ghost18 aluminum chassis
I highly recommend the aluminum chassis. I run VTA on Black CRC carpet and it changed the car dramatically. Without it the car has too much grip and gets bogged down. I would only use the kit fiberglass chassis on pavement.
JC3 likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I recently picked up a Ghost 18 since VTA is our club’s largest (and growing) class while 1/12th scale (my personal favorite and specialty) is shrinking. So I didn’t want to spend a bunch on a VTA car because I’m really a pancar guy at heart. Having just finished the build, I can say that the Ghost 18 is HUGE content for the price. The parts look fantastic and they go together well. Only a few bits needed to be clearanced for proper fitment and free motion, but this is normal for most kits irrespective of price. I’m so very impressed with the Ghost and especially with what VBC is doing with it’s sub $200 pricing. The only real knock is one that previous posters have commented on......the manual does absolutely suck. It contains way too many glaring errors, which is a real shame for what would otherwise be an ideal entry level kit. On the whole though, this thing is just fantastic. More reporting to follow after this weekend’s maiden on-track voyage.
simple and DarthBacon101 like this.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, that manual is for the birds.

Did yours come with all the parts, and all the parts fit? Mine came with a mis-machined outdrive, and the wrong suspension blocks.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes, mine came with all the parts, and nice parts they are. The only things that I needed to massage were to sand the little nylon spacers at the lower arm hinge pins to “skinny” them slightly. And the small hingepins at the bottom of the C-hubs and rear hubs were a little tight so I lightly reamed the plastics there. Aside from those two minor and common items plus realizing the silly errors in the manual, everything else fit nice and went together easily. It has the look of a $600 kit, not a bargain priced one.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:09 AM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
Yes, mine came with all the parts, and nice parts they are. The only things that I needed to massage were to sand the little nylon spacers at the lower arm hinge pins to “skinny” them slightly. And the small hingepins at the bottom of the C-hubs and rear hubs were a little tight so I lightly reamed the plastics there. Aside from those two minor and common items plus realizing the silly errors in the manual, everything else fit nice and went together easily. It has the look of a $600 kit, not a bargain priced one.
You'll get closer to the $600 mark as you add the: Aluminum chassis, D07 steering rack and turnbuckles, Anti-Tweak battery mount, and CNC diff!

BTW, mines currently for sale for the cost of a new kit.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

I had originally subscribed to this thread in the hopes that there would be some valuable suggestions for maintenance and performance. Unfortunately it has been predominantly occupied by a few highly negative and vocal members.
I intend to keep this car for another year or two, as it has performed well for me and has stood up well to the club racing I've put it through.
But, I no longer consider this thread a resource of any value, other than a platform for complaining.
- unsubscribed -
dvaid852456 likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:20 PM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by simple View Post
I had originally subscribed to this thread in the hopes that there would be some valuable suggestions for maintenance and performance. Unfortunately it has been predominantly occupied by a few highly negative and vocal members.
I intend to keep this car for another year or two, as it has performed well for me and has stood up well to the club racing I've put it through.
But, I no longer consider this thread a resource of any value, other than a platform for complaining.
- unsubscribed -
Baloney. You'll find the same tone in any kit related thread, VBC or otherwise.

This thread is pretty well balanced. Old_Dude and Johnny Wishbone are both very positive. Mr. Wishbone has been phenomenally helpful. I'm vocal and negative if you want to focus on that. Otherwise, I've provided plenty of helpful information to G18 owners.

In this thread you'll find the following information:

How to navigate the manual and overcome its omissions.
How to assemble the kit properly.
Specific setup info for black carpet.
How to FIX the problem with the kit shocks.
How to FIX the problem with the kit insert blowouts.
How to FIX the problems with the kit slider rack.
How to FIX the problem of droop associated with the kit shocks.
How to FIX the anti-tweak battery mount.
How to make and fit custom 1.6mm swaybars.
Plenty of part number information especially with hard to source older Wildfire D05/6/7/8/9 parts.
Feedback on how the aluminum chassis works.
General troubleshooting information regarding the build and setups.

You want more? Well...., start posting!

Last edited by JC3; 02-22-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:48 PM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Furthermore, I'm a VBC fan. I've got my fellow racers, who have never even heard of VBC let alone thought of buying one, thinking about it now. I'm selling my G18 not because I hate it, rather, because I love it!

I liked my G18 so much that I bought a D09! I bought a used one for $180 and overhauled it for around $100. I consider this a steal. The D09 is truly amazing and I have less money in it than I do the G18.

The G18 is what it is. I'll be damned however, as an owner of one, to say that it is free of flaws. I've done my best to help address the flaws I found or could fix. I detailed those fixes so others could benefit from my efforts. If you bought a G18 you've got a nice chassis that needs attention and some upgrades. Old_dude is running A mains with his lightly modified kit and I did well with mine. As he says, "it's capable." I agree.

From G18 to D09:

For sale: G18 with aluminum chassis, D07 steering rack, D07 turnbuckles, D07 suspension mounts, aluminum spool, 1.6mm front swaybar, Yokomo blue shock seals.

D09. Amazing.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:12 AM
Tech Addict

I would like to see a few more pictures of there ride.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

I will agree that there was a lot of negative posting about the car and its shortcomings. I had one of the first kits in the U.S. but I am an experienced builder. That led me to most of the solutions to the manuals shortcomings. To date the only non kit parts on my car are the larger sway bars (needed for carpet), D05/Wildfire hinge pin mounts, aluminum chassis and a X-Ray servo saver. I run in VTA and even use the original kit springs. I prefer the kit rack steering vs the bellcranks but that is a personal thing. The hinge pin mounts are for durability. After a year I did have to replace the slider part of the rack because it wore out. I have broken one arm and one front knuckle all in putting a lot of laps on it. I have raced it at Von Perry's NoBody's Fool, The NORCAR Summer Slam, The Halloween Classic, Indoor Champs, Southern Nationals and the Snowbirds. My worst finish has been "B" main TQ and winner at the Southern Nationals (largest field). All other events I put the car in the "A". I am a good driver (not great) so take it for what it is worth. I like the car and look forward to another year with it. I will be graduating it to the USGT class in the near future so stay tuned for how that goes.
TeamThibault and JC3 like this.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:33 PM
Tech Addict

Im a new owner of a g18. Haven't got a chance to build it yet.

So on there web site(vbc racing) how can you tell if they have parts in stock ?

Any tips for building this chassis.?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service