R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-01-2002, 11:39 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Futureal,

Have you looked at the Team Orion website, they have Oscar J. doing updates on their site. They have three reports listed with probably 2 more coming at some point.

Steve
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 11:46 PM   #62
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anyone know what the top ten results are? in mod?
SCIDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:20 AM   #63
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

FUTUREAL. Go to the Orion web page. Oscar has some good shots of Hara's prototype.

I can't get over a company like HPI blatantly building a car from parts from other manufacturers. It must be really humiliating!

As far as I know the rules don't allow you to mix parts from different motor manufacturers when building motors. So why do they allow it with cars, unless you call your car a Special.....with a special name.

Mind you, we all know about the manufacturer that X Rayed another good car and then called it with a different name.

Which brings me to Corally. Certainly seems to be going in the right direction, doesn't it? The only non TC3 / Losi in the A final. So much for the critics!

Can't wait to see the results.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:45 AM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Dumas in Mod Sedan and Doseck in 1/12th scale?!??!

WHOA!!!! I KNEW I should have gone this year!!!
Old 12-02-2002, 01:59 AM   #65
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Re: HPI prototype

Quote:
Originally posted by Aurra Sing
[The most recent prototype] looks more like a TRF414M rather. The suspension pivot blocks, especially are clearly influenced by the Tamiya TRF414M series. It even uses a TRF414 bumper!
not to mention looking like a TB EVO 3
Old 12-02-2002, 02:05 AM   #66
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner

Skar - get a car and practice up for the ROAR Nats in March..hehe.
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 03:15 AM   #67
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by corallyman
Have you looked at the Team Orion website, they have Oscar J. doing updates on their site. They have three reports listed with probably 2 more coming at some point.
Heh, I have actually been spending most of my free time writing the backend software that will power the next evolution of this site, so I haven't gotten around the web much. I will check it out.

Now if only I could get these company-types to do their updates over here...
Old 12-02-2002, 04:54 AM   #68
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

did mike dumas take down the win in mod sedan??? does anyone have the results? go mike!
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 07:35 AM   #69
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Kurschner
Skar - get a car and practice up for the ROAR Nats in March..hehe.
Ummm....I'd need a 100% ride since I like....sold most of my stuff last weekend....
Old 12-02-2002, 10:10 AM   #70
Tech Adept

JohnBull...

Just a little info for you. Most Companies us other manufacture parts to do proto-type testing, it's alot less expensive to test an idea with parts that already exist than it is to have every part custom made. Another example is TC3 racers using XXXS steering parts on there cars.

ECHOLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 10:27 AM   #71
Tech Master

ECHO.

OK. Fair comment.

But it's one thing using one or two items from other cars whilst testing, and another thing building half your car from other manufacturers parts.

Then of course there's the extreme case of simply photographing....for want of another word.... a car and downright copying it. That happens too of course, doesn't it!

I'm impressed with the qualifying results. Now can someone tell us who took the finals. It's almost 24 hours since Sunday afternoon in Ohio, isn't it?

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:19 AM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Interesting and entertaining comments here..

never judge a book by it's cover....ask yourself, what really makes one chassis different from another?...the looks, or the suspension/chassis geometry?...first glance, yeah it does LOOK like the others, but until you know the particulars......

I LOVE THIS GAME..
Old 12-02-2002, 02:16 PM   #73
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A couple observations...

This was my first time to the Cleveland Indoor Champs. I've been hearing about this race and wanting to come to this race for close to 15 years now, and all the planets finally aligned for me this year. All this talk about it being the premier event - Hardly... Perhaps only in the sense that it attracts a lot of great professional drivers that put on quite a show for the rest of us.

Nothing personal against the staff and organizers, but I was shocked at a number of things:
1) "Tech" was incredibly lax and inconsistent.
2) "No talking on the drivers stand." What?!?! Not only should talking be allowed, it should be encouraged for the sake of clean passing (as announcing did a rather mediocre job of calling passes for race leaders).
3) Technical glitches. Sure, these are going to happen, but the software seemed quite outdated and very buggy and prone to reset/reboot. For the money that is being charged to the field for this race, it only seems logical that some should be re-invested back into their infrastructure.

All things considered, I had a good time at this event and will likely be back next year, but I'd like to see a few things get straightened out before I'll agree that it's one of the top 10 races in the world on a yearly basis.
Stogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:39 PM   #74
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Orlando for explaining that "all is not as you see" when it comes to protoype testing.

From the outset, the prototype HPI TC has been different than the TC3 in many ways. The Alex Barracuda came out AFTER the prototype shaft drive car was being tested, FYI, and there are many parts that were made just for Cleveland to test (the steering is just one, which is why it is not anodized like the other parts). If the car is a photocopy of the TC3 (which came out before the TB, we don't hear anyone complaining about that or the Academy car), why does it incorporate ideas that the TC3 does not? Battery position (and I don't mean it being on the opposite side of the shaft), steering, motor location, suspension, etc., many things are different and have been different from the beginning.

You know, AE got the same bum rap from people when the TC3 came out, about them copying the Predator (I should know, I was one of those people! and so were some of you I'm sure).

Prototype testing involves testing many ideas from many different cars. Cliff Lett himself told me (after I asked him about the resemblance to the Predator) that when designing the TC3 they bought all of the available touring cars at the time, so see all the different ideas and see what worked and what didn't. This is nothing new, it's standard design practice.

Walk into any R&D department anywhere and you'll see competitor's products all over the place. No one complained when Datsun/Nissan borrowed the design of the BMW 2002 for the 510 or when Mazda used the specs of the 60's Lotus Elan for the Miata. And look how successful the 510 and Miata were and have become. As Cliff told me, there's only so many ways to design a shaft drive car. SO many things have been changed on the HPI protoTC that the only parts that aren't stock TC3 are the diffs, which are expensive to make because of machining costs.

I can only hope when the new car comes out that it's everything you guys think the Pro 3 isn't. Maybe we can put a sticker on there, "Guaranteed to take off .4 seconds a lap!" or something.

FM
HPI USA
Frank McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:45 PM   #75
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

doseck won in spectular fashion??

can anyone give post a little of how the mains went, like who did what and who led when etc..?????
shrekair is offline   Reply With Quote