Like Tree28Likes

HOBBYKING BLAZE R2

Old 02-12-2018, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 192 (100%+)

Originally Posted by I)arkness View Post
saw Blaze R2 on weekend, had same part number engraving on suspension blocks as supplied with MTS T2
does it have a 18t center pulley? the specs says the internal is 2.1
Old 02-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hard to say unless pulling it apart. Most likely have done this due to the type of people wanting to purchase this car, makes it easier for them to get desired ratio without having to go get new pulleys.

i would say chassis would need much work, as it had plastic bulkheads and various other cheaper alloy alternatives. Was surprised though given the crappy fake carbon, it was relatively stiff. but time would tell upon racing.
also drive train did seem very free which i was surprised and shocks felt good.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

hard to say unless pulling it apart. Most likely have done this due to the type of people wanting to purchase this car, makes it easier for them to get desired ratio without having to go get new pulleys.

i would say chassis would need much work, as it had plastic bulkheads and various other cheaper alloy alternatives. Was surprised though given the crappy fake carbon, it was relatively stiff. but time would tell upon racing.
$99 not bad
Old 02-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've got one on order to see how it performs. I'd like to be able to recommend a decent cheap car to beginners, but won't recommend anything I haven't personally used.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

The carbon fibre is real as far as I know. Coloured cf has been around a long time.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Carbon is a single 'cosmetic' layer on the outside, the rest is fibreglass. Hobbyking even say so in the Intro video.
DarthBacon101 likes this.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
The Carbon is a single 'cosmetic' layer on the outside, the rest is fibreglass. Hobbyking even say so in the Intro video.
Thanks Tony, I stand corrected :-P.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

It arrived this morning. A quick unboxing:

Old 02-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I havenít dealt with HobbyKing much but how easy is it to get parts say for this kit from them. I donít seem to navigate their site too well as I either missed something or they donít list many spares or tuning parts for this kit.

On another note that is cool that for $99 you get a built decent looking car.. Something like this with some low cost electronics would be great for beginners or new to on road people to test the waters.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ThrottleKing View Post
I havenít dealt with HobbyKing much but how easy is it to get parts say for this kit from them. I donít seem to navigate their site too well as I either missed something or they donít list many spares or tuning parts for this kit.

On another note that is cool that for $99 you get a built decent looking car.. Something like this with some low cost electronics would be great for beginners or new to on road people to test the waters.
parts should be easy to find they are the same as the MTS ans on the MTS you can use xray suspension components.
massenb203 and massenb203 like this.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Could potentially be a good low bite asphalt car with flexible chassis and plastic bulkheads.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ThrottleKing View Post

HobbyKing have been pretty good with their other cheap cars that I've been following. It's too early to say right now what they'll stock for this car but I imagine it'll be enough.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tvih View Post
I'm not sure if the Blaze's body is a race-legal body, that would depend on the class etc I guess, but works for practice driving if nothing else.
The body has an EFRA stamp on it, so should be legal for normal TC classes. It's a Speed 6 from A-PLUS
Old 02-13-2018, 08:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Glad your taking a hit for the team and doing a review on this kit GIGAPLEX. Pretty cool of you.
I have had good success with HK electronics (depending on what it was/review carefully) but never popped on a kit before, been tempted but never have. was kicking around the quantum vandal for a while, since i am kind of an offroad guy, but never bought one.
excited for your review and others as i think i might swoop on one of these kits prior to next years indoor season. It might be perfect for me to test the waters of on road and try my hand without breaking the bank. I have a Brushed 27t monster hp trinity laying around that might be a good fit for something like this... ?
Also: how good will the tires work on carpet like the stuff in your pictures?

Side note: Noticed the USA HK wharehouse was already out of stock for this kit, hopefully that is a good sign...
Anyone know why "BASHER R4" parts come up for this kit at HK?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:24 AM
Tech Master

So they've basically copied Tamiya artwork in the manual

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service