Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TC4 hopup questions (VTA car) >

TC4 hopup questions (VTA car)

Like Tree3Likes

TC4 hopup questions (VTA car)

Old 08-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
1. I am not a fan of aluminum parts as they are often heavier than stock and don't add much if any more durability. The one area that tends to break on the TC4 is the steering rack system. Maybe an after market item here would be OK. The stock cups on the drive shaft are fine and no need to spend money replacing.

2. I run a TC4 in VTA with a Hobbywing V10 25.5 motor and my FDR is 3.91 which I achieve by using a 75T spur and a 48T pinion all 64 pitch.

3. I tend to go to the Savox SC-1251MG as a standard steering servo in my sedans and as this is a low profile type, there is more space on the chassis to mount electronics. In my race VTA TC4, I am currently using a Power HD 1206TG servo. This is a titanium gear low profile servo and is almost identical to the Savox. Both use a 25 tooth spline which is the same as Futaba which makes things easy.

I replaced the stock plastic shocks with a set of aluminum shocks by Yeah Racing. Check the TC4 thread for my posts with pictures. They work fine but need some tweaking to get right.
did you have to do any modding for bigger pinion and spur?
Old 08-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Due to the heavy VTA type bodies I would recommend running the gold swaybars front and rear with the body as low as possible on CRC carpet, then use the hardest springs(usually blue) as possible without traction rolling....
Old 08-12-2018, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Due to the heavy VTA type bodies I would recommend running the gold swaybars front and rear with the body as low as possible on CRC carpet, then use the hardest springs(usually blue) as possible without traction rolling....
Blues are the third softest spring AE made for the TC3/4
Old 08-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Blues are the third softest spring AE made for the TC3/4
Yes I know, and, depending on the crc carpet traction, it's the hardest spring I was able to manage with the stiffer gold swaybars& lowest roll centers(f&r) without traction rolling. The next harder gold springs can work, but might be on the edge of immediate traction rolling....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 08-12-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeremyreed View Post
did you have to do any modding for bigger pinion and spur?
To run a final drive ratio that works, I did Dremel the webbing on the chassis below the spur and pinion area.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:40 PM
Tech Rookie

The best mod to do is to buy the kaizen tc4 conversion. lol. Nice stuff. I'm buying one next friday. I'll post up how it turns out.
Running my vta tc4 the best upgrade I noticed. Or at least made my times go down the most was a bearing kit. I would recommend Boca bearings. Wait for a coupon And buy the best ones you can afford.
The next best thing is the factory team hinge pin arm mounts. The ones that have the O X and what not on them.That made for about a .5 second decrease. Just remember run the 3 degrees X rear unless the track is somewhat straight And you have hela traction then get the 2.5.
Another good upgrade was the factory team shocks with the VCS2 upgraded bladders in them. That gave me another easy .3 seconds. Plus makes it way more reliable and you don't need to worry about leaks.
The cheapest upgrade with the best gain has to be to change the stock rod ends for the open tc7 ones. They will fit on the ft rods and they stay tight for waywayway longer.