Search
Like Tree210Likes

Tamiya TRF103

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 04:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi,
thanks for the Kind words.

A friend of mine trief it outdoors and he was pretty happy as well, but the car gets easier to drive with the links (in my opinion).
With that high grip at the ETS it is important that your car is easy to drive.

Well basically i drive the car out of the box. That's what i want to do with every car, because only that way i can help other Drivers with their cars.
As the next ETS is in february I'm planning on testing some different stuff. F.e. gear diff, Caster plate made by SepesRacing and so on...
I can Keep you updated on this if you are interested.

Best regards
Simon
Old 11-07-2018, 04:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

that would be great. really curious about the caster plate. Thanks for coming here
f1larry and F N CUDA like this.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Simon_L
Hi,
thanks for the Kind words.

A friend of mine trief it outdoors and he was pretty happy as well, but the car gets easier to drive with the links (in my opinion).
With that high grip at the ETS it is important that your car is easy to drive.

Well basically i drive the car out of the box. That's what i want to do with every car, because only that way i can help other Drivers with their cars.
As the next ETS is in february I'm planning on testing some different stuff. F.e. gear diff, Caster plate made by SepesRacing and so on...
I can Keep you updated on this if you are interested.

Best regards
Simon
Yes please keep us updated here.

thsnk you!
F N CUDA likes this.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys,

so I organiced the T-bar Setup a friend of mine used at the RT Pegasus Masters (ETS carpet with large but demanding layout)and uploaded it on petitrc.
(I think the rear height adjuster is ticked wrong in the sheet).
You have to look it up by yourself because i can't post links at the Moment...

He managed to score a great P4 and was fastest in the first practice sessions (in front of me, David Ehrbar, Andreas Stiebler, ...) with lower grip.
When the grip came up he was struggling a Little bit but still could finish 4th.
So as a conclusion i would say that the T-bar Setup with Kit-chassis is more useful on low grip but when it Comes to high grip the link-Setup is faster.
But as always feel free to test that on yourselves and let me know!

best regards,
Simon
C van der Hagen and F N CUDA like this.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

I will be testing the t-bar setup and the link setup head-to-head this weekend will take pics and report back
robk, F N CUDA and Simon_L like this.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by fat500
I will be testing the t-bar setup and the link setup head-to-head this weekend will take pics and report back
you're lucky i was having problems with my F1 you fat500 bastard, I'll get you and Dre next race!
Old 11-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Ok so ran the link set up from day one. was quick but inconsistent on our outdoor layout with med traction comes up as the day goes on to high tract..... Villageraceway.com if want to take a look.
built a second kit with the t bar for a buddy. we ran both head to head driving each others cars. Both were built to the manual specs and both running 571-572 pits.
needless to say after the run I ran to the pit and switched my car to the t bar setup. Car came to life....had to turn the steering rate down to 65 from 90 and car was on point...REALLY on point....
I will be sticking with the t bar for now.... seems best for my track.... I really missed my trf102 until I did this.... now it is long forgotten lol.
Try the t bar if you have not...... easy to switch

btw me and dre...... we smoked sonic31 and his associated with the trf103's and he is a top shelf racer
robk and Simon_L like this.

Last edited by fat500; 11-21-2018 at 03:21 PM. Reason: more
Old 11-23-2018, 12:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

btw me and dre...... we smoked sonic31 and his associated with the trf103's and he is a top shelf racer[/QUOTE]
smoked lol i swear every time we race you guys take such wide lines in the turns i giggle when i pass you, I'll stand beside you next time so you can hear it 🤪🤪🤪
Simon L. don't be fooled by fat500 charm, he goes to bed at 7pm 😉😁😴

Last edited by sonic31; 11-26-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys (and girls?),

so after some time a first feedback from my side on severall parts:

Caster plate by Sepes racing:
- basics: thickness is 2.5mm and great quality. the caster adjuster are perfect fit without play although they are easier fit than with the kit plate
- on track: did, what i expected it to do. changed from 9 degree to 3 degree for a greater difference in car handling - way makes the car easier to drive on high grip and more consistent in laptimes. decreases steering in fast corners ,but that helps the car with corner speed in my opinion. with 9 degree of caster i could see the chassis moving in corners leading to traction rolling or uncontrollable spins when front bites to much. both aspects were gone after getting the car stuffed up with 3 degree caster.
- overall: great product, highly recommend it for high grip like ets

gear diff:
- tested the gear diff of a famous RC company starting with an X ;P
- for me the car gets more consistent, but i think thats basically because i am terrible in building ball diffs.
- changing diff hardeness is more consistent and thats a big + for me, as i can rebuild the diff or change spur gear and get an exact same hard diff afterwards
- didnt get faster on fastest lap ,but i will keep the diff for now because of the mentioned reasons
- if you are good in building ball diffs i honestly dont think the diff is worth its price (-> have t test the carbon axle as well but with steel axle i don't consider the diff a must have)

other things:
- after testinf i am sure that the bent chassis (i mentioned before) caused my problem in vienna
- tried many things(springs, toe, caster, weights, bodies, ...) to make the car even easier to drive and get more corner speed. now i am lacking a bit of steering , but i am sure i can fix that for ETS rd.2
- as i got many messages on the alu chassis - christian donath sells them , just write him on facebook. there are two versions (standard and "flexy sexy"), atm i am using the standard chassis.

Wont be testing much in the next weeks as some quality time with family and friends in planned, 2019 i will be back on track and hope to improve all my cars even more.
for now i wish you great holidays, feel free to ask questions and stuff

Best regards
Simon
Old 12-16-2018, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Broke my lower rear plate yesterday. Thought I would not be able to race today, but I was told to put the t-plate on. I am running on high grip black crc carpet. Car was awesome, more consistent to drive and faster than my link set up, going to stick with it. Next I am going to take the next suggestion to try the short wheelbase.

robk and Dan like this.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ya Larry your car was good. It was nice to see a t-bar car working so well on carpet kinda makes the gears start turning lol.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KINGZJ
Ya Larry your car was good. It was nice to see a t-bar car working so well on carpet kinda makes the gears start turning lol.
shortened the wheel base you should see it now😊

we fo have one on the shelf. TCS March 23rd at WCRC
Old 12-19-2018, 02:11 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Your car was super fast! Turning faster lap times than my X1 in the main. Forgot to ask if you were using a ball diff or spool.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan
Your car was super fast! Turning faster lap times than my X1 in the main. Forgot to ask if you were using a ball diff or spool.
it basically is a spool, I have the Tamiya bushings in the diff instead of balls, so the diff is locked. I am using that to keep car TCS legal, I have a spool I made for the car as well.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by f1larry

shortened the wheel base you should see it now😊

we fo have one on the shelf. TCS March 23rd at WCRC
Muahahaha.....
Rick Vessell likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.