Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
f1 are just like a 1/12th. read more here-
http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/rctips_112_summary.pdf
Richard Chang - Hero to all of us clueless racecar tuners
Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

The one thing I’d say about this, though, is that rubber tires are hugely different than foam. Further, the wheelbases are dramatically different. There is also a power to weight ratio difference.

So, the 1/12th setup page has been very helpful with my 1/12th car of course. The general knowledge of how pan cars work is also great from the 1/12th wiki. But, be sure to experiment with what you find.

Spring information seem to transfer well and so do many other aspects. But acheiving rear grip has been quite different, probably due to the rubber tire difference and the associated tire wall and surface rollover.

On a new black capet last week my 1/12th was brilliant, but my similarly conceptualized f1 setup was not ideal. You need a way higher grip surface to achieve the same results...there is so much of a difference of where the lateral fulcrum is swung about due to the wheelbase to width ratio.

Again, pan car setup is similar across the board in most ways. Best bet is to further find setup sheet examples and information on petitrc for your particular chassis.

Last edited by JeffofSpace; 10-12-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Tech Champion

You are correct in that an F1 car will certainly be much better off if you bias toward rear traction. "You can't launch a cannon from a canoe..."

However, I have had a copy of that setup guide in printed form for many years. The concepts hold true, but you have to apply it to your situation.
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

one new thing we saw this past weekend at the 2018 Halloween Classic -- some people were running low pro/ultra low pro shorty packs in F1. this made sense since the race used Can-Am rules and the batteries only removed 1200mah max in 6m
dawgmeat and iTz Nicholas72 like this.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Great thread. I'm going to play around w/ some of the ideas here Wednesday during an open practice...especially w/ the drag brake.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hanulec
one new thing we saw this past weekend at the 2018 Halloween Classic -- some people were running low pro/ultra low pro shorty packs in F1. this made sense since the race used Can-Am rules and the batteries only removed 1200mah max in 6m
This is definitely a thing on asphalt and will free the car up. On carpet, if you go straight to the LCG pack with no changes, the car might start lifting tires and can be harder to drive.

How are the newer packs on lap time over the run? With ROAR 25.5 motors the last generation packs lost a little more time than a standard shorty.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
This is definitely a thing on asphalt and will free the car up. On carpet, if you go straight to the LCG pack with no changes, the car might start lifting tires and can be harder to drive.

How are the newer packs on lap time over the run? With ROAR 25.5 motors the last generation packs lost a little more time than a standard shorty.
I think it's all glue dependant. My car go tight in later qualifiers so I took glue off and could of probably taken off more.

Traffic is real in f1. Might be harder than mod 1/12 to navigate...
robk, Rick Vessell and miller tyme like this.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

I ran a standard shorty last weekend for the first time and on black carpet. Gained two laps. A 2600 Mah battery.

Are standard shorties “legal” with roar?
Old 10-24-2018, 12:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeffofSpace
I ran a standard shorty last weekend for the first time and on black carpet. Gained two laps. A 2600 Mah battery.

Are standard shorties “legal” with roar?
Is your particular battery ROAR approved? If yes, then yes. If no, it's irrelevant as you're still running an "illegal" pack.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Yep it is. That is excellent news. The change affected instant nimbleness to the car.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:41 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Has anyone gone back to carbon chassis from an aluminum chassis on black carpet? Thoughts?
Old 10-30-2018, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

I will say this- I had a solid ALU chassis on my Xray for the 2016 ROAR nats in St Louis. It was black carpet. I felt like I was missing some mid corner steering. Most of the locals who ran Xray looked to have carbon chassis, and they were fast.

Beyond that, I have been using a CRC car (carbon fiber) for some time, and I have never felt like it needed a stiffer chassis. I know plenty of people use aluminum, and are successful. Perhaps it is just not written in stone to use aluminum for carpet in F1.

My only theory is that since these cars are on rubber tires, they benefit from some more traction in terms of chassis flex. I realize sedans use rubber tires too, but I think that 4wd and the weight makes it a different situation.
Markus likes this.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:13 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Also the weave of the CF too. I had a CRC F1 also but probably didn't register as much time as I should with that car. It was great on carpet but definitely a much stiffer CF composition and frontal area than say.... a carbon TRF102 chassis (not counting the T-bar, just chassis material)
Old 10-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I was running my Roche evo with graphite on black carpet. It was pretty good with pit 574/575. Just need to figure out how much to sauce the front. I just switched to aluminum preparing to run on gray carpet. I may bring it to try on black carpet again.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

My Roche with Carbon was amazing for CTS on Gray last year. Much better than my xray with alum was the year before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.