Search
Like Tree430Likes

Understanding F1 Tuning: Let’s break it down

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
rob, on black carpet, are you still using an LCG pack?
I never used one other than practice. Most of the time I like the regular shorties since traction is pretty high most of the time around here. I have been to places where the conditions have less bite, and the lcg has worked fine. I'm sure it can work in high traction too, but you may have to make some changes.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

On the vbc we put about 10g on the rear pod and it likes more than 10g extra in addition to the 30g brass lower suspension mount up front. All give the car more rear grip and more steering. Totally depends on the chassis.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Great info, thanks all
Old 08-28-2018, 08:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'd recommend people use their suspensions to dial in and weight as a fine tune.

On Saturday I built a new Roche Rapide F1 Evo kit at the track (speed world / CTS finale). In my first pack (setup like carpet) it was junk. Pushed going in. Loose going out.

I proceeded to go out for pack two with both dampener tubes disconnected and a 1.5mm wrench. I full sauced fronts. Not much better. Added two turns on side springs. Better. Added two more turns, now much better. Added one damper tube .. even faster. Second tube. Fast/faster but now loose. Removed second tube. Added another full turn on side spring. Fastest yet.
​​​​​​
Old 08-28-2018, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
I'd recommend people use their suspensions to dial in and weight as a fine tune.

On Saturday I built a new Roche Rapide F1 Evo kit at the track (speed world / CTS finale). In my first pack (setup like carpet) it was junk. Pushed going in. Loose going out.

I proceeded to go out for pack two with both dampener tubes disconnected and a 1.5mm wrench. I full sauced fronts. Not much better. Added two turns on side springs. Better. Added two more turns, now much better. Added one damper tube .. even faster. Second tube. Fast/faster but now loose. Removed second tube. Added another full turn on side spring. Fastest yet.
​​​​​​
Thursday black carpet practice nite threw down my XRAY X1 with set up that was good when I put it away a couple weeks before.
Mine too was now pushing into and loose out of corners. Full sauce front and rear.
Let some traffic lay down some laps, car was better but remembered I had a couple different pairs of glued fronts, one sidewalls only, one set sidewalls and tiny bit on outer edge of contact surface.
By the end of the night grip was so hi that I glued a tiny bit more of the contact surface to keep from grip rolling, this way I can stay with full sauce fronts, super dialed but can almost guarantee I will be using the non glued contact surface tires at the beginning of the next day out just to get steering until traction comes up.
In the past I was half sauce, 3/4 sauce, full sauce etc.
Now I've got a few sets (had them already) with the glue as the traction factor and full sauce is the go to.
Gonna see how that plays out this week.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:57 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Black carpet and needs for glue kinda kills all setup...
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:22 AM
Tech Initiate

This thread has been invaluable to me. I've only been dabling with F1 since March or so, but I've gone from sloppy 21/22 second laps, to consistent mid to low 19s, and just today consistent mid to high 18 second laps, with a PB of 18.3! No doubt a lot is practice, but learning about chassis handling, and tyre selection etc has made it a lot easier, no doubt a lot less frustrating, and in turn making it a lot more fun for me! Thanks for all the knowledgeable input!
Dan.
​​
robk, F N CUDA, mariob62 and 1 others like this.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Totally agree. I dig this thread!
mariob62 and Holmestead like this.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Rear axle spools - does anyone know who make a metric version? everything i've found is for imperial sized bearings. thanks.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:33 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

TRF103 F104 METRIC TO 1/4" AXLE ADAPTOR SET with 1/4" bearings - Exotek Racing

Maybe this might work?
Old 10-11-2018, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Markus
Rear axle spools - does anyone know who make a metric version? everything i've found is for imperial sized bearings. thanks.
Here, oops no URL allowed. search, HighvelocityRC on FB
Old 10-11-2018, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Thanks John. I've got there 1/4" one already. I asked if they had a metric one but they don't have one yet. Thanks Dan. I will try the exo chango. so I can use my regular items on my tamiya car.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default Conversion

This Exotek conversion works great! 3 or 4 of them running at our track. Inexpensive way to convert to the gear diff on a Tamiya car.

MikeR likes this.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec

​​​​​​

What or how do you turn the side springs? What does that do?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by bd007
What or how do you turn the side springs? What does that do?
f1 are just like a 1/12th. read more here-
http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/rctips_112_summary.pdf
bd007 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.