Like Tree430Likes

Understanding F1 Tuning: Let’s break it down

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim Neja
There are a couple of things depending on your setup. Reduce caster---stiffer side springs at the back.
Thanks I'll try that, adding weight to the front, overkill ?
Old 03-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think it is overkill. For my tracks, I usually run 5g weights on the underside of the bottom arm using a longer screw for the steering back stops (Xray).

Gone up to 15g on one occasion.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is there a secret to getting more steering consistency on an F1? I am running a CRC WTF1 FC16. I feel like I fight the car down the back stretch just to keep it straight. I've upgraded my servo to a standard size servo and changed the mounting of it which changed the servo saver orientation from perpendicular to horizontal. It just feels like it wants to drift, like it has a mind of its own. I've checked my alignment. I've set my end points. I'm turning fast laps but feel like I am losing some time simply because I just can't "drive it". I have to fight it.

Running on black carpet, btw.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rtebbe
Is there a secret to getting more steering consistency on an F1? I am running a CRC WTF1 FC16. I feel like I fight the car down the back stretch just to keep it straight. I've upgraded my servo to a standard size servo and changed the mounting of it which changed the servo saver orientation from perpendicular to horizontal. It just feels like it wants to drift, like it has a mind of its own. I've checked my alignment. I've set my end points. I'm turning fast laps but feel like I am losing some time simply because I just can't "drive it". I have to fight it.

Running on black carpet, btw.
Which tires? and check your diff setting.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Shimizu tires. I am running friction pegs in the diff as I was trying to combat riffing out.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Shimizu tires. I am running friction pegs in the diff as I was trying to combat riffing out.
The pegs are way stiff when you first run then for the 1-2 minutes. then one heated or warmed up your car stabilizes doesn't it. If so hold one wheel and lightly hit your throttle to warm the diff action. see if this helps you. I haven't run Pit tires in years now. I found I like the CRC premounts and have also been running the Gravity premounts.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

It doesn't seem to lessen over a run. I can attempt to do as you say. Maybe I need to try without the pegs, just go back to ball diff, to see if I get the same steering inconsistency. At least then I can rule out the diff or confirm it is the diff pegs.
freebird likes this.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If the car wants to wander or hunt down a straightaway you might try adding caster in very small amounts. Too much and it will kill corner entry. Also you might try adding toe in or reducing toe out.

What kind of prep work did you do to the pegs prior to installation?
Old 03-05-2018, 07:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mleemor60
If the car wants to wander or hunt down a straightaway you might try adding caster in very small amounts. Too much and it will kill corner entry. Also you might try adding toe in or reducing toe out.

What kind of prep work did you do to the pegs prior to installation?
I cut the pegs down a bit. Admittedly they are all likely not perfect. What kind of prep work is necessary?

I'd have to measure my toe out but it is not excessive.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RKeasler
Question on chassis tuning what is the first change to increase steering especially on power ?
make center spring a bit stiffer
Old 03-05-2018, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You need pretty good traction to run pegs.
The rear end should not be a spool unless you have a smooth track and crazy grip . You should also be running diff balls and pegs in the spur unless the grip is crazy so you can have some adjustability. You can go from lock to "normal" diff action this way.

I would also start by making sure the football pivot is 100% free. Run 1.5 to 2* toe out as well.
Rick Vessell likes this.

Last edited by robk; 03-05-2018 at 01:18 PM. Reason: craptastic spelling
Old 03-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

I cut the pegs down a bit. Admittedly they are all likely not perfect. What kind of prep work is necessary?

I'd have to measure my toe out but it is not excessive.
Caster makes the car go straight and helps it steer off the corner. Toe out will make the car wander while trying to travel in a straight line. I'm not a big fan of caster in scale race cars so the toe becomes very important. I like a net "0" toe when pressure is applied inward at the rear of both front tires so you cannot force toe out. That coupled with .5 to 1* of caster is all I would look for to start. This should at least make the car roll straight. If it will coast in a direct line but still wander or otherwise be directionally unstable on acceleration then look to the diff.

On the diff prep I too am looking for answers on how to prep the pegs since they seem to be more than the diff ball height. Somewhere on this forum I read about someone making a jig to cut the pegs to a specified length so they would work in conjunction with the balls as opposed to replacing them.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by freebird
The pegs are way stiff when you first run then for the 1-2 minutes. then one heated or warmed up your car stabilizes doesn't it. If so hold one wheel and lightly hit your throttle to warm the diff action. see if this helps you. I haven't run Pit tires in years now. I found I like the CRC premounts and have also been running the Gravity premounts.
i dont think warming pegs is needed
i do think warming certain tires might be needed to have enough grip to support pegs or spools

i needed to run a MASSIVE amount of laps w/ CRC pre-mounts to get my car "working" at Snowbirds. same car - different track (360v2) - CRC tires had the same issue, but my freshly mounted gravities did not (after the 1st scary run, all other runs yielded super fast runs).

Originally Posted by texastc
make center spring a bit stiffer
when doing this be careful... you car might start hopping down the straightaway (this happened to me at 2017 IIC .. )
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by hanulec
i dont think warming pegs is needed
i do think warming certain tires might be needed to have enough grip to support pegs or spools

i needed to run a MASSIVE amount of laps w/ CRC pre-mounts to get my car "working" at Snowbirds. same car - different track (360v2) - CRC tires had the same issue, but my freshly mounted gravities did not (after the 1st scary run, all other runs yielded super fast runs).

when doing this be careful... you car might start hopping down the straightaway (this happened to me at 2017 IIC .. )
What Gravity tires are you using on black carpet?

Edit: Never mind. I was thinking of the Ride tires.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Has anyone tried the Gravity premounts on gray carpet?

I'll be giving my personal car a shakedown run on Wednesday with them, but wanted to hear from some of you guys as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.