Understanding F1 Tuning: Letís break it down >

Understanding F1 Tuning: Letís break it down

Like Tree382Likes

Understanding F1 Tuning: Letís break it down

Old 04-03-2019, 03:21 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xevias View Post
Speaking of asphalt, I was testing Volante tires at our 1/8 scale track last week in 60* temps. I ran Blue/Purple and Green/Double Purple. Both sets basically acted the same.

I was loose braking for the turn after the sweeper, Loose coming out of slow corners, and loose on a high speed 45* turn. I've got a standard asphalt setup, but there is something weird about this track that likes a stiffer spring when the traction is low. So I increased my front spring from 1.2C to 1.8C (Ride springs) to keep the front from diving too much and pulling the rear wheel up. Marginal improvement. I'm going to test even stiffer springs later, but wanted to know how the side springs affect the front rolling.

Do stiffer side springs help prevent the front of the car rolling by using the rear pod as an "anchor", thus keeping the front from diving in too much?

Or, do I need softer side springs to allow the front to dive and keep the pod level? It seems weird to soften the side springs and oil to do this when every set up book says you need stiff springs on low traction asphalt.
It is necessary to fix you tires first. The only workable combination of Volante tires seems to be Blue/double purple and then figure out how to sauce them. I would try saucing the full rear only first.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:11 AM
Tech Regular

I have an question of what size spur is better for a carpet track? In the sense of if I can get the same ratio (say 2.9) with a 90t vs a 80t, which would be better? I would assume the 80t weighs less, but is harder on the motor, vs the 90t which weighs more, but is easier to rotate for the motor.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:12 AM
Tech Addict

I'd say it doesn't matter (if you don't look at friction and rotating mass) .
It only depends on the moment/force the motor needs to deliver. This load is affected by tire/track/car weight, and the final drive radio.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The weight of the two combined, spur and pinion, usually end up close to the same for the same fdr, since if you change spur teeth you have to change pinion teeth to remain the same

Basically somewhere around 90-93 works out best. I run 93T 99% of the time, 92 for the xray gear diff.

Also to a very small amount a smaller spur is less punchy
Old 04-09-2019, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GT CRUSING View Post
I have an question of what size spur is better for a carpet track? In the sense of if I can get the same ratio (say 2.9) with a 90t vs a 80t, which would be better? I would assume the 80t weighs less, but is harder on the motor, vs the 90t which weighs more, but is easier to rotate for the motor.
Selecting the gear size to position the motor forward or back would play a more significant role than the weight of the gears.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Selecting the gear size to position the motor forward or back would play a more significant role than the weight of the gears.

Exactly what I was going to say. To me, it seems the bigger spur will let the rear rotate a little better due to motor being more forward, more toward the axle seems to help keep the rear from lifting and gives more rear traction.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey folks

So dusting off some F1s after getting the V2 Exotek IFS on to a TRF102. I'm finding that under hard breaking, the rear end steps out. I don't really want to go any further down on braking rate and wondered if there's a way to tune that out a bit?
Old 05-20-2019, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba View Post
Hey folks

So dusting off some F1s after getting the V2 Exotek IFS on to a TRF102. I'm finding that under hard breaking, the rear end steps out. I don't really want to go any further down on braking rate and wondered if there's a way to tune that out a bit?
You could try less pod droop to help control weight shift to the front. But, if the rear wheels are locking, you may not see much benefit with that. Are you using drag brake? A moderate amount of drag brake before getting into push brake may help some with the rear locking - kind of like the difference between easing on the brakes to heavy braking vs. slamming on the brakes in a full size car before the advent of ABS.

Good Luck!
MikeR likes this.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

just curious if anyone is still running spool on black carpet...still dealing with understeering and currently about to go back to a diff about as tight as i can get it with a different spur and 1/8" diff balls
Old 05-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phatboislim View Post
just curious if anyone is still running spool on black carpet...still dealing with understeering and currently about to go back to a diff about as tight as i can get it with a different spur and 1/8" diff balls
I run a spool only on very high bite event level races. Other times i run the X-Ray gear diff with anywhere between 20 and 40k oils, pending traction level.
robk likes this.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
I run a spool only on very high bite event level races. Other times i run the X-Ray gear diff with anywhere between 20 and 40k oils, pending traction level.
I ran the spool at a few races with really high traction, but lately I like something with at least a little diff action if the traction is not sky high. I think you need something else beyond a spool, like a gear diff or peg diff, to cover all situations.
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
I've been running my X1 with a gear diff and 5K oil. It rotates well and doesn't seem to diff out at all.
old_dude likes this.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Before spending tons of money on the gear diffs, just try a ball diff built with Tamiya AW grease. You still have the adjustability and doesn't cost you a thing. Works just like a gear diff with high k fluid.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:09 PM
Tech Rookie

God of engineering formula one
Old 05-25-2019, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by skimo View Post
God of engineering formula one
???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.