Understanding F1 Tuning: Letís break it down

Like Tree428Likes

Understanding F1 Tuning: Letís break it down

Old 05-12-2018, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz View Post
Volante tyres are rubbish.
Granted my experience with them is only on carpet they the Carpet Soft Rears and Medium Soft Fronts were way slower the Pits 575/574 and CRC Premounts.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Tim Neja View Post
Your not saying what you're getting?? If you can--go to the Shimizu 571/572 combination.
They dont generate good rear traction On and Off-Power, the rear end is totally loose. I've already tried to harden the sidetubes, soften the side springs and center shock. Also harden the Front springs was not really usefull. I've used the Mon-tech rear wing on High Downforce position and the Montech Front wing without winglets. I've heard that the Shimizu 571/572 are only for track temperatures up to 30 degrees Celsius? Yesterday we had something about 45-50 degrees.
dman18t likes this.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:36 AM
Tech Addict

At my local track, the Ride R1 rears have been great over 30 degrees C track temp. I use them with Shimizu 573 medium fronts. I do not recommend the Ride GR rears. They wear fast and are not as stuck as the R1's.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:02 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Brinni View Post
They dont generate good rear traction On and Off-Power, the rear end is totally loose. I've already tried to harden the sidetubes, soften the side springs and center shock. Also harden the Front springs was not really usefull. I've used the Mon-tech rear wing on High Downforce position and the Montech Front wing without winglets. I've heard that the Shimizu 571/572 are only for track temperatures up to 30 degrees Celsius? Yesterday we had something about 45-50 degrees.
The temp is the problem. The 571/572 is the fastest combo I have ever tried, however on track temps up to 25C. The hotter it gets the faster the rears overheat to the point that its undrivable. At 45-50C the rears will never work.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:49 AM
Tech Initiate

What's the general consensus as to when to discard tyres? I seem to have lost a bit of traction, tried a new set and had more traction within two laps.. did I just answer my own question?? Haha
Tim Neja likes this.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:44 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

There is also Pit Shimizu 590 rear tires. Harder compound than the 572. I have very limited testing on them but in 90 degree ambient temp, the 572 were slightly faster. Forgot what track surface temp was.

They would probably work good in 100F+ ambient temp or an abrasive track surface.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I only run on black carpet. I have a very difficult time telling when a set of tires is shot. I basically keep 3 sets in the rotation. I have a very used set, a moderately used set and a new set. depending on how green the layout is I choose the best set. I mainly end up running the oldest set I have the car just seem the most consistant.

Jesse
Holmestead likes this.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:36 PM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Holmestead View Post
What's the general consensus as to when to discard tyres? I seem to have lost a bit of traction, tried a new set and had more traction within two laps.. did I just answer my own question?? Haha
My experience with the Ride GRs on asphalt - one set of fronts is enough to run 3 sets of rears. I through away the rears once they split apart - at the ring of death.The times deteriorate very slightly. It is important to look at the ride hight as the tires get smaller - the diameter can go down by 1mm and as the tire itself gets softer as there is less rubber left, it flexes more. Key is to have them properly sauced - it is not unusual with some additives (like Hudy) to oversauce.
Holmestead likes this.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sbd View Post
My experience with the Ride GRs on asphalt - one set of fronts is enough to run 3 sets of rears. I through away the rears once they split apart - at the ring of death.The times deteriorate very slightly. It is important to look at the ride hight as the tires get smaller - the diameter can go down by 1mm and as the tire itself gets softer as there is less rubber left, it flexes more. Key is to have them properly sauced - it is not unusual with some additives (like Hudy) to oversauce.
Can you please elaborate on what the ring of death is? Cheers!
Old 05-14-2018, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have never thrown any Pits away unless I tear the sidewall. I have Pits from 2011.
astgerma52sp and Holmestead like this.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Ring of Death is the ring that forms from the tire folding over on itself while cornering. It appears either on the inside or outside edge of the surface of the tire getting deeper and deeper until it finally breaks through to the foam insert. In my experience, this only happens on the rears.
Holmestead likes this.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Brinni View Post
I'm going crazy with these Volante Tires. I drive the SuperSoft Rear and Medium on a big Outdoor track and dont get a nice setup with it. Any idea with these Tires?
I was racing at the ETS round last weekend, and the Volante control tyres were going well for the F1 class on tarmac there.

The ETS control tyre for outdoor rounds is:
Front: Volante VT-VF1-FM
Rear: Volante VT-VF1-ARSS

I had run a practice set on a small UK track, and got good levels of grip. The same set did all another 7-8 runs over the weekend, and still gripped well. I can and will use them at another meeting.

My race set did 6 runs are are also in good shape.

What I did find was the wheel offset is pretty high. So narrowing the front end helped a lot.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:21 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

The ring appearing at the inner tire edge of the rears as they wear out. The below picture shows a tire which is almost done (can run probably another 10 min practice depending on the asphalt roughness and track temp)
Old 05-15-2018, 11:23 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MarkBurgess View Post
I was racing at the ETS round last weekend, and the Volante control tyres were going well for the F1 class on tarmac there.

The ETS control tyre for outdoor rounds is:
Front: Volante VT-VF1-FM
Rear: Volante VT-VF1-ARSS

I had run a practice set on a small UK track, and got good levels of grip. The same set did all another 7-8 runs over the weekend, and still gripped well. I can and will use them at another meeting.

My race set did 6 runs are are also in good shape.

What I did find was the wheel offset is pretty high. So narrowing the front end helped a lot.
Apart from narrowing the front end, have you done other significant setup changes compared to a setup for Ride GRs for example?
Old 05-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Volante tires

I have used Volante Ets tire compound, medium in front and super soft in rear. . No good result because i lost the rear during long corners with xray x1 car....
Someone have a good basic set up for this tires with 25/30 į Celsius on asphalt? I would like to understand these tires... On the same track with ride gr the car was quite good...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.