Understanding F1 Tuning: Letís break it down

Like Tree295Likes

Understanding F1 Tuning: Letís break it down

Old 03-25-2018, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sbd View Post
Shepherd is much cleaner design.
Why do you say that? The rear links are wide and down on the chassis--creates drag problems in the corners. Front end is basic-- no stiffener down the center of the chassis-- seems a fine car but don't see it as being better than the VBC. Don't see as it's worth the extra $$$.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:49 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tim Neja View Post
Why do you say that? The rear links are wide and down on the chassis--creates drag problems in the corners. Front end is basic-- no stiffener down the center of the chassis-- seems a fine car but don't see it as being better than the VBC. Don't see as it's worth the extra $$$.
The front end design of VBC is obsolete - has not been improve for the last 3 generations. I have the FX18 and while there are some good ideas the overall design is not streamlined. For example - how someone could suggest to have the front pivots for the side links fastened at the upper end just by the plastic body stand??? I know, acctually noone does it the suggested way, but just suggesting this is king of fishy.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The front end design of VBC is obsolete - has not been improve for the last 3 generations. I have the FX18 and while there are some good ideas the overall design is not streamlined. For example - how someone could suggest to have the front pivots for the side links fastened at the upper end just by the plastic body stand??? I know, acctually noone does it the suggested way, but just suggesting this is king of fishy.
I like my F1 chassis like I like my women, slim and not dragging their sides

In all seriousness, the side links are attached to the upper link to avoid dragging them on the carpet I assume. Roche does something similar with their side links on their F1 Evo. They don't attach it to the upper link but they do raise it with their unique system which allows a slimmer chassis. On black carpet, when cornering hard the sides seem to dig in more with my previous F1s (FX, FMX from VBC). I don't seem to have that issue with the new FX18. Just my 2 cents
hanulec and Tim Neja like this.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:13 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eevul View Post
I like my F1 chassis like I like my women, slim and not dragging their sides

In all seriousness, the side links are attached to the upper link to avoid dragging them on the carpet I assume. Roche does something similar with their side links on their F1 Evo. They don't attach it to the upper link but they do raise it with their unique system which allows a slimmer chassis. On black carpet, when cornering hard the sides seem to dig in more with my previous F1s (FX, FMX from VBC). I don't seem to have that issue with the new FX18. Just my 2 cents
Attaching the links from above is legitimate and welcome improvement. I have all my f1 cars like that. The fishy think is fastening the the link studs to the carbon frame with just the plastic body stands as a nut.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

The front end works great! Very easy caster and camber changes--don't see that "change" is necessarily improvement. As far as the link mount--yeah--we move our body posts to the battery hold down spot and then use an O ring to hold the batteries and that allows a solid bolt with loctite on the side link. A VERY simple upgrade.
The car works great--- and it's certainly priced right. I was able to pick up the kit for $220 shipped to my house. Good quality parts--the chassis is solid and braced well for flex. Great car. And Eevul's post is correct--the car is nice and narrow and has NO drag issues in the corners. Looking forward to really racing this baby!!
Old 03-26-2018, 02:26 PM
sbd
Tech Regular

The front end works great! Very easy caster and camber changes--don't see that "change" is necessarily improvement. As far as the link mount--yeah--we move our body posts to the battery hold down spot and then use an O ring to hold the batteries and that allows a solid bolt with loctite on the side link. A VERY simple upgrade.
The car works great--- and it's certainly priced right. I was able to pick up the kit for $220 shipped to my house. Good quality parts--the chassis is solid and braced well for flex. Great car. And Eevul's post is correct--the car is nice and narrow and has NO drag issues in the corners. Looking forward to really racing this baby!!
Again, I dont say it does not work. All my comments were answer to the question why I thing the Shepherd design is cleaner. That's all. I don't mean to bash anything...
eevul and Tim Neja like this.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Again, I dont say it does not work. All my comments were answer to the question why I thing the Shepherd design is cleaner. That's all. I don't mean to bash anything...
Well what I would like to know--is what makes the Shepard better?? You didn't mention anything about the design--only negative comments about the VBC. What do you LIKE about the design?
From the research I've done it would cost me an even $100 more to get one delivered. FWIW
Old 03-26-2018, 11:26 PM
sbd
Tech Regular

Well what I would like to know--is what makes the Shepard better?? You didn't mention anything about the design--only negative comments about the VBC. What do you LIKE about the design?
From the research I've done it would cost me an even $100 more to get one delivered. FWIW
The Shepherd is expensive - no discussion about it. Its front is much slicker/simpler and stronger than the VBC one. The rear bulkheads are more robust design. The VBC on other hand has very innovative pivot, and I like the servo mount which makes the car stronger in the right direction.
The plastics however are questionable quality and the upper front arms are not well done. I also dont like how the front is fastened to the plate - one bolt also holding the wing....

Last edited by sbd; 03-27-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

The Shepherd is expensive - no discussion about it. Its front is much slicker/simpler and stronger than the VBC one. The rear bulkheads are more robust design. The VBC on other hand has very innovative pivot, and I like the servo mount which makes the car stronger in the right direction.
The plastics however are questionable quality and the upper front arms are not well done. I also dont like how the front is fastened to the plate - one bolt also holding the wing....
The front end is a standard Tamiya style mount leaving you open to options if you don't like the VBC version. The wing only need one screw because it is fully captured by the rest of the front end mounting. That makes it easier to remove. CRC uses the same method.
Tim Neja likes this.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Again---instead of touting the advantages of your car--you bash the other's design. Doesn't seem like it's worth the extra money-and I've found the front end to be very reliable, easy to tune and works very well. I haven't broken anything other than a serpent front wing in 3 race days including a practice day for tuning. So I don't find any of the parts in the front end to be suspect as I've hit plenty of things while tuning and practicing. I like the way the car assembled and did not find the plastic parts to be a problem. SO -- to each his own. Enjoy your Shepard-- I'll enjoy my VBC.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:34 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

Again---instead of touting the advantages of your car--you bash the other's design. Doesn't seem like it's worth the extra money-and I've found the front end to be very reliable, easy to tune and works very well. I haven't broken anything other than a serpent front wing in 3 race days including a practice day for tuning. So I don't find any of the parts in the front end to be suspect as I've hit plenty of things while tuning and practicing. I like the way the car assembled and did not find the plastic parts to be a problem. SO -- to each his own. Enjoy your Shepard-- I'll enjoy my VBC.
Come on, I am not bashing anything. There is difference in expressing critical notes and bashing. You asked for explanation/comparison, I provided. BTW, as I said I have the VBC fx18 along with other kits. I have no interest to promote anything, I am just sharing my opinion and experience.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

How is pissing on each others shoes helping us understand the subject of this thread?
Serzoni, liljohn1064 and Acid_CZ like this.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

What would you like to add Mlee? I'm just happy to be racing again!
Old 03-27-2018, 04:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
How is pissing on each others shoes helping us understand the subject of this thread?
Lol..

I'm still waiting to hear more tuning questions.. I know I've expressed everything I know..
robk likes this.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Lol..

I'm still waiting to hear more tuning questions.. I know I've expressed everything I know..
I've just built an Associated F6 and have no idea where to start with preload adjustment on the side pod springs. Any tips?

I also had contradictory advice from two people regarding diff settings. One guy who dabbles with 1:12 pan cars said I should set my diff to slip a small amount, the other guy said it should never slip. Which way should I go?

I run outdoors asphalt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service