Carpet tyre structure >

Carpet tyre structure

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skiddins

Carpet tyre structure

Old 01-08-2018, 07:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Carpet tyre structure

Hi guys, so what are the compound and build differences between carpet and normal on road tyres?

I've seen some with tread patterns, and others that look the same as normal sorex tyres.

I looked at some RUSH tyres, and they state not for asphalt use, what makes this so?

Regards

Stu.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not aware of any treaded tyres that have the tread for improved performance on carpet. The tread is for looks and potentially for better grip on wet/dirty surfaces.

The only difference between carpet and asphalt slick tyres is the rubber compound. I am not aware of any tyres that have a unique carpet construction. Usually the pre-mounted carpet tyres will come with a different insert and/or wheel.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If they are pre-mounts a main difference may be in wheel stiffness, or the insert. Nothing really changes between the rubber compounds for carpet versus asphalt. Certain compounds will perform better in one environment versus the other.

As far as treads go, this is usually down to a class thing. For instance USGT uses a treaded tire, versus TC uses a slick tire. Check with your local club if there is a spec tire for the class you are looking to run, or a preferred tire and compound for the track.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stuartkeith View Post
Hi guys, so what are the compound and build differences between carpet and normal on road tyres?

I've seen some with tread patterns, and others that look the same as normal sorex tyres.

I looked at some RUSH tyres, and they state not for asphalt use, what makes this so?

Regards

Stu.
You'll probably find that the RUSH tyre combination you mention, will make them too soft for asphalt racing so they'll overheat.
Marcos.J likes this.