R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JeffofSpace
  • 2 Post By quertreiber

Old 01-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default 1/12 Pan Car tire choice

Hello. I'm starting out in the pan car scene. I'm a bit confused on what tires to get. There are so many options and brands. And the search function is either overwhelming or doesn't spit out what I'm looking for.
We are running on a newer CRC black carpet. Some guys are running the CRC Spec purple. But I'm on a budget. Is there an option for cheaper wheels? We have some Contact RC tires locally or RC Mart has Matrix wheels for cheap. What would be a good wheel to run on black carpet?
Thank you
quertreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Are spec tires mandatory at your track?
Old 01-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Officially they are. But I don't think it is being controlled.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

We are allowed whatever, but most use one or another manufacturer's spec tires. I like the JFT spec tires myself.

ETA: Since you race on the CRC black carpet, you may want to go with a spec tire, should you decide to race at bigger events; you already have most of your tuning done to the particular carpet of choice.
two shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
Tech Addict

If the track has a spec tire, you should use it. Even if they don't regularly inspect/enforce at club races, you don't want to be that guy who opens an ugly can of worms and puts the race director in a tough spot.

We use CRC purple stripes. I use one set per race day (3 heats + main). I start at 40.8mm then skim cut after each run.

You could easily get 2 full days out of a set by starting them larger and truing less often. At the other extreme, some folks use a new set every single run.

If this isn't practical, you might be able to buy other racer's take-off tires for real cheap if they're 1-2 runs old.

Unless a different tire has a significantly longer useful lifespan, I just don't think it's worth opening that can of worms at the track.
JeffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm assuming you are running 17.5 12th scale, which is the class I run (also on black carpet). I have not done extensive testing but of the tire compounds I have run, the purple strip spec tire works as well as anything. Also, it seems like on black carpet it is hard to tell the difference in tire compounds.

We don't have a tire rule but I have decided to standardize on the spec tire for my use. It just eliminates variables and simplifies things.

I like the CRC tire mostly because of the larger wheel size. I have recently been told that BSR mounts tires for CRC and if you buy BSR tires they are on the same wheel as CRC, except they are black. I like the black wheels so I am using BSR. If I have any trouble getting them I would not hesitate to run CRC.

Hope this helps.
Fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Yes, same experiences...crc, bsr, jft...all good, all basically “lilac” from my understanding. If you true at 43 rear and 42 front they’ll last at least two-three nights. Also, might be good for you to run those larger diameters as they will have more side to side grip.
Fastforward likes this.
JeffofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

id recommend the spec stripe tires, and I race on grey carpet. no traction problems, I start mine at 42/42.5 and get 3-4 race nights out of them. what jeffc is doing is overkill for club racing especially for a beginner.
Scirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Thank you so much everyone. Yes, this helps. I will go with the BSR because I like the look of the black rims. And if I can get 3-4 night out of them that would be ok with my budget.
JeffC and Fastforward like this.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #10
Tech Addict

If you cut to 42, you should get a solid 3 days out of the tires.

With that much front tire, you'll probably need to go a little light on the traction compound until they wear down. Also, glue the front sidewalls before cutting. You just want to avoid traction rolling.

Rotating side to side each run will help them wear evenly. Taking a light cut off (.1-.2mm) before each race day will keep them squared up and give you a little fresh rubber to run on.
JeffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
Tech Addict

At TQ Racing in California we are on the Black CRC Carpet and we all run the Ulti X-Hard Fronts and X-Med Rears. We also ran these on the Grey carpet with the same success. Nice thing is you can buy them in a 3 pack just a few $$ cheaper than others. The CRC Purple Strip is a good alternative but the offset on the rim is different and will make your car wider. We will usually get a practice day and a race day out of a set of tires starting them at 42 rear and 41 front
Email [email protected]
Rugspin is offline   Reply With Quote