Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Project Sakura D4 RWD Drift looking for some Tips, Tricks, and a few answers >

Project Sakura D4 RWD Drift looking for some Tips, Tricks, and a few answers

Like Tree2Likes

Project Sakura D4 RWD Drift looking for some Tips, Tricks, and a few answers

Old 02-09-2018, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Boy you've really done your testing and research. My setup is really different from yours on the knuckles. But by no means any knowledge. Just trying things. I'll try and get some pics similar to your shots to get a comparison. I've learned, of which I already knew, that the driving understanding of drifting was my biggest hurdle. I've only played in my garage and not with the guys yet.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Lots of research helped learning about why this and that is tuned but wasn't leading to a really proper set up. I mean sure kpi is good to tune scrub radious but what's that mean as far as caster camber toe.

Zero Ackerman was first tangible thing I learned and trying suggestions off YouTube was useless almost like they point in the wrong direction on purpose.

I started really making progress after catching the world RWD RC championship competition and studying the set up used. Mainly of the 21st and 2nd place cars but I gave a good look at them all. I noticed common traits shared by the best in the world then basically copied that set up onto my kit.

Night and Day

Not only is she drifting so much better she feels like a drift car should looks like a drift car while sliding.

Now a y drivable set up needs the lead wheel flat or close to flat. Pretty much all the folks I see have this but the champions run crazy dynamic toe on the trailing wheel. Its clear as Day. To do this you need kpi adjustibility caster & camber. When all tuned together the lead wheel is flat and trailing wheel has crazy dynamic camber.

Its epic

The front wheels roll perfect with angle and the grip switchover in transitions is fricken sweet.

All suggestions were to get the trailing wheel much more flat and this works but its slow and quirky where the Champion style is fluid and proper.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks for the tips. That really helps. I knew about the ackerman thing and I think am close to the getting the leading and trailing tire correct. I'll check again when I get home.