Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Project Sakura D4 RWD Drift looking for some Tips, Tricks, and a few answers >

Project Sakura D4 RWD Drift looking for some Tips, Tricks, and a few answers

Like Tree2Likes

Project Sakura D4 RWD Drift looking for some Tips, Tricks, and a few answers

Old 12-15-2017, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rskoncepts
The 180 is very popular. I'm still trying to figure out what body I want.

Your front end is different and probably better. The pieces I put on were to mostly reduce slop in the steering and increase the throw. And the motor mount is pretty much it. Oh and the pulley. I try to be practical versus blingy.
Yeah I see a lot of them but most of them standard bodies with no body kit. The 180GT kit was just too crazy for me to pass on lol

The BK edition has a few new parts but nothing you can't put on yours. The mono shock is cool but all in all difference is diff cap (yours has shock mount tower mount) mine has a cover and 2 pin slots for the upper arms. The arms, pins and alloy end brace

Problem with these upper arms is retarded caster that's not adjustable.

I was planning on modifying the YR upper arms to work on the pin instead of ball n cap
Old 12-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Yup didn't like my uppers arms either. Had to add the spacers that fit in the hole to firm that up.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

Yup didn't like my uppers arms either. Had to add the spacers that fit in the hole to firm that up.
It's not sloppy with the pin, but 10degrees castor is a lil much at almost full steering angle lol, from the looks of it the Yah Racing upper arms can reduce the castor to flatten out the tires at full steering angle, but they are for your style kit not mine so need a lil finegling

What electronics are you running?
Old 12-15-2017, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

That’s an old LRP esc (something I had in the junk pile) with no reverse and a Trinity 13.5. Savox (not a fan) servo is quick and relatively cheap. The gyro is like the Yokomo one. Same guts but metal case. I probably will change the esc to something cheap to reverse. The guys here like the Yokomo combo but I use what I have.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

That’s an old LRP esc (something I had in the junk pile) with no reverse and a Trinity 13.5. Savox (not a fan) servo is quick and relatively cheap. The gyro is like the Yokomo one. Same guts but metal case. I probably will change the esc to something cheap to reverse. The guys here like the Yokomo combo but I use what I have.
I see many running SV3 set ups but I wanted a ESC with some drift specific features so I went with Hacktronic Drift from Yeah Racing. Looks about as quality as an old EZRun from a few years back, nothing super but should work.

The motor that's coming is a Onisiki 10.5T 3800kv Drift motor. I might opt for a 13.5T also as I see it's a popular Drift spec.

Hacktronic Low Profile Servo is in shipping. I run high voltage Savox servos in my Savages, I got to admit they are the best servos I've run in those trucks, I burnt pretty much every other kind of servo in those trucks, but they require shit tons of tq I run LiPo and life in them.

Gyro, So far Spectrum AVC RX but we will see how that goes lol

Old 12-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Old 12-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

You'd want a sensored motor/esc combo. The SV3 is popular because of prices and performs well but not sensored. RWD doesn't like too much motor speed so most go with 13.5t. 10.5t is a bit much and turning the end point on a brushless down is not the best/consistent method to slow it down. Too much wheel speed and you only spin and not really accelerate.

Last edited by rskoncepts; 12-18-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Nice Savage. Like the boat style pipe. I'm a nitro guy at heart but got into electric for drag racing. I run a MAC pipe on my nitro promod car.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

You'd want a sensored motor/esc combo. The SV3 is popular because of prices and performs well but not sensored. RWD doesn't like too much motor speed so most go with 13.5t. 10.5t is a bit much and turning the end point on a brushless down is not the best/consistent method to slow it down. Too much wheel speed and you only spin and not really accelerate.
I wasn't going to run anything without a sensor, hate coggy electronics and thought the smoothness would be good.
I was figuring if 10.5T too fast I could gear it lower.

Nice Savage. Like the boat style pipe. I'm a nitro guy at heart but got into electric for drag racing. I run a MAC pipe on my nitro promod car.
Thanks. It's a ERCM custom made pipe, same style as most 2 stroke tuned pipes for dirtbikes or snow machines. Beast of a pipe, helps get the heavy ass truck over 50mph lol

Nitro Promod, tell me more
Old 12-18-2017, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

This is my Buddies kit. I built it for him using a bunch of hop ups, still wiring to do but we pretty much good to go on this kit. Still waiting for my motor and servo

Old 12-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry been tied up with stuff. I’ll get a pic up for you soon.

You and your buddy can get some synchronized action going. I’ll try to get a vid of our guys weekly session.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Sorry been tied up with stuff. I’ll get a pic up for you soon.

You and your buddy can get some synchronized action going. I’ll try to get a vid of our guys weekly session.
No worries, same here got life going on in the mean time.

Yeah he's actually the guy who pushed me to build a drift RC. I got a bunch of MT and custom trucks for this and that, and haven't been messing with them as much since building my full size project car (MK2 VR6T) I finished her mostly (never really finished) and stored her for winter.

Buddy waisted no time after I put her in storage for winter to convince me we should build a couple Drift RC. Didn't have to twist my arm much, I got a RC Bug and modding Bug so gives me something to mess with over winter while my Baby in storage.

We got a shop building a Drift track locally so hope it turns out good and we can get some tandem drifts together if I can get this drifting thing down lol
el salvador likes this.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Got my servo & motor finally

Got to wire the motor and set it all up. Looks like AVC will work for drifting but still have to test it on the track not the table lol

More activity after the Holliday's
Old 12-23-2017, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Looking good! Interested in seeing how well the AVC works.

That MK2 must be a rocket with all that power and not much weight.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Here’s my Promod. Been a while since last ran it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.