Old 11-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Yes please!!
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I wonder how many runs you can get out of them? I remember towards the end of foam tires with the parma 53s, one race night was it... I try to get 3 race nights out of current rubber tires, then they goto the practice bin.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by trilerian
I wonder how many runs you can get out of them? I remember towards the end of foam tires with the parma 53s, one race night was it... I try to get 3 race nights out of current rubber tires, then they goto the practice bin.
The testing that has been done at my local track with nitro foams (not these), it looks like they wear about a mm every 15 runs
Ggrant likes this.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Gets my vote !!
Antimullet likes this.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Ordering two sets. One for Grey carpet and one for some parking lot asphalt. Curious how they'll hold up...
Old 11-27-2017, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

So why do these tires exist? I'm not throwing rocks or anything just unclear on what the point is? What is the logic behind bringing back foam for TC - not saying there isn't logic - just honestly don't know why?
simple and benTC5 like this.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Just when we thought we were rid of foam tires for good in TC...
ottoman, benTC5 and skater-deez1 like this.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have nothing against foam tires; but do we really need to introduce another touring car class‽

Mod, 13.5, 17.5, 21.5, USGT, VTA... now how many of those will have rubber and foam variants?

Is the assumption that foam tires will replace rubber for some of those classes (presumably ROAR classes)? Or am I just missing something?
Old 11-27-2017, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeffC
I have nothing against foam tires; but do we really need to introduce another touring car class‽

Mod, 13.5, 17.5, 21.5, USGT, VTA... now how many of those will have rubber and foam variants?

Is the assumption that foam tires will replace rubber for some of those classes (presumably ROAR classes)? Or am I just missing something?
USA dude! There will be enough different classes when every pilot can bring a medal back home!

I've ran Serpent Natrix with foam, lola body and a solid electronic configuration (XR10 + LiHV 2s + HW V10 4.5T) and just to be clear, it is an adrenaline rush! But this car is designed to endure so much power (~1000W)... And I wouldn't use that as a racing category... And the budget is very high... You are going the wrong way my friends...
Old 11-27-2017, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian
Originally Posted by Chris Adams
The testing that has been done at my local track with nitro foams (not these), it looks like they wear about a mm every 15 runs
I had 4 runs and saw less than about 0.4-5mm of wear

Originally Posted by Airwave
USA dude! There will be enough different classes when every pilot can bring a medal back home!

Agreed, but since most don't run Mod anyway, should not effect the all the funsters wanting medals

I've ran Serpent Natrix with foam, lola body and a solid electronic configuration (XR10 + LiHV 2s + HW V10 4.5T) and just to be clear, it is an adrenaline rush! But this car is designed to endure so much power (~1000W)... And I wouldn't use that as a racing category... And the budget is very high... You are going the wrong way my friends...
Maybe wrong way for your track configurations, size and carpet. But after watching it, running it, comparing numerous factors, I think it has merit.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme
Maybe wrong way for your track configurations, size and carpet. But after watching it, running it, comparing numerous factors, I think it has merit.
Does it? The idea was proposed as you don't have to true or glue tires, which I think everyone is all for. But after watching everyone flip off the track in the main, obviously if it was competitive everyone would be cutting tires, and we are right back where we were 10 years ago.

Watching Paul and Keven rip around looks fun, but watching everyone else destroy themselves makes me think for the better of everyone going backwards in time is just going backwards
Old 11-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Back in time isn't always a bad thing.. we would all be on grey carpet and glue wouldn't be needed for anything
Rick Vessell and Antimullet like this.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I hated foams back in the day. All the different shore ratings and trueing down and one run tires that chuncked up. F that noise. Rubber was soooo much better once we figured out premounts.

But... IF (and I hope they do) they hold up to the hype and we can come up with a reasonable consensus about trueing down to the rim to keep from one run tires (this will be the hardest thing to figure out), then I think we have a winner on our hands. Simple one shore one size tire. That is actually pretty inexpensive.

Hope it works. All this sidewall glueing is a bit ridiculous.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I hated foams back in the day. All the different shore ratings and trueing down and one run tires that chuncked up. F that noise. Rubber was soooo much better once we figured out premounts.

But... IF (and I hope they do) they hold up to the hype and we can come up with a reasonable consensus about trueing down to the rim to keep from one run tires (this will be the hardest thing to figure out), then I think we have a winner on our hands. Simple one shore one size tire. That is actually pretty inexpensive.

Hope it works. All this sidewall glueing is a bit ridiculous.
I agree that putting glue on the sidewalls of a tire is ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as cutting down the diameter of a foam tire to make the car handle in certain conditions.

My preference would be to reduce the sidewall size of the rubber tire where the tire would act like a true radial tire on the highway or the racing pavement. At least, I believe the problem with current rubber tires is the height of the sidewall.

And maybe we can get the correct sidewall for the 1/12 scale rubber tires when they come on the scene. Sure to get flamed on this one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.