Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Gravity Foam spec tire > New Gravity Foam spec tire
Like Tree398Likes

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Old 12-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by imprsme View Post
I want to see if I understand.......

Touring car racing struggles to keep the number of racers that other forms of rc does, turn outs (at least at my local tracks) have fallen on their face if they even get anyone to race

And ppl want to introduce yet ANOTHER class which will turn into another 2-3 classes ( you know everyone needs a class)

So at a club race there are gonna be 10 classes for 16 entries.

Big races will have 15 classes with 15-20 entries in each one.

Sounds about right. Every one gets a participation trophy.

Is foam fun to run, yes.

But you guys that think it’s going to be “ just take them out of the box and race” are fooling yourself.

Guys are still gonna true them down , they are still gonna use sauce.

Are you gonna race the guy that’s “ran” his tires down to the rim from practicing 3 Times a week, with your brand new out the box tires??? Nope!

I’ll also say you will eventually get to having to glue sidewalls or truing them to the rim. Right now as it’s something new. No one is really pushing the envelope YET!

But wait until guys really start playing with set up and cars are changed to get the most out of the foams.

It’s racing someone, is going to try to find an advantage and push the limits. And you will be right back to square one but with more classes for less racers.
The Thing is I used to like Touring cars , I haven't raced TC since it went to rubber . This has me interested again.

Maybe it will boost inerest and there will be more ten 3 TC's per race
Antimullet likes this.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imprsme View Post
I want to see if I understand.......

Touring car racing struggles to keep the number of racers that other forms of rc does, turn outs (at least at my local tracks) have fallen on their face if they even get anyone to race

And ppl want to introduce yet ANOTHER class which will turn into another 2-3 classes ( you know everyone needs a class)

So at a club race there are gonna be 10 classes for 16 entries.

Big races will have 15 classes with 15-20 entries in each one.

Sounds about right. Every one gets a participation trophy.

Is foam fun to run, yes.

But you guys that think itís going to be ď just take them out of the box and raceĒ are fooling yourself.

Guys are still gonna true them down , they are still gonna use sauce.

Are you gonna race the guy thatís ďranĒ his tires down to the rim from practicing 3 Times a week, with your brand new out the box tires??? Nope!

Iíll also say you will eventually get to having to glue sidewalls or truing them to the rim. Right now as itís something new. No one is really pushing the envelope YET!

But wait until guys really start playing with set up and cars are changed to get the most out of the foams.

Itís racing someone, is going to try to find an advantage and push the limits. And you will be right back to square one but with more classes for less racers.
Youíre missing the point.

There is already too many classes. It started with the introduction of rubber tires.

Not about trophies either. Itís about trying to get more performance out of the cars for guys that donít want to stay in their happy place where they are always winning.

Everyone complained about 17.5 too fast which is a joke so then the classes are down to 21.5 and even 25.5 in some.

You keep pandering to the ďgeneral publicĒ on the internet and you never introduce anything as an alternative and everyone grows tired of it and leaves.

This is a discussion on the tires and how they may work not all the sniveling about oh my the classes are diluted. All the lemmings are jumping off the cliff.

Let them jump.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Ran then yesterday after the mains on the old Grey CRC carpet. Had to do some dremel work to get the rears to fit on my Awesomatix A800X.

Fast lap in the main on Sorex 28RK was a 8.0.

Fast lap with the foams only change being resetting the ride height since they are a bit shorter was a 7.9.

The foams were SO much fun and easier to drive fast. Ran about 45-50 laps so a little over 6 minutes. Will check how much they wore down tonight.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I'm curious how diameter will be managed from a race director perspective. If everyone is ok with truing the tires down to an optimum diameter then fine but if there is some sort of minimum diameter requirement, people will be pretty pissed that their tires become obsolete after 1 race day. Now if foam is only legal in Open Mod TC, this may bring back more mod guys as well as help middle of the pack guys feel more comfortable driving faster cars. Fast guys will always be fast so it's a wash as far as trophies go but if everyone else has more fun... Why not? Foam will not bring in new drivers so forget about that angle but it may help keep more mod drivers in mod and grow the class. More drivers in mod means that maybe they will be less inclined to run slower classes which does discourage new drivers. This could also encourage the quicker stock drivers to move up because they can go faster and feel more comfortable in their skills. Foam requires additional investment too...ie, Truers, etc. Things a more seasoned driver might be willing to add to their pit.
el salvador and miller tyme like this.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
I'm curious how diameter will be managed from a race director perspective. If everyone is ok with truing the tires down to an optimum diameter then fine but if there is some sort of minimum diameter requirement, people will be pretty pissed that their tires become obsolete after 1 race day. Now if foam is only legal in Open Mod TC, this may bring back more mod guys as well as help middle of the pack guys feel more comfortable driving faster cars. Fast guys will always be fast so it's a wash as far as trophies go but if everyone else has more fun... Why not? Foam will not bring in new drivers so forget about that angle but it may help keep more mod drivers in mod and grow the class. More drivers in mod means that maybe they will be less inclined to run slower classes which does discourage new drivers. This could also encourage the quicker stock drivers to move up because they can go faster and feel more comfortable in their skills. Foam requires additional investment too...ie, Truers, etc. Things a more seasoned driver might be willing to add to their pit.
At least at the big events... maximum sets allowed, true all you want, you get 2 or 3 sets for 4 Q's and a main.
chensleyrc1 likes this.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
At least at the big events... maximum sets allowed, true all you want, you get 2 or 3 sets for 4 Q's and a main.
Agreed but big events are always managed in such a way that tire usage is a compromise and somewhat equalized. Big events don't bring in new people nor do they keep our local tracks open. The key is how can we keep seasoned drivers interested while still attracting new talent to the local tracks. We don't need new classes. We don't necessarily need to resurrect old ones either. There have been top level classes in the past that died out for whatever reason but it seems to me that open classes could and should remain "open". If you want to run foam then go ahead. If you want to run rubber, fine... The masses will migrate to the best combination. Nobody is forced to conform due to a ruling. Some might think it's unfair but open means open. The only stipulations would be regarding weight, body conformity, and readily available power components ie motor and battery classification. (540 motors and 8.4 volt batteries) This way there isn't a "new/old" class it just an evolutionary class at the top. As the technology evolves so does the class. The fastest configuration dominates through evolution.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

No death by overmanagement. Run them to the rim like any proper foam tire.
A minimum is ludicrous.

Finagle the ride height minimum maybe but no tire minimums.
Lone Drifter likes this.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Oh and quicker stock drivers won’t move up they’ll keep sandbagging hence the complaints anytime some jerk like me mentions running mod.

I like the open tire as a way in to feel it out and in general until everyone
Sees how it goes.
GrandeGixxer and liljohn1064 like this.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Antimullet View Post
A minimum is ludicrous.

That's what I'd want... The way some folks were talking about this new tire is that you run them straight out of the package. Unfortunately full size is not likely the best performing diameter. Now we're back to how it was in the days past. Nothing has actually changed from then. So why is this "new" tire a subject for discussion? Is this new foam compound made of ground up magic unicorn nuts? Not likely...So nitro foams will be the same. By the way, $20 a set is not a great price. I get my nitro tires for less than $7.00 a pair. We don't need new foam tires to justify running foams when they already exist.
Once again... why all the chatter? Run foams again or don't run foams, that's really all this is about. Am I missing something? I don't want to sound negative here, I'd love to run foams again. I'm not like "rubber tires suck/foams rule" in my attitude towards this topic either. I suppose that if there is one compound by one supplier, it may be stable enough to garner another try. I suppose it's working for the Gravity USGT tires so what the heck...
Old 12-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Oh and quicker stock drivers wonít move up theyíll keep sandbagging hence the complaints anytime some jerk like me mentions running mod.

I like the open tire as a way in to feel it out and in general until everyone
Sees how it goes.
Sandbagging will always happen. There should be a class for them called Open Whining.

If mod foam sedan happens, it will bring back some of the old guys. If people get it out of their head that mod is a 4.5 motor, it might help the perception of what is intended by running a hard spec foam tire. I'm waiting for someone to figure this all out, slap in a 13.5 or 10.5 and proves the point by kicking absolutely everyone's ass.
YoDog and Antimullet like this.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

As for people saying the Tires should only be for Mod thats ridiculous, Right now I dont run anything faster then USGT and I would like to try stock foam TC again.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

A minimum is ludicrous.

all it will take is one guy truing them down, saucing and gluing to ruin it

I remember what it was like, and it was awesome handling, but it came at a big price.
YoDog likes this.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I don’t care one way or another. It’s interesting because a lot of people blame foam tires for the decline of tc back in the day. I’ll just run whatever class has a good following wether it be on foam or rubber. As you can guess since I run nitro on road, of course I already have a truer so that’s no big deal to me.
YoDog and Antimullet like this.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter View Post
As for people saying the Tires should only be for Mod thats ridiculous, Right now I dont run anything faster then USGT and I would like to try stock foam TC again.
Now you are splitting classes... Stock performs just fine on rubber tires. Mod is on the limit so foam tires make sense.
Stock is highly regulated and foams will be very hard to regulate from many perspectives. Sure it would be easier to drive and I'll bet a lot of fun but it's stock.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If these tires are only 20$ a set why are 1/12 tires so dang expensive

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service