R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree166Likes

Old 11-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #61
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I raced a little foam sedan back in the day. Foams will always chunk unless they're trued down to almost nothing.

Not sure why the USA is so obsessed with massive amounts of traction. Black carpet and now people want foam. Some of the best drivers in the world are in Europe and Asia. Most of their indoor tracks are med to med high grip.
Essnowyt and skater-deez1 like this.
malkiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #62
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What makes anyone think that foams won't need to be glued? We glue 1/12 tires. What makes anyone think properly trued tires won't be fastest on their first run? Even if gluing and fresh cuts only provide a minimal advantage, at some level it will be worth doing.

Like I said earlier, I have no gripes with foam itself. But other than increasing corner speed for the whole class, I don't see what this will change. The fast guys will still be up front and plebs like me will still be in the middle.

I really don't care if cars are on rubber or foam. I'm just fearful of splitting the fields even thinner. I plan to pick up a touring car after the holidays and joining whatever the largest class is locally. Until then, I'll just keep running 1/12 and watching what happens here.
JeffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #63
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I ordered a set. Iíve got basically zero experience with foam tires, and probably not great surfaces for them. But figured give them a shot.
Im sure Windy City will get a supply of them Ill get a set too and experiment with them.
Billy Kelly likes this.
If HPI VTA Tires are Outlawed , Only Outlaws Will Have Them :)
Lone Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
What makes anyone think that foams won't need to be glued? We glue 1/12 tires. What makes anyone think properly trued tires won't be fastest on their first run? Even if gluing and fresh cuts only provide a minimal advantage, at some level it will be worth doing.

Like I said earlier, I have no gripes with foam itself. But other than increasing corner speed for the whole class, I don't see what this will change. The fast guys will still be up front and plebs like me will still be in the middle.

I really don't care if cars are on rubber or foam. I'm just fearful of splitting the fields even thinner. I plan to pick up a touring car after the holidays and joining whatever the largest class is locally. Until then, I'll just keep running 1/12 and watching what happens here.
Even if everything you said comes true. It is still easier to drive a foam car. Also, rubber tires are best when ran once, new is always faster. That is why we limit sets at races. We can do the same thing with tc foams that we do in 12th, limit sets.
carkillaii likes this.
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #65
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I myself miss running foam TC, but think we should stay with what the rest of the RC community is doing around the world. I like running rubber tire because it is more challenging and you have to work for the set-up, when I want easy I run 12th.

Patrick
XCELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:32 PM   #66
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is an RC legend you should know:

Some say that as the scourge of rubber tire racing appeared to secure victory, a certain Xray T2 2008 that was used to win many national races was not scrapped, not pillaged for parts or electronics, but in still running condition was simply put in a box labeled "In Case of Emergency" and set on a shelf out of sight in a certain hobby shop in hopes that it would survive this dark age. Some say waits there to this day, others say that it has already awoken, and that the Second Age of Foam Touring may soon be upon us.

'Stand by the grey carpet when the rush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Race Day will shine upon it.'
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:34 PM   #67
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I would just look on ebay for FK04's. Should be pretty cheap now.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:26 PM   #68
Tech Regular

Will there be a return of the JRXS Type R? I think that is another just in case car. But parts is the problem.
Facebook: CARCAR
MaxRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:57 AM   #69
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
So basically people are complaining about glueing the side and the traction rolls... So we are going for low-profile foam tyres... Why can't the sauce just be forbidden? Or limited to light-effect ones?

CRC carpet should be perfect for that...
Because that would make the cars even harder to control. For us seasoned racers, that is not an issue, we all are on the same ice rink, lol. For a new racer, the lack of traction would increase breakage and discourage them. Seen it happen already, even this year. New guy shows up, car sliding all over and into walls, guy breaks car and never comes back.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
Old 11-30-2017, 03:17 AM   #70
Tech Master

You get far more damage with foams than you do with rubber tc. The corner speed is much higher and people plough into corners causing carnage. With Rubber you actually need to slow down to maintain grip.

Foam TC was fun back in the day, it is less skillful than rubber racing so it is easier for beginners, I can see that part of it. But in reality, beginners should be using slow cars with 21.5 or silver cans and just learning the throttle control that rubber requires.
skater-deez1 likes this.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:16 AM   #71
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
You get far more damage with foams than you do with rubber tc. The corner speed is much higher and people plough into corners causing carnage. With Rubber you actually need to slow down to maintain grip.

Foam TC was fun back in the day, it is less skillful than rubber racing so it is easier for beginners, I can see that part of it. But in reality, beginners should be using slow cars with 21.5 or silver cans and just learning the throttle control that rubber requires.
But getting the new racer to stick with breaking the car until they can drive a rubber car is almost impossible. 1 out of every 10 people I see buy TC's stay longer than 30 days.
I personally have the talent and knowledge to race TC rubber but choose not to, due to the hassle of gluing the sidewall with precision and have the chassis, upper decks and bulkheads all loose and flexing. That is the reason a rubber car is more violent when it traction rolls as well, the chassis "springs" back into shape when rolled.
From my track retail records, my parts sales jumped 38% when we switched from foam to rubber. Tells me more broken cars. Also, my weekly racers declined.
miller tyme and Antimullet like this.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:28 AM   #72
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Ok so what I'm reading is " make it easier" for people.....ridiculous. Want easy? Play video games, this shouldn't be participation trophies OR create enough classes for everyone to win.
GrandeGixxer and miller tyme like this.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater-deez1 View Post
Ok so what I'm reading is " make it easier" for people.....ridiculous. Want easy? Play video games, this shouldn't be participation trophies OR create enough classes for everyone to win.
We are trying to attract new racers, not run them off. This attitude is what runs them off.

Same people who win now, won before with foam and would do so again. Every argument you can come up with, also fits rubber TC's. Everyone went to rubber because they wanted "easy". No truing of tires, no tracking rollout etc. Then they complained that $40 a set of rubber tires for every qualifier and main was driving people out of TC, so they limited sets that could be used. Now they are complaining about the precise gluing needed just to drive a lap.

Back when we ran foam, there was only 3 classes of TC. Now that we have rubber tired TC's we have 5. Foam tires have nothing to do with the creation of extra classes.
miller tyme, Antimullet and Ggrant like this.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:46 AM   #74
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You're exaggerating with the driving on ice comment. Rubber tire racing on black carpet is on the extreme side of traction. Most of the new racers tend to struggle with traction rolling rather than sliding around.

Regarding the first run being the fastest on rubber tires .... That is outside. On indoor carpet there might be a slight advantage. Most of the time there are no advantages to running a new set every qual.
malkiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #75
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkiy View Post
Regarding the first run being the fastest on rubber tires .... That is outside. On indoor carpet there might be a slight advantage. Most of the time there are no advantages to running a new set every qual.
most of the fastest TC guys I talked to at the Champs would disagree with that statement, except perhaps to say 1 run to break in and 2nd is faster on some batches. after that they drop 2 tenths till till the plateau at slower pace till completely toast

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote