R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   New Gravity Foam spec tire (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1003782-new-gravity-foam-spec-tire.html)

Antimullet 11-28-2017 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Skiddins (Post 15089483)
Don't you run 17.5?

Yea because it’s a choice of 17.5 or running nothing.

No one will run mod with me at my local track.

Tried to get it going but the mob sheep mentality rules.

And there’s a reason why 1/12 is the longest running class in onroad.
It’s sounds like F-O-A-M.

Not saying I’m not open to new things but until you can find the grip levels and weight benefits of foam in a rubber tire I’d prefer foam.

Rick Hohwart 11-28-2017 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars (Post 15089166)
you have been on here since 2001 maybe not involved with aspects of TC racing. but TC indoors was foam until the whiners set in around 2005/6 to get rubber added indoors carpet at first or second IIC and another indoor race, believe it was a Reedy type race

rubber tires take truing out of the equation, people don't see tires wear down. so it is assumed they are cheaper and last longer.

The first TC World Cup (exhibition) held at the IFMAR 1/12 and 1/10 pan car Worlds in 1998 was raced indoor on carpet with rubber tires.

Originally Posted by geeunit1014 (Post 15089009)
Does it? The idea was proposed as you don't have to true or glue tires, which I think everyone is all for. But after watching everyone flip off the track in the main, obviously if it was competitive everyone would be cutting tires, and we are right back where we were 10 years ago.

Watching Paul and Keven rip around looks fun, but watching everyone else destroy themselves makes me think for the better of everyone going backwards in time is just going backwards

The concept is good IF everyone plays along - no gluing or truing, limiting sets, etc.. But I think there are too many foam diehards that want things to be like they were in the past and they will be the first to true, glue, modify, use other compounds, etc.

Rick Hohwart 11-28-2017 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 (Post 15089335)
...As for the cars flipping off the track, yeah, I didn't see any rubber tire cars doing the same thing,:rolleyes:.

Foam is supposed to prevent this or at least that is one of the arguments for it. The guys could cut them down and/or glue the sidewalls but then you are back to where we are with rubber AND going much faster (Lemieux TQ +2 laps over rubber TQ). And I can't remember anyone ever complaining that Modified is not fast enough.

GrandeGixxer 11-28-2017 11:01 AM

Nitro runs foam tires because we run much longer. You wouldn’t have any tire left after 15-20 minutes. Plus the cars are heavier so they are that much harder on tires.

fast-ho-cars 11-28-2017 11:22 AM

i started TC near end of 2001, and ran it thru 2007, in AZ local HT allowed foam or rubber mixed outdoors,few years later indoor track Comp hobbies they ran foam. i remember the rubber tire push starting in 2005...and starting up in 2006. i moved to midwest and it was starting there at numerous indoor tracks, resulted in three classes becoming six. i fought rubber indoor then cause it split classes too much.

it was mostly sold as a panacea, cheaper less wear, lower costs, not having to go thru massive set-up changes as tires wear. not having to have a set of exact cut foams for each heat, closer racing, no more secret compounds, at larger races spec/rubber/handout tires would but everyone on even playing field. racers see foams wear, and rubber tires less...but that does not mean rubber tires are optimum. there is a post somewhere also where someone stated years back a insanely small measurement sweet spot of rubber tires for traction. these days even with rubber tires most racers are jigging up cars every run, so that did not change dropping foam

rubber handout tires are mandatory at some events/tracks, but not all. many non-pro racers are not fully aware of super sets and custom compounds that they can not obtain or afford so for them rubber is cheaper still holds true vs foam. that being said, same thing can happen with foam tires, spec foams is actually saving 1/12th scale right now

Rick remember this
We later learned that others were using new tires in every round, and in the low traction conditions, new tires were faster over the course of a 5 minute run. This slight mistake cost us dearly but we are confident that the car will win rubber races in the near future.
R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC5

nothing has changed in 11 years, even EFRA is changing rules "European Championship touring car drivers can use one new set of handout tires per each A final (page 17)" even at local races some use new sets for mains, and the extreme ones, new set every qual on minor events

all that being stated, rehashed....i'm not pro foam or go back to foam advocate. i currently run VTA. if i went back into TC, i would not want to run foams. also tire truers with there now being so few due to less demand and many other classes now rubber, are now rather cost prohibitive

DesertRat 11-28-2017 11:55 AM

I think that foam tire TC could be run as an exhibition class at a big event. Allow ten entries, one qualifier, and a race. It would only slow down your event by 15 minutes and who knows, it could even be fun.

DavidNERODease 11-28-2017 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease (Post 15088867)
So why do these tires exist? I'm not throwing rocks or anything just unclear on what the point is? What is the logic behind bringing back foam for TC - not saying there isn't logic - just honestly don't know why?

I'll answer my own question. There is no logical justification other than TC foams are back because racers get bored and want to try something new... it's pretty much the reason for everything such as all the classes we have and the resurgence of different classes from time to time. What's old is new again and again and again.

trilerian 11-28-2017 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease (Post 15089793)
I'll answer my own question. There is no logical justification other than TC foams are back because racers get bored and want to try something new... it's pretty much the reason for everything such as all the classes we have and the resurgence of different classes from time to time. What's old is new again and again and again.

It isn't just change... I was a faster and more consistent driver with foam tires. I could run the same laptimes as the fastest guys at my track (was one of them). Now... I am nowhere near as consistent, and my driving style brings slower laps. It is easier to overdrive a rubber tire, and laptimes show it. However, not having to true tires all the time, and no setup changes due to tire diameter is great. But gluing the sidewalls of rubber tires right now is just silly. Having to buy discs to get the right diameter and sanders to spin the tire for you.

Personally, I did not want to switch to rubber tires, and when it happened I stopped racing for quite awhile.

Chris Adams 11-28-2017 01:34 PM

Im really more interested in seeing how these perform outside on the asphalt.

RobS 11-28-2017 01:46 PM

As racers, we will always find a way to complicate things more then first intended.

DesertRat 11-28-2017 01:51 PM

Wow

Holy shit, I just checked the front page of this thread for the first time to find out that these tires are REAL, not imaginary...

*looks at Losi Type R rolling chassis hanging on the wall*

...I had hoped this day would come, but I never believed it. Sign my ass up, I have the perfect car already.

TeamThibault 11-28-2017 03:21 PM

Why did 1/10pan cars go to rubber? Here spend more money.

GrandeGixxer 11-28-2017 03:28 PM

What shore are they? It doesn’t say anywhere that I’ve seen?

LOW ET 11-28-2017 03:29 PM

37 front, 40 rear

theproffesor 11-28-2017 03:56 PM

That’s what I thought was part of the point of these new foams is that shore rating didn’t matter. They were a spec foam so who cares. For this to work, these tires have to be it. Allowing “open foam” would be a huge mistake