New Gravity Foam spec tire >

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Like Tree402Likes

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter View Post
Well , I'm not sure but i think Onroad Oval still uses foam, but I do miss the simple classes like 200mm F103, Spec foam pancars, Stock1/10 foam pancars, legends. Well we know WGT is just rubber 1/10 pancar , F1 switched to rubber and is now way more expensive. Spec classes have thier time and then evaporate away .

As Far as motors go the 21.5 of today is as fast or faster then the 17.5 of 5 years ago. ( at least on onroad, 21.5 offroad would be moronic)
Right, that is my point. All those classes went away and it had nothing to do with the introduction of rubber tires. I'm not going to get into an argument of which is better since that is personal preference but the notion that tires alone are the determining factor on most of these classes is IMO absurd. Anecdotal but foam F1 was non-existent in this region. Rubber F1 tried and failed when they specified a trash tire (Pardus), rubber F1 is now doing great running decent rubber. WGT died locally long before CRC came out with a rubber tire.

Rubber tires don't kill classes. Trying to appeal to everybody kills classes. The person or people that run USGT figured this out long ago. I wish they had a TC program. I think they would kill it.
robk likes this.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Anecdotal but foam F1 was non-existent in this region. Rubber F1 tried and failed when they specified a trash tire (Pardus), rubber F1 is now doing great running decent rubber. WGT died locally long before CRC came out with a rubber tire.
This is beyond spot on. WGT never existed here on foams. Pardus turned a lot of people off to F1. Trying the Pit/TCS/CRC tires made a lot of guys go from hating to loving F1

Rubber tires don't kill classes. Trying to appeal to everybody kills classes. The person or people that run USGT figured this out long ago. I wish they had a TC program. I think they would kill it.
This will never happen.
Chaz955i and DirkW like this.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

I agree that there are too many TC classes ,( 25.5, 21.5, 17.5. 13.5 & Mod) I think most of these are regional I hear that its usually 25.5 or 21.5 not both( we have VTA /GT). The two that I see run is 17.5 nearly dead,. and mod not too often.
Except for Rubber F1 and 12th scale , all Pancar/ foam classes are DEAD here.

I really dont think that if some people somwhere want to race a TC foam class they should be able to.
Chaz955i likes this.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I'm having a hard time with this. If the majority of your racers were ready to quit rather than run rubber why would you even switch to rubber in the first place and when entries started to dry up why not offer a foam class or switch back? I don't mean this to be harsh but based on what you've written this sounds more like a market miscalculation than an issue of tire composition. It is not as if your area is unique in having classes go cold.

Also, I do appreciate the thankless work that you did and others do to give people places to race. This isn't a money maker and anyone that even tries deserves a thank you.
Most of my racers treated club racing as practice for events, so they ran rubber because that is what the races they traveled to ran. They did not see the benefit of running foam locally when that is the only place they can run them. When the traveling racers stopped running foam, my local "hobby" racer did as well, they like to run with the "fast" guys. Like I said earlier, no matter how much we don't like it, what happens at races transfers to the local scene quickly.
Also, i appreciate the thanks. I was able to keep my doors open for about 4 years until I bled too much of me and my partners money and time. The reason I tried was due to my love for this hobby and there was nothing for on-road or oval, indoors locally at the time.
GrandeGixxer and Chaz955i like this.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

is not that complicated , if 5 guys show up to the club track and want to run foam's , then make a class,and if no one shows up that want to run foams ?wow wait a minute here is the complicated answer "foam doesn't run"

if a bui event wants a foam class put it on the sign up sheet as a class and wait and see.

i agree there are to many classes , stream line them to 25.5 (beginners not for sandbagging trophy chasers) 17.5 pro stock and Mod(foam or rubber)
Old 01-10-2018, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
Most of my racers treated club racing as practice for events, so they ran rubber because that is what the races they traveled to ran. They did not see the benefit of running foam locally when that is the only place they can run them. When the traveling racers stopped running foam, my local "hobby" racer did as well, they like to run with the "fast" guys. Like I said earlier, no matter how much we don't like it, what happens at races transfers to the local scene quickly.
Also, i appreciate the thanks. I was able to keep my doors open for about 4 years until I bled too much of me and my partners money and time. The reason I tried was due to my love for this hobby and there was nothing for on-road or oval, indoors locally at the time.
Thanks, that does give context and makes sense.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
is not that complicated , if 5 guys show up to the club track and want to run foam's , then make a class,and if no one shows up that want to run foams ?wow wait a minute here is the complicated answer "foam doesn't run"

if a bui event wants a foam class put it on the sign up sheet as a class and wait and see.

i agree there are to many classes , stream line them to 25.5 (beginners not for sandbagging trophy chasers) 17.5 pro stock and Mod(foam or rubber)
I agree with almost everything you said there BUT Tc25.5 is for Beginners and not for sandbagging trophy chasers , is a little harsh.
There are alot of people who don't want to run 17,5 because it may be too fast for them.
Like Me my cars are old ,and if I'm 1 1/2 seconds off the pace I'd be in the way,
We have people at our track where 25.5 is fast for them and they have been racing for years .
Old 01-10-2018, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter View Post
I agree with almost everything you said there BUT Tc25.5 is for Beginners and not for sandbagging trophy chasers , is a little harsh.
no is not when you have guys that should be racing mod and they sign up to run 25.5 and they put other racers 8-10 laps down and are clearly 2-3 seconds faster per lap , im sorry if i hurt your feelings but that sanbagging

now dont get me wrong if you show up to a track and everyone is racing 25.5 and nothing else well so be it you run what you can.
skater-deez1 likes this.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Anything below Mod doesn't need foams.
If someone is running in a stock class, 17.5, 25.5, whatever, you don't have enough power to justify wanting a lot more traction.
Those classes are a boring procession as it is, how is adding more traction going to improve the racing? It's just going to add complexity.
GrandeGixxer, Bar and xevias like this.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Anything below Mod doesn't need foams.
If someone is running in a stock class, 17.5, 25.5, whatever, you don't have enough power to justify wanting a lot more traction.
Those classes are a boring procession as it is, how is adding more traction going to improve the racing? It's just going to add complexity.
This was my feeling as well till we tried it in 17.5 expert. It wasn't so much the extra traction that won me over because on the rug, the rubber tire class was just as fast. The benefit I saw was that I had to do a lot less maintenance on my car between rounds and was able to concentrate more on improving my lines vs fighting the grip levels. As a matter of fact, I forgot to sauce before one of my qualifiers and saw almost no difference in lap times but I did improve my qualifying time because my driving improved. I was running 3 classes that day and it was rather enjoyable since I spent less time chasing the grip and more time actually driving. The only change I made to my setup was raising the rear roll center slightly and I was good to go. By the way... the other 2 classes I ran were foam tire classes as well. (1/12 stock and Pro10 stock)
I would still agree with you that the cars with less power don't really benefit from the extra grip but the driver definitely benefits from the consistency of grip. I ran the same tires for both days this past weekend and saw very little wear. The only thing I did to compensate was swap right and left to balance what little wear there was and to move the slightly chunked rear tire to the less loaded side. Yes... I did chunk a tire in the last qualifier due to a total brain fart but saw no performance drop in the main. It was actually my best run of the weekend by far. Started 9th in the A, had a bad start and still finished 4th. I give the Gravity Foams a big thumbs up!
Antimullet and Lone Drifter like this.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
This was my feeling as well till we tried it in 17.5 expert. It wasn't so much the extra traction that won me over because on the rug, the rubber tire class was just as fast. The benefit I saw was that I had to do a lot less maintenance on my car between rounds and was able to concentrate more on improving my lines vs fighting the grip levels. As a matter of fact, I forgot to sauce before one of my qualifiers and saw almost no difference in lap times but I did improve my qualifying time because my driving improved. I was running 3 classes that day and it was rather enjoyable since I spent less time chasing the grip and more time actually driving. The only change I made to my setup was raising the rear roll center slightly and I was good to go. By the way... the other 2 classes I ran were foam tire classes as well. (1/12 stock and Pro10 stock)
I would still agree with you that the cars with less power don't really benefit from the extra grip but the driver definitely benefits from the consistency of grip. I ran the same tires for both days this past weekend and saw very little wear. The only thing I did to compensate was swap right and left to balance what little wear there was and to move the slightly chunked rear tire to the less loaded side. Yes... I did chunk a tire in the last qualifier due to a total brain fart but saw no performance drop in the main. It was actually my best run of the weekend by far. Started 9th in the A, had a bad start and still finished 4th. I give the Gravity Foams a big thumbs up!
Well , The foam tires wider range of traction and a more contact with the track. They have more traction overall . It lets you concentrate more on driving a good line then worring about grip.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
....The benefit I saw was that I had to do a lot less maintenance on my car between rounds and was able to concentrate more on improving my lines vs fighting the grip levels....
What changes would you normally have made when running rubbers that you didn't when running foams?
At club level (when there isn't enough time to do anything meaningful) I can get away without touching my car at all, all evening, just charging lipo's and saucing tyres.
skater-deez1 likes this.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
What changes would you normally have made when running rubbers that you didn't when running foams?
At club level (when there isn't enough time to do anything meaningful) I can get away without touching my car at all, all evening, just charging lipo's and saucing tyres.
In this particular case, the race was over the weekend and went from track opening @ 7am to around 6pm. Although the track was indoor carpet, the grip did change quite a bit from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon. The track is temporary and doesn't get setup more that twice a month. Normally I would have gone through at least 1 set of tires per day maybe more if I were experimenting with different temp ranges. As the grip increased, so does the tendency to traction roll but I actually went the opposite direction with my setup by raising the rear roll center to help the car turn and change direction quicker. I wasn't too worried about traction rolling with the foams so it made sense. I can see your point if the track was permanent or the race program duration was a single evening. If my car worked pretty good on rubber from the start or perhaps the track was expected to come to my setup, I too wouldn't see much maintenance either. I usually race at several locations and if I'm lucky, I get to race twice a month these days. This makes it very difficult to get up to speed quickly when competing against guys that race every week or multiple times per week. The foams did help in this respect. I'm not saying that everyone needs to switch to foam, I am saying that there are benefits and I have experienced it first hand. No speculation on my part. Your track can do exactly what we did and run the class, gather feedback and decide if they want to do it again. I'll bet 9 times out of 10, they will... I know I will.
chensleyrc1 and Antimullet like this.

Last edited by YoDog; 01-12-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just had the opportunity to test the foam tires on asphalt yesterday in mod at ( N Control rc track) where we currently use sorex36 tires I had extremely high hopes about the foam tires but they were significantly slower around A half a second per lap then the rubber tires not to mention added a few strange handling characteristics that made the lap times very inconsistent and yes for the people that are going to ask the questions about track conditions the track was almost 90° cleaned and prepped very well it was a perfect day to test we even tried out a brand new set of rush tires as well that were slightly faster than the foam tires but still not as good as used sorex36’s. I’m not here to pump up or knock down any specific brand of tire just giving my Feedback of yesterday’s test in my opinion The foam tires would be a bad choice for us at our track as it adds quite a few new degrees of difficulty especially for the more novice drivers with almost 0 benefits, and yes and a few spots on the track they might have the illusion of more grip But had even more downfalls then they had benefits
skater-deez1 likes this.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Larrysraceprep View Post
I just had the opportunity to test the foam tires on asphalt yesterday in mod at ( N Control rc track) where we currently use sorex36 tires I had extremely high hopes about the foam tires but they were significantly slower around A half a second per lap then the rubber tires not to mention added a few strange handling characteristics that made the lap times very inconsistent and yes for the people that are going to ask the questions about track conditions the track was almost 90° cleaned and prepped very well it was a perfect day to test we even tried out a brand new set of rush tires as well that were slightly faster than the foam tires but still not as good as used sorex36’s. I’m not here to pump up or knock down any specific brand of tire just giving my Feedback of yesterday’s test in my opinion The foam tires would be a bad choice for us at our track as it adds quite a few new degrees of difficulty especially for the more novice drivers with almost 0 benefits, and yes and a few spots on the track they might have the illusion of more grip But had even more downfalls then they had benefits
Do you guys use sugar based traction or VHT? Just wondering...
I kinda figured that these tires may be more of a carpet thing than pavement but maybe it all depends on the prep and sauce used. IDK

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.