Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Gravity Foam spec tire >

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Like Tree402Likes

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Old 01-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Eddie_E;15120820]Nope, you got me wrong. I have a lot of love for club racing and I often don't have the money to travel myself anymore. When I do , I'm in the F or G main.

I'm irritated by people trying to hijack a national racing class based on what they practice with in little barn in a corn field. Having watched rubber TC get split into 4 TC classes by motor so everyone gets a trophy has been hard to watch.

If you can't spend $100 on a 17.5 motor, how can you afford a hotel hundreds of miles away. $150 motors are a choice, not a requirement.

If running that special 21.5 motor you just bought is the issue, you can run it. Just check off the box that says USGT and they will will give you a new set of USGT tires for free with your entry. So now your net loss is $25 for a body.

Foam Mod TC is probably the first legitimate reason to add a TC class in 15 years and guys seem to be pushing back based on too many rubber tire TC classes. I'm only pointing out an obvious solution that might have other good side effects. How many times has somebody wished that the sponsored drivers had another place to focus, rather than taking trophy's from regular guys in USGT?

Is it perfect for me? Not 100% perfect as I would rather see a 40 durometer Purple foam with a 45 durometer outside ring on the front, outer 6 mm.
It's not about me though and others seem to like the tires in the OP. Just my opinion based on my results racing 13.5 foam TC in 2004~2005.

Let's face it, every guy on RC Tech has an idea for a special class just for themselves. Mine is foam tire WGT with a 9.5 motor. I'm not going to ask for my class to be created by breaking up a national class. My next trip to the track I will race USGT using the spec items required by national rules.[/QUOTE

Iíll take ya up on the 9.5 WGT class .

However, the snowflakes are already triggered in these parts and obviously on this thread. So good luck!!!
Eddie_E likes this.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Civility

Jeez, some of the recent posts on this thread are getting downright vicious. Seems like some of the sedan guys play just as rough with their keyboards as they do with their transmitters. Makes me glad to stick with my 1/12th scale addiction. Even when we discuss (or argue about) our tire and motor rules, as compared to the tone of this thread, our online discussions seem downright gentlemanly.
robk and Rick Vessell like this.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Lol Perry... I just read to see what Aaron says next
Old 01-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
Jeez, some of the recent posts on this thread are getting downright vicious. Seems like some of the sedan guys play just as rough with their keyboards as they do with their transmitters. Makes me glad to stick with my 1/12th scale addiction. Even when we discuss (or argue about) our tire and motor rules, as compared to the tone of this thread, our online discussions seem downright gentlemanly.
Did you miss the 1/12 rubber tires thread? Some of us were all but acused of attempting to destroy the history of 1/12 by just thinking it could be a possibility.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

so lucky in Florida to have one carpet track
Antimullet likes this.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
I do race at a higher level than most in our area but I wont spend $500 on tires for a club race weekend which is why I commented on comparing the cost of attending large races vs club racing. I might spend this much on tires for the whole year though...
To argue your point about large races driving club race formats, I'd have to say that I have never been to any club race where handout motors or tires were mandatory. There has never been a limit on sets of tires used either. I race to win and often podium or win many of the classes I run. I always have to weigh the cost of running a new set of tires vs the potential gain it would generate for the level of competition at the time. Big races do to your point, create guidelines for running an efficient race format and address potential pitfalls that arise from the complexity of running multiple classes that require a level playing field to ensure fairness. I too have been doing this for a long time and have served as a club official in the past. I have been a race director for both club level races as well as national events so I've been there and done that.
It's never my intention to disparage anyone in these forums and I always do appreciate everyone's perspective and opinions.
I have owned and operated a track for a few years, put on a couple event races and a BRL Oval National Championship until TC went rubber and then slowly went out of business as my largest class became my smallest, so yeah I can be a little bitter towards rubber TC racing, lol.

For the correlation from event to club, I was not speaking of handout motors, since those are not the norm for the events yet. What i was speaking of is, how many 12th scales had Team Screams "The One" last year at the club level? How about the Trinity Monster this year? Those motors results help push the sales on Monday to the clubs.

On tires, our club does not hand out a tire, but we do require a "spec" tire for all classes we run. keeps things equal and not tire of the month expense.

As for our club racing, in 12th, we had to institute the 1 set for the day rule. Our top guys, Drew Ellis, Shawn Rayfield, Me, Steve Smith, and more would all run new, or second runs every qualifier. If not, you are about .2-.3 behind before you ever put your car down. If one of us showed at your track and ran our 1 runs and was laps ahead, I know you and others would follow suit to keep up, it is just the nature of racing. Which is why we went with the 1 set limit, so the average Joe would not "feel" priced out of the class.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
I have owned and operated a track for a few years, put on a couple event races and a BRL Oval National Championship until TC went rubber and then slowly went out of business as my largest class became my smallest, so yeah I can be a little bitter towards rubber TC racing, lol.

For the correlation from event to club, I was not speaking of handout motors, since those are not the norm for the events yet. What i was speaking of is, how many 12th scales had Team Screams "The One" last year at the club level? How about the Trinity Monster this year? Those motors results help push the sales on Monday to the clubs.

On tires, our club does not hand out a tire, but we do require a "spec" tire for all classes we run. keeps things equal and not tire of the month expense.

As for our club racing, in 12th, we had to institute the 1 set for the day rule. Our top guys, Drew Ellis, Shawn Rayfield, Me, Steve Smith, and more would all run new, or second runs every qualifier. If not, you are about .2-.3 behind before you ever put your car down. If one of us showed at your track and ran our 1 runs and was laps ahead, I know you and others would follow suit to keep up, it is just the nature of racing. Which is why we went with the 1 set limit, so the average Joe would not "feel" priced out of the class.
I'm having a hard time with this. If the majority of your racers were ready to quit rather than run rubber why would you even switch to rubber in the first place and when entries started to dry up why not offer a foam class or switch back? I don't mean this to be harsh but based on what you've written this sounds more like a market miscalculation than an issue of tire composition. It is not as if your area is unique in having classes go cold.

Also, I do appreciate the thankless work that you did and others do to give people places to race. This isn't a money maker and anyone that even tries deserves a thank you.
chensleyrc1 and YoDog like this.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

I have seen classes slow down and sometime go away like that , it can be imperceptible and take a couple of years,
In my area over the last 25 years I've seen carpet Oval racing, Legends, Trinity spec class, Foam F103 , 1/10 foam pancars, Foam TC, go away . More recently the demise of Mini class due to the reedy21.5 requirement , The Shortcourse trucks rise - plateau- extinction (hopefully ) . USVTA, USGT holding thier own ,Rubber F1 small but stable, WGT, 17.5TC , Mod TC all on life support
YoDog and DesertRat like this.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter View Post
I have seen classes slow down and sometime go away like that , it can be imperceptible and take a couple of years,
In my area over the last 25 years I've seen carpet Oval racing, Legends, Trinity spec class, Foam F103 , 1/10 foam pancars, Foam TC, go away . More recently the demise of Mini class due to the reedy21.5 requirement , The Shortcourse trucks rise - plateau- extinction (hopefully ) . USVTA, USGT holding thier own ,Rubber F1 small but stable, WGT, 17.5TC , Mod TC all on life support
I've noticed that it's both the same as well as completely different everywhere. There are a lot of factors that play into the demise of a given class. Perhaps limiting the number of classes and let the skill levels sort themselves out. If everyone needs to win a trophy then fine. Every main gets a 3 position podium. it's the same as different classes right? "A, B, C Main Champion" Spec tires and so on.
Open Mod is open... period.
17.5t is a good example. Just have 17.5 rubber and 17.5 foam and that's it. We just tried this last weekend and it was pretty good. A full heat of foam and a full heat of rubber. Some guys running both with the same car.
I had a really good time running the foams in 17.5 and if not for a bad start, I would have been on the podium but that's how it goes.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WGT, 17.5TC , Mod TC all on life support
I am so proud of the TC crowd at TQRC out in LA, they gathered their courage and stopped running 13.5 TC and are now all running Mod. It's beautiful, and nobody bitches about spec motors anymore.
Eddie_E and Antimullet like this.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yep and how many of those classes died off because the tires were switched to rubber? I don't think tire is the issue. I think it is classes getting stagnant or IMO the constant tinkering or threat of tinkering with rules. Right now, what does "stock" TC even mean? You have tracks running 17.5, 21.5, 25.5. Some want rubber, others foam. Does anyone who has run one of the new generation 21.5 motors think changing to that from a 17.5 does anything more significant that lighten the wallet? "Well, on average it is 2/10th slower a lap". So in other words the people that can drive get to spend money to go slower and the guys that have four different springs on each corner of their car will break stuff at a slightly lower rate and, on average, only blow out of two qualifiers per day versus three. There are plenty of dumb people in RC but there are plenty who can clearly see when crap is being thrown against the wall with the hope that something sticks.
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
I've noticed that it's both the same as well as completely different everywhere. There are a lot of factors that play into the demise of a given class. Perhaps limiting the number of classes and let the skill levels sort themselves out. If everyone needs to win a trophy then fine. Every main gets a 3 position podium. it's the same as different classes right? "A, B, C Main Champion" Spec tires and so on.
Open Mod is open... period.
17.5t is a good example. Just have 17.5 rubber and 17.5 foam and that's it. We just tried this last weekend and it was pretty good. A full heat of foam and a full heat of rubber. Some guys running both with the same car.
I had a really good time running the foams in 17.5 and if not for a bad start, I would have been on the podium but that's how it goes.
Yeah , I really dont know what the answer is , I'd like to give Foam TC a try . The only Carpet track in Northern Illinois isn't going to run foams and I like rubber tires outside so for Me now its a no go .
It's nice to see the track you race at give the foams a try and that it was fun.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I am so proud of the TC crowd at TQRC out in LA, they gathered their courage and stopped running 13.5 TC and are now all running Mod. It's beautiful, and nobody bitches about spec motors anymore.
Is TQRC a large outdoor asphalt track or a smallish indoor carpet track? If its outdoor I bet you can run year round outdoors, I bet more people would run mod here if we could run more then half a year ( I haven't run onroad mod)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Yep and how many of those classes died off because the tires were switched to rubber? I don't think tire is the issue. I think it is classes getting stagnant or IMO the constant tinkering or threat of tinkering with rules. Right now, what does "stock" TC even mean? You have tracks running 17.5, 21.5, 25.5. Some want rubber, others foam. Does anyone who has run one of the new generation 21.5 motors think changing to that from a 17.5 does anything more significant that lighten the wallet? "Well, on average it is 2/10th slower a lap". So in other words the people that can drive get to spend money to go slower and the guys that have four different springs on each corner of their car will break stuff at a slightly lower rate and, on average, only blow out of two qualifiers per day versus three. There are plenty of dumb people in RC but there are plenty who can clearly see when crap is being thrown against the wall with the hope that something sticks.
Well , I'm not sure but i think Onroad Oval still uses foam, but I do miss the simple classes like 200mm F103, Spec foam pancars, Stock1/10 foam pancars, legends. Well we know WGT is just rubber 1/10 pancar , F1 switched to rubber and is now way more expensive. Spec classes have thier time and then evaporate away .

As Far as motors go the 21.5 of today is as fast or faster then the 17.5 of 5 years ago. ( at least on onroad, 21.5 offroad would be moronic)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is TQRC a large outdoor asphalt track or a smallish indoor carpet track? If its outdoor I bet you can run year round outdoors, I bet more people would run mod here if we could run more then half a year ( I haven't run onroad mod)
Its a 90'x40' indoor track, usually pretty flowing and fast lap times. Now they run Mod instead of blowing up spec motors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.