Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Gravity Foam spec tire >

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Like Tree402Likes

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Old 01-03-2018, 04:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I thibk that a lot of people are falsely blaming rubber tires for the decline of on road. It may have had a part, but the decline happened at the same time of the recession as well.
robk and performula like this.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer View Post
I thibk that a lot of people are falsely blaming rubber tires for the decline of on road. It may have had a part, but the decline happened at the same time of the recession as well.
Good thought. Despite some economic indicators pointing positive there are a number of articles that indicate people who have extra cash are not throwing it around like they were a decade ago. I can think of all the golf courses that opened locally after the "Tiger Bump" that are now fields. The motorcycle market was artificially inflated as well and has settled into a more normal volume if you exclude that huge bubble that happened in the early 2000's. Maybe switching motorcycles to foams will get those sales back up?
robk likes this.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Good thought. Despite some economic indicators pointing positive there are a number of articles that indicate people who have extra cash are not throwing it around like they were a decade ago. I can think of all the golf courses that opened locally after the "Tiger Bump" that are now fields. The motorcycle market was artificially inflated as well and has settled into a more normal volume if you exclude that huge bubble that happened in the early 2000's. Maybe switching motorcycles to foams will get those sales back up?
May also have something to do with the 4 strokes replacing a lot of 2 strokes? I know a few SuperCross privateers that quit around then due to increase cost of maintenance.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So.... how are people liking their Gravity foams? How are you finding the wear?
Old 01-03-2018, 05:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
May also have something to do with the 4 strokes replacing a lot of 2 strokes? I know a few SuperCross privateers that quit around then due to increase cost of maintenance.
Think about it as total units but I do agree that long term the four-strokes have put the squeeze on anyone lacking exceedingly deep pockets. Outside of SX I see any grassroots motocross dying on the vine in the USA.

So it has been a few weeks since this thread started. Has the foam thing seemed to gain traction locally for your group or has that initial excitement worn off?
chensleyrc1 likes this.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Nope, too many whiners and naysayers in my home area so I quit TC altogether. Offroad it is and occasional 1/12 onroad when I can stand the henhouse quibbling.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Antimullet View Post
Nope, too many whiners and naysayers in my home area so I quit TC altogether. Offroad it is....
So you don't run a TC class because it's rubber, then run a class that's always been rubber?
theproffesor and skater-deez1 like this.

Last edited by Skiddins; 01-03-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Nope, too many whiners and naysayers in my home area so I quit TC altogether. Offroad it is and occasional 1/12 onroad when I can stand the henhouse quibbling.
Sorry to hear this. I thought most of the bitching was clustered around a handful of malcontents on RCTech. Sounds like the quality of people is more of a problem than tire material where you race. First world problems.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
So you don't a TC class because it's rubber, then run a class that's always been rubber?
If you’re talking about Offroad being rubber yes. The tires actually work there. And are the highest performance option. Not some idiot self induced slow down. Like they are in TC.

And 1/12 is foam last time I checked.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

..Not some idiot self induced slow down...
Like spec motors.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer View Post
The decline of onroad isn't just due to one factor like rubber tire TC.
The economy is a factor too.
I only have for On Road racing equipment (Now bearly) suitable for VTA .
To have the equipment needed to even start to race 17.5 Stock rubber competitively literally is thousands of dollars.
$500- 800 chassis, $150 motor, $100 dollar batteries (4 +?), 30 amp charger/discharger, multiple sets of tires that are in various stages of conditions, Tweakboard ,setup station, motor timing and dyno box, possibly aftermarket chassis, lightened driveline parts, good radio and a boatload of time available for setup and practice time. (It seem like all that stuff is needed USGT and VTA now too . But the next stop would be quitting altogether)
No wonder why people may say F that 17.5 class

The carpet track where I race is not interested in foam tires , so it won't happen here anyway.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Thumbs down

The comedy of seeing these tires for sale pre- "chunked" hasn't been lost on this guy!
Old 01-03-2018, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Originally Posted by skater-deez1 View Post
The comedy of seeing these tires for sale pre- "chunked" hasn't been lost on this guy!
I saw that myself. Lol
skater-deez1 likes this.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter View Post
The decline of onroad isn't just due to one factor like rubber tire TC.
The economy is a factor too.
I only have for On Road racing equipment (Now bearly) suitable for VTA .
To have the equipment needed to even start to race 17.5 Stock rubber competitively literally is thousands of dollars.
$500- 800 chassis, $150 motor, $100 dollar batteries (4 +?), 30 amp charger/discharger, multiple sets of tires that are in various stages of conditions, Tweakboard ,setup station, motor timing and dyno box, possibly aftermarket chassis, lightened driveline parts, good radio and a boatload of time available for setup and practice time. (It seem like all that stuff is needed USGT and VTA now too . But the next stop would be quitting altogether)
No wonder why people may say F that 17.5 class

The carpet track where I race is not interested in foam tires , so it won't happen here anyway.
You don't need half the stuff you put above, and two lipo's at most.
People have managed to get into a mindset (in stock) that they must have the absolute latest gear to be competitive all the time.
Whilst motors and lipo's are more important in stock (the only two items on your list that are) you can always buy from the guy who tries almost everything out there, every track has at least one of those guys
I have friends who've been through most of the different lipo manufactures over a year and honestly couldn't tell any difference.
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:37 AM
Tech Master

“I have friends who've been through most of the different lipo manufactures over a year and honestly couldn't tell any difference.”

That’s why I switched to GensAce batteries. I get the same power on the track. And can buy to packs for the price of one. I highly recommend that people try this brand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.