New Gravity Foam spec tire

Like Tree402Likes

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Old 12-23-2017, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Antimullet View Post
Dang it Marcos! Thatís the third time in less than a day someone got me on that. Lol

Skater-deez and Skiddins, - sorry guys Iím just messing with people. Nothing meant personnel. I would just like to see foam tried once again without all the negativity about them. Who knows maybe the younger generations would like to mess with foams. I always enjoyed it.
All good, at the end of the day we all love rc. I just don't wanna live in a world of usgt/ vta foams.......
Antimullet likes this.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've been racing 1/12 for over 25 years, tire care is one of the most important steps in ANY race car big or small. Me? I prefer foam, I find them the easiest to maintain. as far as set up its all important. It seems to me everyone wants to fix something that's not broken. I don't race tc so its whatever the racers want to do and the people pushing for rubber in 1/12 don't even race it. Just like the guys pushing for 2s in 1/12 says that's what we needed to get more racers. I figured if a $25-40 voltage booster was stopping you, you really weren't interested anyways. Will foams bring me back to tc? No but I might play with one.
miller tyme and Antimullet like this.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy View Post
I remember an IIC race where the fast guys showed up with 20+ pairs of tires trued down to 55-56mm. They ran them 1-2 times then tossed them in the garbage. You can revise the rules with a min tire diam of 56mm min and people will true them down to 57mm. This was the main reason why foam failed 10+ years ago. I'm not even sure you can control this unless you specify 2 sets of tires max and mark them.
near same thing occurs with rubber TC, started like day one. since they probably didn't throw their one run tires in the garbage, it went unnoticed

post from Rick Hohwart

Team Associated TC5

"We later learned that others were using new tires in every round, and in the low traction conditions, new tires were faster over the course of a 5 minute run. This slight mistake cost us dearly but we are confident that the car will win rubber races in the near future."
Old 12-24-2017, 11:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HawaiiBob View Post
I guess everybody has forgotten that touring cars started with rubber tires. Looks as though history is bound to repeat itself.
You also realize TC really never took off until they went to foam, right? Too many choices of rubber, tread, insert and wheels. And to this day, TC has not had the turnouts of when they ran foam. When is the last time we saw over 100 TC entries in one class? Only 1 class has stayed consistent with attendance, 12th scale. Wonder why?
miller tyme and Antimullet like this.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars View Post
near same thing occurs with rubber TC, started like day one. since they probably didn't throw their one run tires in the garbage, it went unnoticed

post from Rick Hohwart

Team Associated TC5

"We later learned that others were using new tires in every round, and in the low traction conditions, new tires were faster over the course of a 5 minute run. This slight mistake cost us dearly but we are confident that the car will win rubber races in the near future."
And notice what he mentioned about foam, nothing about tire choices on what to use, new or used, etc.

"Foam was different. I had never raced foam tires on carpet and Juho and Craig had very little experience so we went into the race at a big disadvantage. We started slowly and worked in different directions but I feel in the end my car was very good. Half way through my last qualifier on an A-main pace but fell off it due to a bad cell (I think) and ended up 17th overall. I installed an Orion Brushless system for the main which was very fast but it did change the handling of the car enough that I could not push as hard as I would have liked although I did end up 6th."
Old 12-25-2017, 03:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
When is the last time we saw over 100 TC entries in one class? Only 1 class has stayed consistent with attendance, 12th scale. Wonder why?
That’s sort of a loaded question. Since tc has 6-7 different classes those entries get spread out over those classes. It’s the “Participation trophy syndrome” in tc.

Where 12th scale has really only 3 classes. You guys are missing a great opportunity to pad 12th scale entries. 12th scale needs another 2-3 classes so the entries will grow, right? Isn’t that how this hobby works now. Lol

But I did some research for you and you may be very surprised at the outcome.

IIC- 17.5 TC 57 entries
17.5 12th 41 entries
Total tc 190 all classes
12th 82 all classes

Snowbirds- 17.5 TC 54 entries
17.5 12th 45 entries
Total TC 145 all classes
12th 101 all classes

Indoor champs- 17.5 TC 69 entries
17.5 12th 87 entries
Total TC 188 all classes
12th 159 entries all classes

Roar carpet nationals 17.5 TC 57ish entries
17.5 12th 27ish entries
Roar wasn’t on live rc to be able to break it down to much work for me lol

But from the looks Rubber tire tc isn’t doing to bad vs the longest running never changed foam tire 12th scale.
JimmyMac and skater-deez1 like this.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

I also went back on the snowbirds website back to 2003.

I think I have found why RC Racing is “Broken”

Back then there were 6 on road classes TOTAL. With 19t having a sportsman and pro class.

Fast forward to last years race on road had 11 classes... that’s just crazy to me to see that on paper in front of me.

I knew it has spread its self out but that’s just crazy. To me.

Tires are not killing On road.......the racers are.

Stop adding more classes!!!!!

Go back to Stock and mod with maybe ONE in between class and be done.
If you are in the “J” main so be it.

Also throughout my looking around this morning I did find it funny and ironic that 12th scale has basically had 2-3 (stk, mod and an in between) classes and that’s it. None of this watered down BS TC has going on
RBLove, JimmyMac, DaveVera and 7 others like this.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by imprsme View Post
That’s sort of a loaded question. Since tc has 6-7 different classes those entries get spread out over those classes. It’s the “Participation trophy syndrome” in tc.

Where 12th scale has really only 3 classes. You guys are missing a great opportunity to pad 12th scale entries. 12th scale needs another 2-3 classes so the entries will grow, right? Isn’t that how this hobby works now. Lol

But I did some research for you and you may be very surprised at the outcome.

IIC- 17.5 TC 57 entries
17.5 12th 41 entries
Total tc 190 all classes
12th 82 all classes

Snowbirds- 17.5 TC 54 entries
17.5 12th 45 entries
Total TC 145 all classes
12th 101 all classes

Indoor champs- 17.5 TC 69 entries
17.5 12th 87 entries
Total TC 188 all classes
12th 159 entries all classes

Roar carpet nationals 17.5 TC 57ish entries
17.5 12th 27ish entries
Roar wasn’t on live rc to be able to break it down to much work for me lol

But from the looks Rubber tire tc isn’t doing to bad vs the longest running never changed foam tire 12th scale.

2004 - Stock TC - 110 entries Mod TC 35
2006- Stock TC - 80 - 19T - 90 - Mod -20 Masters-30 Total - 220

2008- Rubber re-debut at the ROAR Nats also debut of brushless. Stock was 27TB/13.5BL
13.5 Rubber - 40 - 26 laps 5:00
SSTC- 36 - 30 laps 5:07
TC Stock - 54 - 28 laps 5:02
TC Mod - 21 - 32 laps 5:08

I can go on, lol. 2006 and 2008 show 4 classes, for the wanna trophy group, lol. 2007 was down in attendance for all classes.

I think Imprsme is right as well.

The classes suffered from the changes made and the extra classes "created".

Last edited by chensleyrc1; 12-25-2017 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If I remember right 2005 was the debacle in Connecticut, since we are cherry picking our numbers. What I am pointing out is that attendance is inconsistent depending on where the nats are too.

2004 - the Gate Ohio?
2005 Conn.
2006 West coast???
2007 Michigan
2008 Nebraska
2009 Gate again, IIRC
2010 Horsham PA?

BTW 1999 nats on rubber tire, 70+ in stock sedan, 50+ in mod, 2000 80 + stock, 60+ mod

In any case, the time around the middle of the 2000's was the absolute peak for sedan/on road. Then we got wraps on tires, then 53mm rims, ultra light bodies, then turbo boost, etc. down the line. Rubber tires were not the cause of people leaving on road. And this all could have been solved if a spec foam tire had been implemented at the time. But nobody wanted that...

Plaid fronts, purple rears with stripes on a 50mm rim would have solved all this tire squabbling. Nobody would do it though, because it would have offended some tire manufacturer who then would not sponsor a race or whatever.

BTW don't you guys think that all the horrible horrible classes you have that "trophy seekers" who are not real men have made popular are actually a response to all the crap that went along with the above? I pretty sure that's a possibility.

Here are the facts, people vote with their feet. They are going to do what they enjoy, and not everyone enjoys what you think they should. Should I race only your choice of sedan class so you feel better that there were 100+ entries in one class? How is that objectively better than 2 classes of whatever with 50 + entries in each? While impressive, at some point additional entries really don't contribute to the quality of competition. Yes, there has to be a decent turn out for the competition to be close, but I'm sure 50 entries more than does it.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

And notice what he mentioned about foam, nothing about tire choices on what to use, new or used, etc.

"Foam was different. I had never raced foam tires on carpet and Juho and Craig had very little experience so we went into the race at a big disadvantage. We started slowly and worked in different directions but I feel in the end my car was very good. Half way through my last qualifier on an A-main pace but fell off it due to a bad cell (I think) and ended up 17th overall. I installed an Orion Brushless system for the main which was very fast but it did change the handling of the car enough that I could not push as hard as I would have liked although I did end up 6th."
foam or rubber on carpet, appears they had experience issues with both types of tires, reading that thread they were fielding a new belt car at that time. and if you read more of that racers posts, he sounds kinda pro-foam which would make sense, since he has a heavy 12th pan car back ground.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

TC based cars have alot of classes, especially now VTA, USGT. then TC mod, 17.5, 21.5, along with pro, invite, novice/am, handout motor, rubber or foam, control or not. alot of spin offs on TC based cars, but so does the 12th pan car onroad gets a generic title although is the basis of all pan cars: 200MM run foam/rubber, 235mm mostly run foam, GT-12 run foam and rubber. F-1 mostly run rubber, but is run foam too in 190mm and 200mm configs, various 1/10 oval pans cars run rubber or foam, stretched 1/12 oval cars foam, 1/12 rubber tire cars run in Japan are far from the standard also, more of a stretched, heavier 1/12 attempt at a pan TC/GT car

too many are making classes off tires and bodies more than motors, boost, blinky variations.
Jorge T and Antimullet like this.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pinkz View Post
....and if you read more of that racers posts, he sounds kinda pro-foam which would make sense, since he has a heavy 12th pan car back ground.
If you speak to him now, you'll find he doesn't want foam back in TC racing
Old 12-26-2017, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robk View Post
If I remember right 2005 was the debacle in Connecticut, since we are cherry picking our numbers. What I am pointing out is that attendance is inconsistent depending on where the nats are too.

2004 - the Gate Ohio?
2005 Conn.
2006 West coast???
2007 Michigan
2008 Nebraska
2009 Gate again, IIRC
2010 Horsham PA?

BTW 1999 nats on rubber tire, 70+ in stock sedan, 50+ in mod, 2000 80 + stock, 60+ mod

In any case, the time around the middle of the 2000's was the absolute peak for sedan/on road. Then we got wraps on tires, then 53mm rims, ultra light bodies, then turbo boost, etc. down the line. Rubber tires were not the cause of people leaving on road. And this all could have been solved if a spec foam tire had been implemented at the time. But nobody wanted that...

Plaid fronts, purple rears with stripes on a 50mm rim would have solved all this tire squabbling. Nobody would do it though, because it would have offended some tire manufacturer who then would not sponsor a race or whatever.

BTW don't you guys think that all the horrible horrible classes you have that "trophy seekers" who are not real men have made popular are actually a response to all the crap that went along with the above? I pretty sure that's a possibility.

Here are the facts, people vote with their feet. They are going to do what they enjoy, and not everyone enjoys what you think they should. Should I race only your choice of sedan class so you feel better that there were 100+ entries in one class? How is that objectively better than 2 classes of whatever with 50 + entries in each? While impressive, at some point additional entries really don't contribute to the quality of competition. Yes, there has to be a decent turn out for the competition to be close, but I'm sure 50 entries more than does it.
I agree with the statement in red Rob, I do not agree on the whats the difference statement on multiple classes. 100+ in one class gives everyone of every caliber a range of racers for them to race. Split them and that number splits as well. With multiple classes it dilutes the mid pack racers. Just my opinion and experience.
RBLove likes this.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You also realize TC really never took off until they went to foam, right? Too many choices of rubber, tread, insert and wheels. And to this day, TC has not had the turnouts of when they ran foam. When is the last time we saw over 100 TC entries in one class? Only 1 class has stayed consistent with attendance, 12th scale. Wonder why?
Just on WEDNESDAY nights we get 30-40 rubber tire tc
check it out on liverc
360v2
Old 01-02-2018, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cpal View Post
Just on WEDNESDAY nights we get 30-40 rubber tire tc
check it out on liverc
360v2
And when I owned my track I would get 50-60 on Thursday and Saturday nights, all stock foam. Plus about 20-30 12th scales. Rubber came and that dropped to less than 10 TC's, but 12th was still pulling about 20 before I shut down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.