New Gravity Foam spec tire >

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Like Tree402Likes

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Old 12-20-2017, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
USGT run weaker motors due to those crap tires. If they didn't slow the class, no one would of ran it. Also, the USGT is more on realistic looks, hence treaded tires and the body rules, not so much the "consistent" traction of the "crap" tires.
And yet 21.5 motors keep getting faster and faster all while running on the same garbage tires. You may be right but I don't believe for a second that rubber makes a bit of difference except to the old school guys who used to run foam a decade ago. It is just strange to me that people want to turn to foam because they can't or don't want to spend the time figuring out a tire that is used successfully by some pretty decent drivers pretty much everywhere else in the world. Isn't that kind of the point of buying a $600 chassis with 500 different interactive adjustments? Let us know how it goes. I'd be happy to be wrong if TC took off again.
nnick likes this.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

As the least experienced racer here. I can say that foam vs rubber never even enter my mind during the 6 years before racing. And it’s not even on the radar of those outside racing. Most get scared off at price of cars alone.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
And yet 21.5 motors keep getting faster and faster all while running on the same garbage tires. You may be right but I don't believe for a second that rubber makes a bit of difference except to the old school guys who used to run foam a decade ago. It is just strange to me that people want to turn to foam because they can't or don't want to spend the time figuring out a tire that is used successfully by some pretty decent drivers pretty much everywhere else in the world. Isn't that kind of the point of buying a $600 chassis with 500 different interactive adjustments? Let us know how it goes. I'd be happy to be wrong if TC took off again.

I hope your wrong as well, I would love to see TC come back to what it was. We both want the same thing, growth of the class. If I thought this would drive racers away, i would not be for it. I just really think all it can do is help. And maybe us old school guys might know a little sumthin, lol.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:32 AM
Tech Rookie

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."
Old 12-21-2017, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have watched this conversation since post one and for the life of me haven't been able to ascertain what all the folderol is about. Now we have a post that might shed some light on what the actual bottom line is. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". Just what are the needs of the many that has created such a spirited discussion? Or perhaps the few that want a bigger piece of whatever the action is. Do we really need to take steps backward just so we can increase terminal velocity one step nearer the "vanishing point"? Or is it in fact an attempt to further distance the self proclaimed "hero driver" from the rank rookies by flattening the learning curve so that they are less bothered by them in their quest for knowledge? How will the advancement to the rear make the competition better? That is what we are speaking of, isn't it? If all you want to do is go fast why don't you just fire up the biggest Mamba Max and 4 cell Lipo that you can stuff in the car add the tires and suspension of your choice and see (A) how long you can hang on and (B) how fast you can "re-kit" your creation.

As a racer I choose to run in classes that have the most stringent rules so I can concentrate on actually driving the car and having fun. As a new track operator I don't want to alienate anyone(within reason) by saying this or that won't be allowed. So I will let competitors in the less rigidly constructed classes(read mod) to run foams. As long as EVERYBODY runs foams. Maybe we will even switch back and forth but the existing structured classes will adhere to existing rules. I don't give 2 sh1ts about what ROAR or IFMAR are lobbied into doing by a manufacturer or by a group of self serving individuals who think they can "out pro" the pro's.

There likely aren't a half a dozen people out there that are making a living by driving scale model race cars. This is a serious hobby for some and a terrific way to have fun for the rest of us. You have to do what is best for your group in your location. Don't get caught up in the causes of the "left" coast or East Jesus Lithuania.

Nuff said.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TheYankee0806 View Post
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."
" Or the One"
Old 12-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
USGT run weaker motors due to those crap tires. If they didn't slow the class, no one would of ran it. Also, the USGT is more on realistic looks, hence treaded tires and the body rules, not so much the "consistent" traction of the "crap" tires.
Well, just so everybody knows the facts:

21.5 was picked before the "crap tires" were selected as an official tire. USGT started as "any treaded tire", some of which were arguably better than some of the regular sedan tires run now (pit shimizu 30 squiggles, anyone?). In any case, the Gravity was picked long after USGT was formulated.

USGT came out of RCGT, which was huge for about 2 years, especially out west, but got derailed when all the turbo boost escs came out. RCGT was 17.5 motors, but USGT was 21.5, figuring why have 2 17.5 classes? It was, at the time, a good speed for all of us "funsters" as well.

So basically, the motors and tires have very little to do with each other.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

To add a bit to my earlier tirade here is a picture of the first sign posted at the new track. There will be many more to go up but since we are starting to get more interested visitors this one speaks to the direction we will take and do our damnedest to hold onto.
Attached Thumbnails New Gravity Foam spec tire-dscn5129.jpg  
Mrcaldwell704 likes this.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I prefer the signs that used to hang at every single carpet track in the United States.. they read "NO RUBBER TIRES ON THE CARPET !! FOAM ONLY !! Lol
Old 12-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
To add a bit to my earlier tirade here is a picture of the first sign posted at the new track....
Given the earlier tirade, I find the "No Egos..." sign to be ironic.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Tried the tires at the local carpet track and they felt good! Didn't have a transponder installed but they sure felt faster. The car definitely leaned alot harder without breaking traction so I'm sure there are some setup changes I should be doing with them. Only ran the tires once for fun but will try them out again soon
Old 12-22-2017, 03:06 AM
Tech Elite

Had a long discussion with Chris Grainger in the UK who has been running since before TC existed, so has run almost every class on foams although he is mainly TC.
I mentioned that I was getting a set of the Gravity foams in just to see what they were like (haven't received them yet).
He said i'd love them and my car will be a lot faster, but if everyone ends up running them get ready for TC to die.

The issue being that to get an edge the sizes of the tyres required to be competitive will shrink as we end up with another 'arms race' over tyre sizes etc. They may not need to be trued down or glued out of the packet, but there will be drivers who do want to do it to gain an edge.

He also pointed out the most successful classes are always those run on rubber tyres, every foam class is a small niche class (1/12, 1/8 & 1/10 nitro etc).

Lets be honest, if you run in the low end stock classes, 17.5, 21.5 etc, you don't need more grip, you just need to admit you like going slowly. And if those classes changed to foam you'd still have this sausage fest where people buy the motor and lipo's of the month. i.e. the stock class issues would still exist, you'd just be going slightly faster.
You can make a better argument for running Mod on foams, but even then...

Perhaps if Mod was on foams more people would be encouraged to move up to that class, or maybe it would finish it off.
skater-deez1 likes this.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

There is this false fear that truing tires is a bad thing. Been doing it for 30 Years in 1/12 and 1/8 nitro when I ran it. It’s a non issue. Kind of like a false flag. Everyone is jumping on this bogus theory. But hey don’t engage critical thinking.

I already solved my dilemma with TC foams. I just sold my TC and quit the class. Too much flipping whining. I’ll stick what 1/12. The longest lasting most successful class. Because FOAM.

Spending thousands on a fancy TC chassis to get artificially performance limited with rubber tires is like having a 4 cylinder in a z06 Vette truly ghey as hell.

Revoke your man cards...
Old 12-22-2017, 05:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Antimullet View Post
Revoke your man cards...

I'm not sure I understand (language barrier and all that)... Do you mean people who favor rubber tires for their toy cars suffer from a deficit of manhood? Or, if you meant it figuratively, do you think their preference for rubber tires stems from a lack of courage?
Ggrant likes this.

Last edited by heretic; 12-22-2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-22-2017, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think he means that trying to slow them down so anyone can play is the problem.

I don’t have a problem with truing tires, I do it for nitro sedan and 8th scale. But I like the fact that with rubber tires, you don’t have to constantly adjust roll centers and gearing to adapt to the new tire diameter. It’s just one less thing to have to worry about on race day.

But... like I already said, I just want to race. If we go foam, I’ll race foam. If we stay with rubber, I’ll race rubber. The fast guys are still going to be fast and I’ll keep trying to improve my setup skills and driving skills to catch up with the fast guys!
Marcos.J, heretic and Thunderbunny like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.