Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Gravity Foam spec tire >

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Like Tree402Likes

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Old 12-18-2017, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think the reason for your lap times getting worse when traction came up was because of the glazing from not cleaning the tires more than anything else.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I remember an IIC race where the fast guys showed up with 20+ pairs of tires trued down to 55-56mm. They ran them 1-2 times then tossed them in the garbage. You can revise the rules with a min tire diam of 56mm min and people will true them down to 57mm. This was the main reason why foam failed 10+ years ago. I'm not even sure you can control this unless you specify 2 sets of tires max and mark them.
Marcos.J likes this.

Last edited by malkiy; 12-18-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy View Post
I remember an IIC race where the fast guys showed up with 20+ pairs of tires trued down to 55-56mm. They ran them 1-2 times then tossed them in the garbage. You can revise the rules with a min tire diam of 56mm min and people will true them down to 57mm. This was the main reason why foam failed 10+ years ago. I'm not even sure you can control this unless you specify 2 sets of tires max and mark them.
Itís going to repeat itself once again just a matter of time
Old 12-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

This and the rubber 12th scale thread just show that rc racers have no clue what they really want!
Old 12-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imprsme View Post
This and the rubber 12th scale thread just show that rc racers have no clue what they really want!
Add in the VTA guys crying about HPI vs Protoform tires and USGT guys with this body not being legal and it's never ending.

With that said I look forward to running some 17.5T Foam this weekend 🙌
miller tyme and Antimullet like this.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
Itís going to repeat itself once again just a matter of time
No, No, No, these tires aren't their best when shaved down to a one or two run tire. Unicorns and perpetual motion machines are real too. And somehow cars will be just as durable when joe schmo club racer is white knuckling his 17.5 at current mod-rubber speeds. Get the dust pan out, we get what we deserve.

Don't be a hater. Foam is here to save the day.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

And i remember the days of 1 run rubber tires before they started limiting them. To be honest, the most money on tires I have ever spent was at a Indoor Nationals at MinnReg in Florida when TC first started. Spent about $600 on tires that weekend. Who remembers the Jaco prebuilts that lasted 1 race but cost $50 a set? The way we limited rubber sets and the way 12th is limited now to amount of sets used, will be done the same for TC foam. Unless you limit tires, whether rubber or foam, you go back to what you described.
Rick Vessell and miller tyme like this.

Last edited by chensleyrc1; 12-19-2017 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
And i remember the days of 1 run rubber tires before they started limiting them. To be honest, the most money on tires I have ever spent was at a Indoor Nationals at MinnReg in Florida when TC first started. Spent about $600 on tires that weekend. Who remembers the Jaco prebuilts that lasted 1 race but cost $50 a set? The way we limited rubber sets and the way 12th is limited now to amount of sets used, will be done the same for TC foam. Unless you limit tires, whether rubber or foam, you go back to what you described.
So it has been almost a decade that foam TC was replaced by rubber. I've yet to see the return of the $50 one run rubber tire. I think we are safe.

The foam tires do sound cool. I started just when things changed over and never ran them except for 12th and WGT. If it helps bring back an interest in TC it is a good thing although I find most of the benefits bandied about in this thread spurious or outright fantasy. Locally USGT has supplanted TC. These guys were more than happy to race on the lowest common denominator of crap rubber tires when they had the option of running something (TC) that actually provides somewhat consistent traction. I don't think these guys care about the benefits of foam. Maybe region dependent?
Old 12-19-2017, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I don't ever remember 1 run rubber on carpet. Now if you're talking asphalt then yes proline S3 rubber tires were 1 run rubber tires.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Continuing to try them on unprepared surfaces. Third vehicle. The Yokomo yd2tc RWD touring car

Concrete.

https://youtu.be/TK5PcO-3X6A

Tennis court.

https://youtu.be/dqeDVvJHvSo
Old 12-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
Here we go again referencing "Big" races as a viable argument. The vast majority of racers never go to these races so why bring them up when complaining about cost? Big races are not an accurate gauge for tire war discussions. The requirements are very different and managed very differently. You will always spend a ton of money for big races because you are now trying to compete with drivers who are at a higher level with deeper pockets and sponsorships. Of course you are going to be stuck paying for some sort of edge. You are racing against others with the same mindset/goals. Club racing is typically very budget conscious because most folks need their supplies to last several races or the whole season not just one race weekend. Limited sets and a minimum diameter could be enforced at the large events but on a local level... not so likely.
theproffesor likes this.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I don't ever remember 1 run rubber on carpet. Now if you're talking asphalt then yes proline S3 rubber tires were 1 run rubber tires.
It's not so much that they are 1 run tires, it's that at large events, you need every bit of performance possible at all times to compete at this level. The tires are likely fine for 10+ runs but if you are racing guys who run a new set every heat, you will have to do the same to compete. For 90% of the racers in this country, this is not realistic. Rubber tires are not expensive. It's our choice as to how many runs they are worth. Now... if a race organizer decides to mark a set of tires with a non-counterfeit method to indicate how many runs that set has on them, maybe they can be easily tracked. Let's say that you can run whatever you want in Qualifications but you must run a set that has at least (1) 5 minute heat prior for the mains. These numbers can vary but perhaps it can work for both foam and rubber. It adds a bit of strategy.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

No guys, these tires were wore to the white foam insert in 1 run. Big race or not, it was 1 run.
Also, the ONLY reason they are not 1 run still is due to the limited sets at races. And those who don't care about big races, well, what happens there happens at the club level too. We had new 1 run tires every qual in 12th until we set a limit at our club level. If 1 does it, the rest follow.
If rubber is so wonderful, why limit sets? Why glue tires if you don't care about "big races" where that was started. Why are the racers wanting slower and slower classes? That one is easy to answer, the tires can no longer keep up with the electronics and chassis design, in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
So it has been almost a decade that foam TC was replaced by rubber. I've yet to see the return of the $50 one run rubber tire. I think we are safe.

The foam tires do sound cool. I started just when things changed over and never ran them except for 12th and WGT. If it helps bring back an interest in TC it is a good thing although I find most of the benefits bandied about in this thread spurious or outright fantasy. Locally USGT has supplanted TC. These guys were more than happy to race on the lowest common denominator of crap rubber tires when they had the option of running something (TC) that actually provides somewhat consistent traction. I don't think these guys care about the benefits of foam. Maybe region dependent?
USGT run weaker motors due to those crap tires. If they didn't slow the class, no one would of ran it. Also, the USGT is more on realistic looks, hence treaded tires and the body rules, not so much the "consistent" traction of the "crap" tires.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
Here we go again referencing "Big" races as a viable argument. The vast majority of racers never go to these races so why bring them up when complaining about cost? Big races are not an accurate gauge for tire war discussions. The requirements are very different and managed very differently. You will always spend a ton of money for big races because you are now trying to compete with drivers who are at a higher level with deeper pockets and sponsorships. Of course you are going to be stuck paying for some sort of edge. You are racing against others with the same mindset/goals. Club racing is typically very budget conscious because most folks need their supplies to last several races or the whole season not just one race weekend. Limited sets and a minimum diameter could be enforced at the large events but on a local level... not so likely.
Big race etiquette and rules are what drives the local club scene rules for the most part. What you are saying is that what happens on Sunday don't matter what sells on Monday??
Also, that may be at YOUR club. At a lot of them I have been to, they race the club level, just as they do the national level. I have been doing this since 1986, so I have seen a lot in this hobby, lol. What I do at the big races, i do at the club level. It is the only way to prepare for the races in my opinion. As for racers with a budget, we have those was well, they just don't do what the racers that go to races do, and they are happy where they finish.
Here is a question. When you race at your club, do you even try to win or are you happy with just driving? Either way is fine, not to be disparaging.
GrandeGixxer likes this.

Last edited by chensleyrc1; 12-20-2017 at 03:05 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.