Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Gravity Foam spec tire >

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Like Tree402Likes

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Old 12-14-2017, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I had no measurable wear after two battery packs. Pretty impressive. One thing I did notice is to heed the warning that Paul has on the instructions if you fully sauce the rear tires. Make sure you run some practice laps to get the tire prepped and be careful the rear is very loose after the initial sauce wipe and when you lay it down on the track. It actually takes these a bit more time (Maybe 3-5 laps) than a 1/12 car (around 2-3 laps) for the rear tires to come in.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
I had .2mm of wear after 18 minutes of running with 21.5T.

Only downside is to fit them on the A800X is I have to run wheel spacers in the rear or dremel the AM23.

Hoping others at my local track will be up for giving foam a shot because I'd love to go back to 17.5T. We got tires of getting maybe two race days on a set of tires...
For non-spec foam tires (BSR) on my AE 6.2 and my '17 Xray T4, I trim 3/32" off the back tire while it is spinning in the truer with an xacto knife. I trim the fronts a full 1/8". In the rear I will add just a slight bevel to the inner edge and it doesn't wear my camber links or my lower shock mount.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

On my TC7.1, the fronts fit fine, and the rears just barely touched the lower shock mount eyelet.

I trimmed the eyelet about 1mm worth. But a .5 shim on the hex to widen the rear would have been enough. And widening the car may also be beneficial as traction increases anyway (still don’t understand why his isn’t a more used tuning option).

The rim does get a bit close to the ball cup, but I am using yokomo ball cups which are a bit thicker than AE. But this would only effect the ability to change the roll center on the hub. So I am not terribly concerned with that.

I’ll be running them this weekend on medium bite CRC grey. And going to sauce with SXT lite. See how it goes.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:32 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Full disclosure, I have not raced an RC car formally in 20 years.

With that said I use to love how foams felt on my TA03 back in the day on grey carpet on a tiny indoor track.

Reading the posts about tuning these tires has me thinking. Why not employ a rule that limits the number of tires you can use over a period of time? If you need a tire to last a certain number of race days then taking material off the tire may lead to not having a usable tire by the end of the series.

I do a lot of fairly high end sailboat racing. The last one design class I was active in had a rule to limit the number of sails you could buy for one season, this was done to keep costs down. Each boat received 3 sail buttons every fall. You could use these buttons on whatever sail you wished but could only buy 3 each season. On this particular class the class sail inventory consisted of 8 sails so you had to be thoughtful about what sails would be replaced at the end of the season.

While it would be a bit more work for the organizers the same could be done for tires. Say the series goes for 3 months (12 race days). Say a set of tires lasts, on average, 6 race days (Just pulling numbers out of the air) so for this series you have "buttons" for 2 sets of tires which you can use anyway you like but you have to make them last till the end of the series so you may be a bit more conservative on the amount of truing you do to them so that they you still have usable tires at the end of the series. The other part of the equation is equalizing the points based on participation. This could be done with a minimum number or races raced to qualify for the series or a performance handicap based on the number of race days that you have.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-14-2017, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
I had .2mm of wear after 18 minutes of running with 21.5T.

Only downside is to fit them on the A800X is I have to run wheel spacers in the rear or dremel the AM23.

Hoping others at my local track will be up for giving foam a shot because I'd love to go back to 17.5T. We got tires of getting maybe two race days on a set of tires...
I beveled the inside of the rims in the rear to make clearance on the amx car .
Old 12-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LJH View Post
Full disclosure, I have not raced an RC car formally in 20 years.

With that said I use to love how foams felt on my TA03 back in the day on grey carpet on a tiny indoor track.

Reading the posts about tuning these tires has me thinking. Why not employ a rule that limits the number of tires you can use over a period of time? If you need a tire to last a certain number of race days then taking material off the tire may lead to not having a usable tire by the end of the series.

I do a lot of fairly high end sailboat racing. The last one design class I was active in had a rule to limit the number of sails you could buy for one season, this was done to keep costs down. Each boat received 3 sail buttons every fall. You could use these buttons on whatever sail you wished but could only buy 3 each season. On this particular class the class sail inventory consisted of 8 sails so you had to be thoughtful about what sails would be replaced at the end of the season.

While it would be a bit more work for the organizers the same could be done for tires. Say the series goes for 3 months (12 race days). Say a set of tires lasts, on average, 6 race days (Just pulling numbers out of the air) so for this series you have "buttons" for 2 sets of tires which you can use anyway you like but you have to make them last till the end of the series so you may be a bit more conservative on the amount of truing you do to them so that they you still have usable tires at the end of the series. The other part of the equation is equalizing the points based on participation. This could be done with a minimum number or races raced to qualify for the series or a performance handicap based on the number of race days that you have.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,
Jim

This is great in theory and is already done at large races on rubber tire. However, for most club racing, this would be impossible to enforce. Maybe if they were doing a point series and the tires or “buttons” were purchased up front fronthe shop and they were marked. But for your average weekend club race, it’s just too much.

Last edited by theproffesor; 12-14-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I swear to Christ that if you guys make a foam tire class that is 21.5 blinky or something like that I will puke. MOD. Foam is meant for MOD.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Eat something colorful that day so everyone can enjoy the artwork created.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I swear to Christ that if you guys make a foam tire class that is 21.5 blinky or something like that I will puke. MOD. Foam is meant for MOD.
Lmao. Mod is the men’s department of racing. Not sure why everyone shops in the preteen aisle. I’ll never understand it and I’ll never want to.
Kinda like hipsters...
DARKSIDE and Ggrant like this.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
You know they make motors other then a 4.5
Rick Vessell and Antimullet like this.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
This is great in theory and is already done at large races on rubber tire. However, for most club racing, this would be impossible to enforce. Maybe if they were doing a point series and the tires or “buttons” were purchased up front fronthe shop and they were marked. But for your average weekend club race, it’s just too much.
Already being done at ProLevelRC for club racing and points races. We limit 12th to 1 set of tires for the entire race day. You may skim the tires before the main, that is it. No issues of cheating, and easy to tech with colored stickers for the day.
two shoes likes this.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

How many racers generally turn out for a club race at your track? On a really good day we might have 20 - 25 entries total across all classes. And 1 set per race day is another $20 on top of entry fee. None of the racers around here would do that for a club race 2-3 times a month.

I will run them for the first time myself tomorrow. From what I’ve been reading here and from the couple guys at my track that have ran them, they are way faster than the gravity type c (.5-.7sec per lap) but only marginally faster than Sorex 28’s (.1). The biggest thing they say is the car “feels” smoother and more consistent.

So if a track doesn’t spec a specific rubber tire, why not allow rubber to run with foam as well? There is a bigger difference in lap times from various rubber tires, than there is between certain type of rubber and the foam.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
How many racers generally turn out for a club race at your track? On a really good day we might have 20 - 25 entries total across all classes. And 1 set per race day is another $20 on top of entry fee. None of the racers around here would do that for a club race 2-3 times a month.

I will run them for the first time myself tomorrow. From what I’ve been reading here and from the couple guys at my track that have ran them, they are way faster than the gravity type c (.5-.7sec per lap) but only marginally faster than Sorex 28’s (.1). The biggest thing they say is the car “feels” smoother and more consistent.

So if a track doesn’t spec a specific rubber tire, why not allow rubber to run with foam as well? There is a bigger difference in lap times from various rubber tires, than there is between certain type of rubber and the foam.
Most tracks I have been to spec a tire for TC and 12th. What is the difference with TC foam? I really think you are looking too hard to not like foam TC racing. As for why not run together? You can, until the foam tired TC's start filling the A-main with no rubber tired TC's able to run consistent enough to keep up.
Rubber tires are faster new, why not complain about the need to buy $30+ tires every run or every race weekend if not limited? If it is not policed by the club, then you are relying on the racer to police themselves?
My push for foam is because the rubber TC's are getting ridiculous with the gluing and the special tools needed just to be competitive with rubber. Also, rubber TC is too hard to drive for new racers, why do you think VTA and USGT along with 21.5 stock came about? Because the power is too much for the tires so racers keep pushing for slower classes. When foam was ran, there was 17.5, 13.5 and MOD, no "splinter" classes. Wonder why?
miller tyme and Ggrant like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

I think you mistook my post. I am running foam this weekend. I think it’s just another option that racer should be allowed to use. The main point I was getting at was that there is already such a disparity in rubber tires, why not just allow foams. I also don’t know any one that buys new rubber tires for every club race. They usually run them for 4/5 race days or longer before the get new ones. These foams I not tried out of the package should last just as long if not longer before new ones are needed, difference being they won’t fade as they wear, just need to adjust gear ratio.
chensleyrc1 and Antimullet like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

why make it so hard just do it like they used to , "rubber tire" and "foam" class , no need to run both together.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.