R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nickmind
Crystals, Transmitters, and Receivers oh my.

Hi All,

Iím a one year old RC newbie, and I have questions about radio systems Crystals, Transmitters, and Receivers oh my.

First question: I got the real question answered by myself. (Can you swap the crystals into different manufactured transmitters? Answer No) But why not? I have three different transmitters, Futaba 3PK (LOVE IT), Airtronics MX-3, and Hitec Aggressor FM. I tried to interchange the TX crystals between the different transmitters, of course they didnít work, WHY is the first question?

Second question: I found some information on why you canít interchange transmitter brands to Receiver brands. E.g. like it said above. Airtronics will not talk to Hitec receivers, due to frequency shift keying (FSK). But my question is this. Were is the FSK happing, in the receivers? Or in the Crystals? Reason why I ask, is in my test of changing the TX crystal between transmitters I also tried changing the RX crystals in receivers. And they all worked, except for the RX crystals going into the Futabaís receiver. I know it is because of Futaba PCM receiver. But if I swapped any RX crystals into the Hitec or Airtronics receivers, they worked from their respective transmitters. E.g. If I take the RX crystal from the Futaba receiver and put it into Hitec and Airtronics receiver, I could control them from the Futaba Transmitter. So with that said is FSK control with in the crystals?

Third question: If I could change the RX crystals so that any transmitter will work with any receiver. How does the receivers from Novak work with different Transmitters right out of the box?

Thanks for your help and time,

Nickmind
Old 02-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Crystals each have a manufacturing code that only lets you use sertaint crystals. Recievers Im not to sure about but I think it is the manufacturing code.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Here is a suggestion... sell the two of the three TX/RX combos and buy two RX for the TX/RX combo that you keep
spidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Tech Regular

hey nick sound like you got a fair few transmitters for different cars. that is a very inefficient way of going about things.

best thing for you to do is go Spektrum for either your 3pk or Crx.

then buy more recievers for your different cars.

and sell all your old skool crystals and rx's

that way all you have to do change cars is turn it on and change the profile in your 3pk and you off and going, no need for crystal changes!!!
XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Wink

Thanks for your suggestions. But the question is more of a technically speaking point of view. I want to know why the radio systems work in this way.

But also, to go DSM in all my models would be to costly. I am using the futaba for most of the models, but I want to get sell off the Hitec fm trans. and get a receiver that can receive from both Futaba 3PK or Airtronics MX-3 transmitters? Any suggestions on that?

Thanks,
Old 02-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
Tech Regular

cant mix and match, and you eventually will lose cryastals coz you will need at least 2 sets of crystals for each transmitter, will get too confusing in the end.

spctrum tx/rx system $140
extra receivers $60

vs

$20 a set of crystals

in long run works out cheaper. and more convenient.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Unhappy

I all ready have DSM, I use in my TC4. I will buy other DSM receivers. But also have a Synthesized FM 75 mhz module for the futaba. And in the rc18t, I want my girl to use the Airtronics controller with it. But I would like to still use the fubata with it as well, without having to change the receiver out very time.

Are we talking about there is NOT one Receiver out there that will talk to all manufacture of transmitters?

Nick
Old 02-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
Tech Regular

hitec make one, not sure on model number....
Old 02-03-2006, 01:25 AM   #9
Tech Regular

I check both Hitec FM Receivers will work with Airtronics transmitters, but you have to install Airtronics crystals.

Does anyone know of a receiver that will work with all types of radios with out changing out crystals?

And for your radio tech, does the FSK happen in the crystals?

Thanks for all your time and help.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:26 AM   #10
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Novak XXtra
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote