Like Tree54Likes

Which F1 for 2018?

Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Funny thing about the standard centre pivot design is that you can just not fully crank down the screws holding it to chassis since the locknuts won't vibrate loose. Leave the centre pivot "football" just loose enough so that it can't bind the suspension. I have run my X1 for 3 years like this and I do the same with my X12. It has the exact same effect as the AE and Serpent designs if you do it right.
freebird likes this.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Fenix mistral I am very happy so far on crc black carpet. Car keeps getting better.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aracefan View Post
a "T" bar. I think (just my opinion, mind you) that any of them could work on any surface. I haven't run an F1 on asphalt in a long time but have seen on here, among other places that the TRF102 works well on asphalt - and yes, the complete Exotek front end will only make it better.

The original poster "sounds" as though he has experience with F1 class,
"Cant decide on which F1 platform to run next year. ..." makes it sound as though he/she is just looking to change things up (ie, a new brand or something).

Honestly, I'm not really sure what the op is looking for, as no info is given about the track that the new chassis will be run at. I just threw a bunch out there - and there are even more choices.

Such as the TRG 117 conversion (always wanted to build one of these up)

I plan to run on an asphalt track...Speedworld rc in Sacramento...Have you guys had any experience with any of the other manufactures than the Tamiya TRF102 on asphalt?
G-rem likes this.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:53 PM
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

At Speedworld, the fast guys run Roche and Xray. I would not bother with a TRF102, and yes I've owned one.
liljohn1064 and vivo quevas like this.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Yep, we run Roche Evo

I have tried almost every car.

with Ride GR front tires and Ride R1 or Volante Soft rears

I just raced an AE, borrowed, and i was instantly 4 tenths slower, even after setup

I would buy a Roche or Xray and then you can get help and have people that have parts etc

Also note: we run F1 with 21.5 motors. 25.5 is full throttle entire track and a waste, so we stuck with 21.5. See my sig for the fast motor....
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Yep, we run Roche Evo

I have tried almost every car.

with Ride GR front tires and Ride R1 or Volante Soft rears

I just raced an AE, borrowed, and i was instantly 4 tenths slower, even after setup
I have to ask about this. What were your setup changes. I ran the car this summer on asphalt against some quick guys with Xray's, Roche's, and VBC's. I did have problem for the first couple week and one simple change made all the difference in the world.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Rick Howart will send out his setup for the AE car. Can't imagine it would be slow!!
Old 11-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Any of the latest crop of F1's are (or should type, can be) competitive. . . Tires and driving.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (97%+)

How’s the serpent F1 car ?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hopefully the Roche's aren't back ordered soon. Thanks for the info, everyone!
Old 11-16-2017, 12:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rcforlife13 View Post
How’s the serpent F1 car ?
The serpent is realy fast and competitive with his aluminium chassis plate. Work great on carpet out of the box , but also on asphalt.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson View Post
I have to ask about this. What were your setup changes. I ran the car this summer on asphalt against some quick guys with Xray's, Roche's, and VBC's. I did have problem for the first couple week and one simple change made all the difference in the world.
Pretty much everything I could do without parts. Tried to get it as similar to my Roche as possible

Ackerman, so links are straight, raised the wing and tightened the diff until it didn't diff out on exit. Biggest change was less pod droop, made a huge difference, about .5mm total

we always run the Roche, on our big asphalt track, with almost no rear droop
Old 11-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Pretty much everything I could do without parts. Tried to get it as similar to my Roche as possible

Ackerman, so links are straight, raised the wing and tightened the diff until it didn't diff out on exit. Biggest change was less pod droop, made a huge difference, about .5mm total

we always run the Roche, on our big asphalt track, with almost no rear droop
I can tell you the more significant change I made outdoors was the front wing. Moving to the Protoform wing made the car night and day different. Indoors, the AE wing is great but outdoors at higher speeds it creates a lot of down-force which was causing the car to spin a lot.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson View Post
I can tell you the more significant change I made outdoors was the front wing. Moving to the Protoform wing made the car night and day different. Indoors, the AE wing is great but outdoors at higher speeds it creates a lot of down-force which was causing the car to spin a lot.
Didn't have any spin issues. We need the high front downforce, every car at our track runs the AE front wing, it adds the needed steering.

car had mega rear grip, even with the 21.5 we run on our outdoor asphalt.

Smart that you realize wings make a difference, not many F1 guys think they do, but it's mega.

Appreciate the comments!
Old 11-17-2017, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Between the Roche and the Xray does one have any substantial advantage in durability?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service