Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2018 Reedy International Touring Car Race of Champions! >

2018 Reedy International Touring Car Race of Champions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree135Likes

2018 Reedy International Touring Car Race of Champions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
There’s always going to an advantage for being local to a track. Tire sauce is a tuning option that most racers today seem lazy to experiment with. Racing isn’t fair. Spec racing isn’t equal in many aspects. It’s awesome that you came all the way from another country to support an awesome event. But I doubt you would’ve finished any higher should you have had the “best traction sauce”. If you went to the pits and asked everyone what they were using. You definitely would’ve gotten many different answers. Buggy grip baked in for 10-20 minutes is my preferred tire prep at the Tamiya track. For the ones wanting a spec sauce. If the sauce works you’ll love it. If the sauce fades. You’ll complain it sucks. And then rumors will hit the pits that someone is only fast because he cheating. Spec tires, roar rules are enough. Anymore rules and we might as well all run hand out tyco cars because someone might be a better mechanic than me as well. Let’s not forget about who was fast because they were given some new motor that only his drivers had access to. What I’m trying to say is simple. Don’t over complicate things. Just go have fun. Where ever you end up is we’re you should be. Racing isn’t supposed to be fair or equal. I enjoy trying to find an edge to help me win. And if someone prepared better than me. Then that’s my fault.
my friend you have many flaws in your claim. 1. tyco cars (I have no idea what that is but I get what you're trying to say) for everybody is over exaggeration to say the least. 2. complaining about spec sauce when it's not working: it's not really an issue because when it's not really working, it's not working for everybody. So fair field. If you make it work while the others don't, you win the race and kudos for you. No matter what, at least it's fair start. 3. you're the one over complicating things with your sauce theory lol 4. If you have to bake a manufactured tire sauce to make it work, you might be doing something wrong mechanically or cheating cuz it sounds like you make the sauce a glue consistency 5. Your claim "racing isn't fair" is legit. But not because of sauce locals use, but because of driving skills, set up of the car and support behind the driver. 5. Your comment " you would not have finished any better even with best tire sauce" contradicts your own thoughts and a little harsh for him. If his result would be the same with whatever sauce for him, it would've been the same for you. Then why do you even go through that baking process yourself?
To finish in a friendly note, I praise you that you shared how you prep your tire sauce for Tamiya track. I really don't like "locals always have advantage because of their local secrets" shit. That means they don't share. Even in my neck of the wood, some cheat on their motor and battery and who knows what and they do not share and always hush hush. If it takes a local secret for you to win or close to winning a race, maybe you don't deserve the spot you landed on.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snuvet75
my friend you have many flaws in your claim. 1. tyco cars (I have no idea what that is but I get what you're trying to say) for everybody is over exaggeration to say the least. 2. complaining about spec sauce when it's not working: it's not really an issue because when it's not really working, it's not working for everybody. So fair field. If you make it work while the others don't, you win the race and kudos for you. No matter what, at least it's fair start. 3. you're the one over complicating things with your sauce theory lol 4. If you have to bake a manufactured tire sauce to make it work, you might be doing something wrong mechanically or cheating cuz it sounds like you make the sauce a glue consistency 5. Your claim "racing isn't fair" is legit. But not because of sauce locals use, but because of driving skills, set up of the car and support behind the driver. 5. Your comment " you would not have finished any better even with best tire sauce" contradicts your own thoughts and a little harsh for him. If his result would be the same with whatever sauce for him, it would've been the same for you. Then why do you even go through that baking process yourself?
To finish in a friendly note, I praise you that you shared how you prep your tire sauce for Tamiya track. I really don't like "locals always have advantage because of their local secrets" shit. That means they don't share. Even in my neck of the wood, some cheat on their motor and battery and who knows what and they do not share and always hush hush. If it takes a local secret for you to win or close to winning a race, maybe you don't deserve the spot you landed on.
It is one thing to argue for spec tire sauce rule and another to try to bashing local people for having more experience than you on that particular track. Rules are rules and you can do your best to try to alter it to your favor and in the name of "fairness" and we are okay with it. I think I rather look at it more towards if the rule change people propose will have a net positive effect on turnout, race participation, race experience. As a local I certainly have my way of prepping tires and bigger knowledge base on what to do in situations, but you can't claim it is a secret or unfair advantage. If rule change, locals will adapt and have more time to test setup than you weeks before the race anyways so what can you do? But if going to spec tire sauce improves overall experiencer for most of the racers then I'm all for it.
Tyree Phillips likes this.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

All of us AZ guys love the Reedy Race at Tamiya and look forward to it every year. As far as tire sauce goes, I know there are many different ways to prep and a lot of the fast guys have their own methods and sauce they use. Doesn't bother me at all that the locals get to test more. I love the challenge
Old 02-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What works for one local doesn’t work for the next local.... on the same tire.. FACT!!
Old 02-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

If you want to ‘take the advantage away from the local’ change the track layout.. spec tire sauce does nothing but induce more ‘moving chicanes and landmines’
Old 02-05-2018, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OSherman
If you want to ‘take the advantage away from the local’ change the track layout.. spec tire sauce does nothing but induce more ‘moving chicanes and landmines’
I don't agree with the second part, but do agree that experience is the biggest advantage the locals (or those who have raced at Tamiya many times) have.

"Handout" sauce would mean:
1. Designated sauce area
2. No tire warmers
3. Policing by racers
4. No tire impound.

Basically the same rules as the Invitational class other than the tire impound and sauce time limit (like off-road Open class rules).
Pickthall likes this.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

If people are saying...that tire sauce creates no advantage than that would be a great reason to move the race to spec sauce. Whether it is a real problem or not the perception is that tire sauce plays a huge role in the racing results for Tamiya. I am not saying it is true or not but it does not change the fact that people feel impacted by it. Lot's of home brews and secret methods being applied to the saucing strategy.

I personally think it would be a great improvement to go to spec sauce that is available at the track. Coming from far away and having to fly to the race creates issues around what sauce to bring and what is working on the given conditions. Some years the track is sprayed and sometimes not. The unfair advantage is that everyone was under the impression that the surface would be prepped for 2017 and we showed up and found out that there would be no track prep. This has an impact and you cannot expect people that are not from that area to know all of the ins and outs of the surface at any given time.

There is nothing that will replace track time at Tamiya I think everyone understands that, but spending thousands of dollars to fly and compete at Reedy Race would be much better knowing that we were all on the same sauce and were not getting beat because some local spent 3 months figuring out the perfect mixture of sauce and exactly how to apply it on a surface that is quite unique. I would rather get whipped by better driving and car setup.

Either way I will be there to figure it out but it sure would be nice to eliminate a huge headache.

I would love to see every class follow the same format as invite (for tires and sauce) but logistically this could be a big challenge.
KenGerb likes this.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i for one cannot wait to watch Kyle, Gee and Sam run Invite. i might need to run mod tc just to provide car setup 'mules' for the boys...
GrandeGixxer and !Mad Max! like this.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Reinhardt cohelo and the rest of the guys that are consistently in the top 3 figure it out.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
Reinhardt cohelo and the rest of the guys that are consistently in the top 3 figure it out.
They race in invite, which has spec sauce!!

At the end of the day, the rules are what ever they are. Sauce rules won't stop me hopefully coming and doing the race again some day as it's a great race but it would be a lot easier if I didn't have to guess what I needed to bring with me on a plane.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I don't agree with the second part, but do agree that experience is the biggest advantage the locals (or those who have raced at Tamiya many times) have.

"Handout" sauce would mean:
1. Designated sauce area
2. No tire warmers
3. Policing by racers
4. No tire impound.

Basically the same rules as the Invitational class other than the tire impound and sauce time limit (like off-road Open class rules).
my comment comes from my experience/preference in tire sauce vs that of sir-RodCanare. His sauce of choice makes my car spin in the high speed corners... FACT, unfortunately.

We could tie this to a lot of different factors, but we are talking about the TAMIYA track here..

whatever the decision i will still partake, just bringing a little 'local insite' to the table

$0.02
Tyree Phillips likes this.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

In that case, I would think everyone should be on spec tires and spec sauce then. It shouldn’t be a different rule set for invite and open in my opinion. I don’t have any money in the game since I’m not going though.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

I can drive an hour most any weekend to get my ass kicked by Gee and Issacs, I don’t need to fly to Cali to do it!
skater-deez1 likes this.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
There is nothing that will replace track time at Tamiya I think everyone understands that, but spending thousands of dollars to fly and compete at Reedy Race would be much better knowing that we were all on the same sauce and were not getting beat because some local spent 3 months figuring out the perfect mixture of sauce and exactly how to apply it on a surface that is quite unique. I would rather get whipped by better driving and car setup.

Either way I will be there to figure it out but it sure would be nice to eliminate a huge headache.
This.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
3. Policing by racers
4. No tire impound.
No bueno...
If a spec sauce then the rule must be managed properly or it will not do what it intends to do...
OSherman likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.