Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2018 Reedy International Touring Car Race of Champions! >

2018 Reedy International Touring Car Race of Champions!

Like Tree135Likes

2018 Reedy International Touring Car Race of Champions!

Old 01-31-2018, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Planning on making the trip from Australia. Will the track be open at all for practice leading up to the event or will it be closed?
Old 01-31-2018, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A Ilievski View Post
Planning on making the trip from Australia. Will the track be open at all for practice leading up to the event or will it be closed?
The track is only open for Tamiya cars on certain days. Occasionally there is a all brands club race but you might have a few per year. So, based on your signature I'd say you would have to wait til the event to run.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lpittman View Post
Spec sauce for all classes by chance?
Why?
Old 01-31-2018, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia View Post
Why?
The reedy race is notorious in the open classes for locals having a sauce advantage. Heck, even lying about it. I think its a great idea to have everyone on a spec sauce at all races.
Casey, Scott B, dizzy1 and 4 others like this.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
The reedy race is notorious in the open classes for locals having a sauce advantage. Heck, even lying about it. I think its a great idea to have everyone on a spec sauce at all races.
Asphalt spec sauce sucks. Thatís part of the tuning and racing advantage or disadvantage for racers. The only reason to have a spec sauce is on the rug. Itís been proven mixing different traction compounds ruins the carpet.
trigger, Jack Kloeber and silden like this.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Any words on spec tire for this year? Thanks
Old 02-01-2018, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
It shows you are in Invite class so it's automatically spec tire sauce for you
Old 02-01-2018, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think for the average racer and for the this kind of iconic event a spec tire sauce is the right direction. It gets rid of the secret tire treatment with multiple tire sauces and make it easier for the average race to show up and compete.

Patrick
snuvet75 likes this.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:49 PM
Tech Champion

In principle I would like the spec sauce... but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen...

Rough example but;
150 racers x 4 sets of tires = 2400 tires that must be managed and held in tech. That can be an issue unless you have an army running tech.
tandman likes this.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia View Post
Asphalt spec sauce sucks. Thatís part of the tuning and racing advantage or disadvantage for racers. The only reason to have a spec sauce is on the rug. Itís been proven mixing different traction compounds ruins the carpet.
What is considered spec sauce?
Old 02-02-2018, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
What is considered spec sauce?
Whatever the organisers decide everyone should be using.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Whatever the organisers decide everyone should be using.
I know and I agree with you but that's not my question. It was directed to Juan who says "spec sauce" sucks so I wanted to know what he was referring to and how he came to that conclusion cuz his statement seems way too generalizing and biased is all.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tire Sauce plays heavily into how a car 'works'... One persons DrivingStyle may not be the same as others. In this day of RC its considered by a lot to be another aspect of 'tuning'. Changing your sauce can effectively change how your car feels, and one sauce can require an entirely different setup than another

$0.02
Old 02-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Spec sauce can have it's benefits for sure. As someone who travelled to the race from the UK last year, I know I'd have been much happier if there had been a spec sauce. As it was, I had no real idea what to run, so decided that I'd run the same as invite as it would have at least been "OK".

I had good pace, in some rounds, as good as the top 5 in open mod, but couldn't maintain it for 5 mins. I later found out that the mixed sauce many of the locals were using, was known for being able to hold on longer into the run, and that what I was running was known for being fast for the opening minute and fading! So for me, yeah, I'd have been happier with a spec.

I don't buy that it's a "tuning" thing personally.
snuvet75 likes this.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

There’s always going to an advantage for being local to a track. Tire sauce is a tuning option that most racers today seem lazy to experiment with. Racing isn’t fair. Spec racing isn’t equal in many aspects. It’s awesome that you came all the way from another country to support an awesome event. But I doubt you would’ve finished any higher should you have had the “best traction sauce”. If you went to the pits and asked everyone what they were using. You definitely would’ve gotten many different answers. Buggy grip baked in for 10-20 minutes is my preferred tire prep at the Tamiya track. For the ones wanting a spec sauce. If the sauce works you’ll love it. If the sauce fades. You’ll complain it sucks. And then rumors will hit the pits that someone is only fast because he cheating. Spec tires, roar rules are enough. Anymore rules and we might as well all run hand out tyco cars because someone might be a better mechanic than me as well. Let’s not forget about who was fast because they were given some new motor that only his drivers had access to. What I’m trying to say is simple. Don’t over complicate things. Just go have fun. Where ever you end up is we’re you should be. Racing isn’t supposed to be fair or equal. I enjoy trying to find an edge to help me win. And if someone prepared better than me. Then that’s my fault.
OSherman, tandman and GrandeGixxer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service