Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ThePanda

1/10 Drift “kit”

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 1/10 Drift “kit”

My son is looking for a drift car. I was thinking of getting him one for Christmas, but I want him to get a kit and assemble it, instead of a RTR car.

He's pointed out the 3racing Sakura kit. Are there any tamiya kits that would be comparable to, or better than
that? I would be willing to pay a little more if he could get a car that was versatile enough to be a drifter, and handle well as a touring race car. I’m also not fond of the belts on the Sakura kit. Long term support is also important to me.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

The 3 racing d4 kit is a great drifter, but its not designed to run normal touring tires.

as far as tamiya is concerned, their only "serious drift oriented" cars are the ta05 VDF series and tb03 VDS. Both can be made to handle decently with touring car tires, but both have carbon plate chassis, and will get wrecked up pretty bad on rough asphalt.

nearly any touring car can drift well with a set of drift tires. mid level tamiya kits that would make good drifters as well as touring car racers include the ta07, xv01 and tb04. lots of people also run tt01/tt02 cars, but they aren't much less than the other cars once you factor in a few upgrades.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think the Sakura vehicles. Had been running a D3 for 4+ years with no problems. And very little maintenance. I gave the D4 a try in RWD form but didn’t have right surface. Both are available as kits.
There is also the brand MST. I believe they offer both kit and RTR versions.

And like previous post. You can make about any touring car drift.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Tech Rookie

How hardcore do you think your son will become with drifting? A hardcore drift car will be belt driven and most likely be set up as a "countersteer" car, or CS for short. This means the front wheels will be underdriven compared to the rear wheels, and spin slower. Remember in Cars when Doc Hudson said "turn left to go right"? That is countersteer. Real drift cars are only RWD (Ken Block being the most notable exception), and because they are RWD they need to countersteer in order to drift.
However, drifting a RWD R/C car is extremely difficult, and I've only seen maybe 2 or 3 people ever be able to pull it off without a gyro in the vehicle helping them out. If you can drift a RWD R/C without a gyro you are probably either a fighter pilot or a surgeon (or both) because the reaction time and hand-eye coordination needed is absolutely insane.
In the R/C world a compromise is made in order to make the car look and handle more realistically to a real car. Because the rear wheels spin faster than the fronts the vehicle will handle more like a RWD car when drifting, and you can countersteer more aggressively. However because the front tires are spinning they have less traction than they would with a RWD car, so the rear end isn't trying to swap ends with the front as much. Not to say that it won't, but the learning curve to drift a CS 4WD car isn't as steep.
This is important because this means the car's driveline will break if you try to put sticky on road tires onto it and drive it around without reconfiguring the belts, and even if you do reconfigure the belts the car will only handle mediocrely at best and at worst really really poorly. I've never seen it done but inherently they were never designed to run with sticky tires. The steering angle is much much greater with a drift car kit like the Sakura D4, and the weight distribution is very different between a Sakura D4 and your average TC kit like the TT01.
However, a touring car with drift tires will drift and it will be controllable. It won't look as realistic, but it will be lots of fun. I actually got hooked into drifting because I wrapped my Redcat Lightning EPX's rubber tires with packaging tape and slid around my driveway for a little while until the tape wore through. And believe me, I had a HUGE smile on my face when I was done
If I were you I would get a Team Associated APEX kit:
You can get it for $100 and then use the $10 off coupon through Tower and get it for $90. It is a good chassis that will handle well with rubber tires but still allow you to slide around with plastic tires. I'd give you a link but my post count is too low and you can't add links until you have a certain number of posts for some reason. Grrr...
Anyways check out Tower Hobbies for the $10 off coupon. You will need components like electronics, a body, and wheels and tires, but the kit is a good deal for what you get.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:51 PM
Tech Regular

What about XV-01? It has similar payout to D3, but works also as touring (especially in TC version) and rally car.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I don’t think he’ll do anything more than just play around in the parking lot with it. I’m leaning towards the APEX since it’ll also make a good touring car and should have good parts support.

Thanks for all of the feedback, I appreciate it!