R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #46
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,586
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Few people here have any idea what is going on with unions. I get to go to work everyday and watch all the "lazy" people work their asses off. <<Note sarcasm. I realize that there are lazy people at any job, but the above statements just prove how ignorant of unions most people are, and how effective the corporate anti-union campaign has been. Very simply, technological gains in the last 50 years have eliminated most production problems, and minimized costs...where do you look for the last cost to eliminate?

Squeeze your workforce.

I really wish I knew where the antipathy towards unions came from. Certainly not from the families whose lives have been bettered because of a living wage, healthcare, better working conditions, etc... I really worry about the direction of our country.

Oh, BTW enjoy your 8 hr workday, and weekend, courtesy Union Labor.
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #47
Tech Adept
 
Twin-Kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Puce,ONT Canada
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3
perfect example of what i am saying is,i had a local R/C company come to me to quote on making aluminum T maxx wheel,i quoted him $8.00 each for qty of 100 pc.his target selling price was $44.99 per pair.this is plenty of profit if you ask me for doing nothing but making a phone call.well,he decided to get them from china for $2.50 per pair.he is still selling them for $44.99.I couldnt even get the material for that price!!this in my eyes is just greed and it will catch up with him

This is the sign of the times we live in and something we all need to be concerned about.
It's only going to get worse!!
Twin-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:59 PM   #48
Tech Lord
 
protc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Spring Hill,Florida
Posts: 10,838
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

exactly!!that is why if i ever outsource to anyplace i always keep it here.
i am going to be releasing a 1/12th pan car in a month or 2 and it is all being made in house.all parts that i purchase for it that i will not be manufacturing will be bought here.im sure i can outsource to china or taiwan and tripple my profits but that is not what im about.everything that leaves my shop is 100% inspected and i still am going to be competitive with all the other 1/12th cars in price.the same goes with all of my chassis kits.i go above and beyond what the cars come with.i bevel all the edges,champher the battery slots,use higher grade(more expensive) carbon fiber and smoothe the edges for C/A glue and am still either the same price as stock or cheaper.now if china is so inexpensive and keeps the consumers price down,how can i do that and still be in business?you know what i mean?im not trying to be a prick,i just hate seeing this happen.
__________________
Jason Breiner
BMI Racing
Team Associated
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #49
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk
Few people here have any idea what is going on with unions. I get to go to work everyday and watch all the "lazy" people work their asses off. <<Note sarcasm. I realize that there are lazy people at any job, but the above statements just prove how ignorant of unions most people are, and how effective the corporate anti-union campaign has been. Very simply, technological gains in the last 50 years have eliminated most production problems, and minimized costs...where do you look for the last cost to eliminate?

Squeeze your workforce.

I really wish I knew where the antipathy towards unions came from. Certainly not from the families whose lives have been bettered because of a living wage, healthcare, better working conditions, etc... I really worry about the direction of our country.

Oh, BTW enjoy your 8 hr workday, and weekend, courtesy Union Labor.

I work in the Auto industry,non union,unfortunatly,I just wish I had a eight hr work day and weekends off.The sector of the economy I work in is disintegrating rapidly,and within the next 10-15 years will go the way of the textile industry.Lazy people in the work place is every where and has nothing to do with unions,that's for sure.Free trade is what killed OUR economy and is helping bolster everybody else's.We now have a world economy,and sadly it's causing our standard of living to deterioate,the rich are getting richer and the rest of us are getting poorer,there's nothing we can do to stop it now it's too late,the ball is rolling.It's a known fact that the United States will be the service sector of the new world economy,if you want work in another sector you will have to find out where in the world that sector is thriving and move there.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #50
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 900
Default

Jason, I'm not advocating outsourcing to China, but the evidence is that WE are the problem here, as we buy the stuff. Please go round your house and find out how many products you use are made in your own country. As a visitor to the USA quite regularly, I have watched the goods in your shops go from 'Made in USA' to 'Made in China'. Those goods are not sold exclusively to visitors...!

Hyper1, sadly free trade did not kill our economies. At the time that Japanese products became popular in the UK and the US, there were strict import rules, limitations and tariffs. In Europe, the car and video recorder markets were strictly controlled on Japanese market share during the 1970s. Nonetheless, WE bought them, and demanded more of them.

Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher were voted in by people fed up with regulation, wanting de-regulated markets to allow them to do what they liked - us, really. So they said their policy was to de-regulate, and we voted them in to do it - there's that WE again.

When they came to power in 1979/80, the USA was the biggest economy on earth, with a surplus. By the time they left power in 1988/92, the USA was the biggest debtor nation on Earth, and the UK had undergone it's worst recession for 15 years. And World Trade was de-regulated... WE did that, not them, by voting them in to power.

In Germany, they are very reluctant to buy foreign-made products, and their economy did very well. Re-unification has knocked them off course a bit, but they are still not keen on Japanese/Chinese products. Although Germany lives in the same newly de-regulated world, they buy German goods in the main, so their manufacturing does reasonably well. It's changing, but that approach lasted longer there, than it did in the US/UK.

The UK is now a service economy. It has its good points, if you are in a service industry it is very hard for the Chinese to import a skilled tradesman (plumber, electrician, etc.) or provide banking and insurance services. However, it has its downside - it is rather difficult to build a high standard of living for everyone if all you do is sell each other burgers!! (That is a joke, but it has a ring of truth if you think about it. Manufacturing adds value, and service industries don't, in the main).

Hey - all this because a couple of people bought a bad top-deck!!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #51
Tech Champion
 
YR4Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,625
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3
perfect example of what i am saying is,i had a local R/C company come to me to quote on making aluminum T maxx wheel,i quoted him $8.00 each for qty of 100 pc.his target selling price was $44.99 per pair.this is plenty of profit if you ask me for doing nothing but making a phone call.well,he decided to get them from china for $2.50 per pair.he is still selling them for $44.99.I couldnt even get the material for that price!!this in my eyes is just greed and it will catch up with him
44.99 is the price that the LHS will sell to the ultimate user. But before that, the LHS will have bought it from your guy for about $28 - $30. If there was a distributor involved then your guy will probably sell it for less than $20 a pair. Okay $12 profit, not bad but your guy had to buy your $8 wheels then send them to another vendor to make the packaging and package the wheels for another $2 -$3 a pair. Okay now its less than $10 a pair for profit, for which he still has to pay promotional costs, warehousing costs and other distribution costs in order for him to get his product to the market. So after all that do want this guy to stay in business because he is making good money or throw in the towel because it just wasn't worth while?

The guy had to go with the cheapest cost because he is taking a "risk" by being in business. Its not certain that the wheels will sell out. If it does then great success, if it doesn't then you hope your losses are minimal (hence cost). So where's the greed in that?
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:21 AM   #52
Tech Master
 
Ivan Dickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cali Love USA
Posts: 1,643
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat
I go to purchacse a top plate for my T2 come back home and the darn thing dosen't fit, I never had a tweak issue with my car but soon as I installed it my car was like a rocking chair I fix the problem just by enlarging the hole but thats beside the point. the plate only cost 25 buck but when you travel 75 miles to my LHS come to come back and it doesn't fit, it kinda get you hot, I have not had the rear toe issue with my T2 as other racers have posted. but it makes me wonder about companies standard for the quick buck first and quality second.

Maybe I should go back to model railroading
Good point makes a lot of sense.
__________________
SPECIAL THANKS TO ✦ MY WIFE ✦✦ MOTIV RC ✦✦ GRAVITY RC ✦✦ JGO PAINTZ ✦✦ TQ RC RACEWAY ✦✦ TAMIYA RACEWAY ✦
Ivan Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:32 AM   #53
Tech Regular
 
jbenthobbies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 374
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default top deck problem

It sounds like the top deck was designed wrong. I have a Masters in manufacturing. The only way a deck like that would be cut wrong is because the operator put in the wrong info.,
__________________
AKA, KO, EAMotorsports, Redsrc. Capricorn
jbenthobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:17 AM   #54
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 835
Default

Interesting slower one,I will have to do some further research on the topic before I can reply,you may be right.I do agree that Americans seem to have a way to shoot themselves in the foot a lot of times.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:20 AM   #55
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
If most Americans had the work ethics of those countries half the problems in the US would go away!!
EA
Grow a brain, think a bit, then think again, AND THEN post your thoughts.

Or better yet, I vote you pack your bags and go off to work in "those countries."

Last edited by Jim Ryan; 02-03-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Jim Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:17 AM   #56
Tech Lord
 
protc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Spring Hill,Florida
Posts: 10,838
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude
44.99 is the price that the LHS will sell to the ultimate user. But before that, the LHS will have bought it from your guy for about $28 - $30. If there was a distributor involved then your guy will probably sell it for less than $20 a pair. Okay $12 profit, not bad but your guy had to buy your $8 wheels then send them to another vendor to make the packaging and package the wheels for another $2 -$3 a pair. Okay now its less than $10 a pair for profit, for which he still has to pay promotional costs, warehousing costs and other distribution costs in order for him to get his product to the market. So after all that do want this guy to stay in business because he is making good money or throw in the towel because it just wasn't worth while?

The guy had to go with the cheapest cost because he is taking a "risk" by being in business. Its not certain that the wheels will sell out. If it does then great success, if it doesn't then you hope your losses are minimal (hence cost). So where's the greed in that?

sorry dude,you are sadly mistaken the actual costs of doing business.this guy is a distributor who has alot of his own products also.he sells to hobby stores at a 50% off an inflated retail price.they will sell to the hobby store for around 34 bucks a pair.the advertisement cost is minimal and both my prices and chinas pricing included packaging.the point is,you buy material over there not even knowing what it is,the people are making next to nothing for wages,and you are ok with this?man,i am going to stop posting on this thread because i am just getting frustrated on some of these responses.i will end it like this.those of you that feel that this free trade is great will soon find out that it is a problem when some company in china put you out of a job because they have employees working for $0.30 per hour.wow,and you say its our own fault.why dont you take a pay cut and work for that?let me know how it works out.
__________________
Jason Breiner
BMI Racing
Team Associated
J Concepts

Last edited by protc3; 02-03-2006 at 04:28 AM.
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:58 AM   #57
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: UCLA
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3
sorry dude,you are sadly mistaken the actual costs of doing business.this guy is a distributor who has alot of his own products also.he sells to hobby stores at a 50% off an inflated retail price.they will sell to the hobby store for around 34 bucks a pair.the advertisement cost is minimal and both my prices and chinas pricing included packaging.the point is,you buy material over there not even knowing what it is,the people are making next to nothing for wages,and you are ok with this?man,i am going to stop posting on this thread because i am just getting frustrated on some of these responses.i will end it like this.those of you that feel that this free trade is great will soon find out that it is a problem when some company in china put you out of a job because they have employees working for $0.30 per hour.wow,and you say its our own fault.why dont you take a pay cut and work for that?let me know how it works out.
I don't really understand why you are trying to make an $8 T-Maxx wheel in the U.S. trying to compete with China in the first place, I thought the money is in the aerospace, military, prototyping and so forth.
RickyIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #58
Tech Champion
 
YR4Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,625
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3
.....those of you that feel that this free trade is great will soon find out that it is a problem when some company in china put you out of a job because they have employees working for $0.30 per hour.wow,and you say its our own fault.why dont you take a pay cut and work for that?let me know how it works out....
I am not trying to argue with you because I too used to be in the manufacturing field. However, you can't stop free trade. Yes, we will lose these jobs to competitive out sourcing from China and throughout Asia. But look at it this way, we also lost many jobs domestically to cheap labor coming from across the border.

Are these the jobs we want?

We all should strive for jobs that are better than that which can not be replaced by cheap labor or even worse, a machine. So bye, bye, labor intensive, long hours, lousy pay with no benefits, poor environment job. Please take it and make some good cheap products so that I may spend the paycheck from my IT, Biotech, high tech job and buy twice to maybe three times more of everything cheap labor makes.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #59
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ryan
FU

Grow a brain, think a bit, then think again, AND THEN post your thoughts.

Or better yet, I vote you pack your bags and go off to work in "those countries."
You have a PM.....And I have a brain and use it quite a bit....I would exlain my answer but I figure it will go WAY over your head and I figure your not worth the time when you post stuff like the quote above.

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #60
Tech Elite
 
TPhalen's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Brookfield, CT
Posts: 2,793
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

My 2c.

It only takes ONE company to outsource to another country. ONE. Why? Once this company does, it forces all the other companies (in that said industry) to TRY to compete, price wise. Can they? Probably not. So, company 'two' outsources...then company 'three', etc. Viscious circle.

If you CAN compete by outsourcing to US manufacturers, congrats. But, IMO, it's only gonna get harder.

The only way to beat it is to join it...ultimately. As much as that sucks to say...

Again, my 2c.
__________________
Tony Phalen
UF1 Team Lotus/Renault
RCDriver.com
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full set of RC tools...Losi standards and metrics, everything u will need!!! DotyThe8ight R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 17 08-13-2007 11:23 AM
What manufactering standards do you want to see in a touring car,all companies.... dawgmeat Electric On-Road 8 02-07-2006 12:25 PM
hot days apla Nitro On-Road 8 03-30-2005 10:38 AM
anyone just had one of those days..? thumpin15s Monster Trucks 17 02-11-2005 08:10 AM
ever had one of those days? beetlebz Electric Off-Road 50 01-04-2005 08:04 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:19 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net