R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #16
Tech Rookie

Make sure that the bearing that fits into the spur gear slides in smooth and free. If you are having to push the bearing into the spur gear you may find that it will make the diff feel gritty or "lumpy" (the bearing is being compressed and does not run free). Try sanding the inside of the spur gear with some 200-400 grit sand paper until the bearing slides in and out. This is a very important step that is usually forgotten but makes a HUGE difference.

Try it if have time and see what happens.
jposthumus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:51 AM   #17
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Colin85

THX, i will do, i know i did have to stuff it in their cause i changed the spur to a 76 tooth 48p. hopefully that works
Colin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Colin, take a real close look at the bearing that holds the spur gear. On a 12L4 diff it is flanged, and the flange must be on the left of the spur gear (looking from the back of the car)

If you get that the wrong way round, so the bearing that holds the spur gear has its flange on the right, then when you tighten the diff, all the bearings crash into one another before the D rings clamp the diff balls. On some diffs, you still get drive, but the diff action is awful.

I suggest this because you say you built the diff from new - so did I, but of course I wouldn't have made this mistake, so this is just a wild guess!!

HTH
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #19
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Colin85

no that was one of the first things i looked at, but i think it might be good for now, ill order up some new bearings
Colin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:05 AM   #20
Tech Regular

You don't need to order new bearings to check the outer bearing. Just switch it with the bearing on the inside of the hub. It should be fine there because there isn't any side load.

If you overtighten the bearing on the first time it will be toast. Spinning the diff while you tighten will help but sometimes it just happens.

If you need bearings shoot me a PM...I gave ceramic kits that are pretty cheap. They've been holding up pretty well on the diff and they're really good on the axle.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default diff

Colin, You may want to seriously look into Slapmasters diff thrust bearing assembly. I've put it in my car over a year ago and haven't touched it since. It's as smooth as they come and last significantly longer.
arn671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:53 PM   #22
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Switch Blade

I dont know if this was mentioned, but take the time to make sure the ride height inserts in the rear slide in and out of the pod plates smoothly...if you need to force them in then sand or remove some of the material until they fit withough added force. You could probobly also sand the part of the insert where the bearing is placed if it takes a lot to push the bearing in also
Old 02-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #23
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Switch Blade

hmm, I forgot this was a diff thread so maybe my advice is not directly related to what you need, but still