Like Tree291Likes

Gizmo Racing GZ2!!!

Old 10-24-2017, 05:19 PM
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Let's mention the addition of a pretty good racer (to say the least) to the team.

Kody Knudtson is now on board with Gizmo Racing. Kody will be campaigning his GZ2 in the PNW for the next season and comes on board as an essential part of our racing team. Welcome aboard Kody!

We have quite a few other really fast guys in the process or on the fence about joining the team. I have a feeling it will be a good racing season for Gizmo!
Wow Kody is on Board that's great
el salvador and idbdoug like this.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Let's mention the addition of a pretty good racer (to say the least) to the team.

Kody Knudtson is now on board with Gizmo Racing. Kody will be campaigning his GZ2 in the PNW for the next season and comes on board as an essential part of our racing team. Welcome aboard Kody!

We have quite a few other really fast guys in the process or on the fence about joining the team. I have a feeling it will be a good racing season for Gizmo!
What a great acquisition to the team! Really good landing, Cristian!
JoshuaRC10 likes this.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Cristian - the shop is really confusing. Says GZ2A but details are for the carpet car and vice versa.

Really like the car! I'm not allowed to buy any more cars this year but end of the year is coming soon haha. I may have to consider getting one of these to try out next year
Old 10-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

A few months ago I was pretty bored with my T4'17 and decided to pick up a Gizmo as a project car while I waited for the T4'18 to arrive. I've been watching the car for a while, and the announcement about the high grip conversion was enough to win me over.

I thought the Gizmo would be an Awesomatix with legacy shocks. I mean, that's how it looks in pictures, and they do share a lot of DNA. Most people agree that Awesomatix is now the apex predator of on-road racing, but some of us prefer legacy shocks for our own various reasons. And to be honest, the car builds and wrenches very much like an Awesomatix. What I didn't expect is just how dramatic the center motor design has on the feel and handling of this car on the track. It's truly different and in a class of its own. I've driven a lot of cars and this one has a very unique feel on the track. Here's what I've noticed so far that makes it different than others I've driven. Please keep in mind my experience is currently limited to very high grip black CRC carpet.

* The power delivery is different. It's faster. Reminds me of the A700. It's subtle so I don't feel it anymore, but I noticed it immediately when I got the car.

* The car rolls very little. There's zero chassis rub. It glides through sweepers with ease because it's not dragging. It also means I don't have to trim my bodies 15mm above the racing surface to keep them from dragging.

* It's very easy on tires. Significantly easier than other cars so far. So much so that I think the car has less tire fade over a run because they don't heat up.

* Extremely nimble and fast in transition, as you'd expect from the center design. The car gets through high speed direction changes unlike anything I've ever driven.

* Remarkable forward grip. Not sure why, but it's there.

* Substantially easier to drive in high grip than other cars, yet the lap times are often faster.

It took me 4 packs to beat my personal best with a T4'17. I've owned every single T4 and have spent many many hours fine tuning setups to suit me. And I easily beat it with a car that at the time had barely ever been run on carpet. To me that's a sign of something truly great. The last time that happened was with the original A700, and look how that's unfolded the past several years.

There's more time to be found. We've barely scratched the surface on setup for this platform and it's already got the pace to be a top contender in high grip racing where very few cars are capable of being competitive, especially in stock racing. And from what I hear, it might be even better outdoor.

There's a lot to like here. I'm gonna be sticking around and doing what I can to make it better. This project has turned into the most fun I've ever had in RC.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba View Post
Hey Cristian - the shop is really confusing. Says GZ2A but details are for the carpet car and vice versa.

Really like the car! I'm not allowed to buy any more cars this year but end of the year is coming soon haha. I may have to consider getting one of these to try out next year
It's not carpet and asphalt. It is Aluminum and Carbon. Can be confusing if you define them by surface, but they should not be. Who is to say that someone wants to run an aluminum car on asphalt or carbon on carpet?
Old 10-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
A few months ago I was pretty bored with my T4'17 and decided to pick up a Gizmo as a project car while I waited for the T4'18 to arrive. I've been watching the car for a while, and the announcement about the high grip conversion was enough to win me over.

I thought the Gizmo would be an Awesomatix with legacy shocks. I mean, that's how it looks in pictures, and they do share a lot of DNA. Most people agree that Awesomatix is now the apex predator of on-road racing, but some of us prefer legacy shocks for our own various reasons. And to be honest, the car builds and wrenches very much like an Awesomatix. What I didn't expect is just how dramatic the center motor design has on the feel and handling of this car on the track. It's truly different and in a class of its own. I've driven a lot of cars and this one has a very unique feel on the track. Here's what I've noticed so far that makes it different than others I've driven. Please keep in mind my experience is currently limited to very high grip black CRC carpet.

* The power delivery is different. It's faster. Reminds me of the A700. It's subtle so I don't feel it anymore, but I noticed it immediately when I got the car.

* The car rolls very little. There's zero chassis rub. It glides through sweepers with ease because it's not dragging. It also means I don't have to trim my bodies 15mm above the racing surface to keep them from dragging.

* It's very easy on tires. Significantly easier than other cars so far. So much so that I think the car has less tire fade over a run because they don't heat up.

* Extremely nimble and fast in transition, as you'd expect from the center design. The car gets through high speed direction changes unlike anything I've ever driven.

* Remarkable forward grip. Not sure why, but it's there.

* Substantially easier to drive in high grip than other cars, yet the lap times are often faster.

It took me 4 packs to beat my personal best with a T4'17. I've owned every single T4 and have spent many many hours fine tuning setups to suit me. And I easily beat it with a car that at the time had barely ever been run on carpet. To me that's a sign of something truly great. The last time that happened was with the original A700, and look how that's unfolded the past several years.

There's more time to be found. We've barely scratched the surface on setup for this platform and it's already got the pace to be a top contender in high grip racing where very few cars are capable of being competitive, especially in stock racing. And from what I hear, it might be even better outdoor.

There's a lot to like here. I'm gonna be sticking around and doing what I can to make it better. This project has turned into the most fun I've ever had in RC.
Aw shucks! I am blushing...
Old 10-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

It's not carpet and asphalt. It is Aluminum and Carbon. Can be confusing if you define them by surface, but they should not be. Who is to say that someone wants to run an aluminum car on asphalt or carbon on carpet?
It's probably because by now, most people (including me sometimes) go automatically by instinct: carpet = black crc = ultra high grip = aluminium chassis - and of course on the opposite site asphalt = low grip = flexy carbon chassis. Which isn't even wrong most of the time, but it shouldn't be that automatic and/or exclusive. Especially over here, where this insane-grip carpet has not yet spread as much, it's important to keep the perspectives a little broader - which is, admittedly, getting harder and harder to do, especially when reading rctech.net.
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Seems to break from naming conventions that the off-road folks use. It's very confusing for someone that has interesting in on-road and off-road but my bad. I'll have to make sure if I order one I'll need to pick up the C version.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Seems to break from naming conventions that the off-road folks use. It's very confusing for someone that has interesting in on-road and off-road but my bad. I'll have to make sure if I order one I'll need to pick up the C version.
Have you seen what Awesomatix calls their Aluminum Car?
Old 10-25-2017, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

The A800-C01B-AL?
That one?

Can I buy a vowel, Pat?
Old 10-25-2017, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Trez83 View Post
The A800-C01B-AL?
That one?

Can I buy a vowel, Pat?
Hehehe, no, that's a chassis I think. I was referring to the A800XA
Old 10-26-2017, 12:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Have you see what they call their carbon car?
And did you also read my very explicit mention of off-road. They use abbreviations of the surface type to differentiate their packages.

I'm really not sure if I want to buy a GZ2 any more if the owner of the company tries to make potential buyers look like idiots. I'll stick with my Awesomatix because Oleg is actually helpful. I was trying to be helpful but I guess constructive criticism is not welcome.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:25 AM
Tech Addict

And did you also read my very explicit mention of off-road. They use abbreviations of the surface type to differentiate their packages.

I'm really not sure if I want to buy a GZ2 any more if the owner of the company tries to make potential buyers look like idiots. I'll stick with my Awesomatix because Oleg is actually helpful. I was trying to be helpful but I guess constructive criticism is not welcome.
I fail to see your point as to how he made you look like an idiot.
I think you might have over-reacted a little. He simply told you what the car’s names imply.
I’m sorry if the names are not what you are used to in the off road world. In on road, the cars are delineated by their chassis type, not application. There is no rule that says you have to run a carbon chassis outdoors only. Some guys/girls like the flex a carbon chassis gives them. It’s a personal preference. His point of referring to Awesomatix is that their aluminum chassis car is labeled with an “A” as well, not “carpet.”
If you are new to on road, interested in the car and are unsure what to buy for your application, these forums are a good place to ask questions. The Gizmo family is a friendly, tight knit community. Many guys will be more than happy to talk to you to put you on the path you desire.

Last edited by Trez83; 10-26-2017 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 159 (100%+)

I personally think that it is difficult to understand the "emotion"/ mind set when people are conveying over the internet. I personally know CT, and i dont think ive ever heard him say anything bad about anyone. I wouldn't think it was personal from either one of you guys, if i was the one who responded to your message. Its just how things get mis interpretted when theyre typed, as oppose to when they are talked about in person.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by thecaptain View Post
I personally think that it is difficult to understand the "emotion"/ mind set when people are conveying over the internet.
All the more reason to be careful about HOW you say things.
My work is 90% about communication and if anyone responds with a one liner that's just screaming passive aggressive. I don't have to work with Cristian and if I can't understand the way he is, especially as business will all have to be done remotely then I won't do business. You have a product to sell, you're not going to be a tool to your target audience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service