Wiki Posts
Search

Slipper clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Slipper clutch question

So today i changed the spur gear on my tamiya dn01 because the 77t one i had showed alot of wear by a group of 10-15 teeth. When i put a 72t spur on with the slipper clutch all seemed fine. Testing the car on my stand worked and seemed fine, but when i placed it on the ground it slipped so bad to almost no acceleration. I loosened, tightened back and forth both the slipper and ball diff. I even reinstalled the spur and slipper 3 times. All with the same problem no acceleration once the tires are on the ground. Any help as to why?
Old 09-18-2017, 05:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Is the new spur gear the exact same thickness? If it's thinner then you might have some slop in there without any opportunity for the slipper pads to engage.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

I'm not familiar with that car, but is there a pin on the top shaft that might have fallen out that connects the slipper or gear inside the transmission to the shaft?
Old 09-19-2017, 01:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think now it was the slipper pads that might be the issue. I had no extras so they are coming tomorrow. I think when i flipped the car it caused the spur and pinion mesh to jam and caused the spur to get chewed. It possibly ruined the slipper pads because one showed alot of wear